News Article: Kirill Petrov *Expected to sign ELC July 1 - Staple*

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Meh, these are hockey players. Who the f cares what they say in a silly interview, particularly translated so we lose any nuances / tone? We'll see in camp.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
I still don't get a good feeling about this, and this interview just confirms it. In the interview, I expected him to say something like "I've always wanted to test myself in the NHL" or something like that for the reason he's coming over. But I get the feeling that he NEVER had intentions of coming to the Isles, and this is only happening because his team didn't think he was worth the money they were paying him, so they dumped him. I feel that's the only reason he's coming. And he sure doesn't seem excited about it, in fact the only thing he seeks excited about is the 6 month out clause. Let's not forget, this is only a 1 year deal. What happens next year ?

If Petrov can't crack the Isles lineup next year, it will be one and done for him in the NHL. He will most likely head back to the KHL and play for one of the better funded teams. That is why it will be so interesting to see what management does with him and how his game translates to the NHL.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
I still don't get a good feeling about this, and this interview just confirms it. In the interview, I expected him to say something like "I've always wanted to test myself in the NHL" or something like that for the reason he's coming over. But I get the feeling that he NEVER had intentions of coming to the Isles, and this is only happening because his team didn't think he was worth the money they were paying him, so they dumped him. I feel that's the only reason he's coming. And he sure doesn't seem excited about it, in fact the only thing he seeks excited about is the 6 month out clause. Let's not forget, this is only a 1 year deal. What happens next year ?

I would not make too much out of one interview made for domestic consumption. He's a home town boy leaving "Mother Russia" for North America, and he telling his Russian fans he is sad that he's leaving. This is normal; I look forward to Petrov finally in the fold, and hope he has a promising future in the NHL. I'm optimistic; Petrov hopefully will make the team, and add some size to the forward group. Again, we should be welcoming this kid with open arms. Here's to him having many successful years in an Isles uniform, while not forgetting where he's been. It's all good.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Former trophies won by Kirill Petrov:
IIHF World U18 Championships First Team All-Star, 2008
Ak-bars Kazan "Most goals by second-line right wing"-Trophy, 2012
Tatarstan Biggest Head Award, 2010

scott99

May 13, 2005
Former trophies won by Kirill Petrov:
IIHF World U18 Championships First Team All-Star, 2008
Ak-bars Kazan "Most goals by second-line right wing"-Trophy, 2012
Tatarstan Biggest Head Award, 2010

Third one made me laugh out loud.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
what do you guys think he will do in 2015-2016?

if we made his o/u 10 NHL goals I think I'd take the under.

Idk really. He will honestly be a wildcard.

I will take 30 points. Similar production to Kulemin. He'll be a big kid (rookie, 25)

Gotta factor in NA adjustment too. We don't even know if he'll make the team, TBH

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Idk really. He will honestly be a wildcard.

I will take 30 points. Similar production to Kulemin. He'll be a big kid (rookie, 25)

Gotta factor in NA adjustment too. We don't even know if he'll make the team, TBH

I would absolutely sign up for that. I'm optimistic on Petrov, I just have a feeling he's not going to see significant NHL ice time unless there is a trade or 2.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I would absolutely sign up for that. I'm optimistic on Petrov, I just have a feeling he's not going to see significant NHL ice time unless there is a trade or 2.

Agreed stranger.

We have a log jam of forwards. Too many top 9 role players.

I'm hoping Garth explores some trades, and only if he can upgrade who he gets rid of if that makes sense. I might be in the minority, but I am all for trading one or two of Nielsen, Bailey, or Grabner, etc if we can upgrade em. Not sure if Kirill can be an upgrade tho. It's gotta be the right deal, not giving them away for nothing. Grabner probably has the least value among them tho because of the injuries sustained.

All the reports I have read about Petrov is that he might be a more offensively gifted Kulemin.

Either way, gotta take it easy on him. He needs to adjust to NA ice. But he has the size and the skill set to be a good power forward in the NHL. Just gotta see how he adjusts.

Whats good is that he was playing in the KHL a while... Easily the 2nd ranked league, but he is coming off of a down year. I'll take a Kulemin exquisite player. Would be amazing if he can be better.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I honestly think his style of play will fit the NHL better than the KHL. I wouldn't look too much into the stats he had in Ak-Bars either. FYI Ovechkin scored 13 goals in 37 games for Dynamo Moscow the season before he went to Capitals and scored 52 goals in 81 games as a rookie. Not saying The Pet will get close to 50 goals but he could easily pot 20 - 30 with the right support.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I honestly think his style of play will fit the NHL better than the KHL. I wouldn't look too much into the stats he had in Ak-Bars either. FYI Ovechkin scored 13 goals in 37 games for Dynamo Moscow the season before he went to Capitals and scored 52 goals in 81 games as a rookie. Not saying The Pet will get close to 50 goals but he could easily pot 20 - 30 with the right support.

Who knows with this coach too. Fellow fans on here draw up better lineups than Cappy.

I will say with certainty that Petrov should be a top 9 player for our team, if moves are made. They might want to let him play down in BP a little to see what he has got. It would be diastarious however if they make another Cory Conacher type of signing for the team while Petrov is rotting down in the AHL. Similar to what happened with Lee during the beginning of last yr.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Who knows with this coach too. Fellow fans on here draw up better lineups than Cappy.

I will say with certainty that Petrov should be a top 9 player for our team, if moves are made. They might want to let him play down in BP a little to see what he has got. It would be diastarious however if they make another Cory Conacher type of signing for the team while Petrov is rotting down in the AHL. Similar to what happened with Lee during the beginning of last yr.

E3: Ross Johnston takes his spot and The Pet is waived to Carolina.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

You mean another Garth Snow Special? Thank God Snow is busy with signing Hickey Mouse :sarcasm:

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
what do you guys think he will do in 2015-2016?

if we made his o/u 10 NHL goals I think I'd take the under.

He'll find Kirill Kabanov in a dumpster behind the Brooklyn Brewery, dust him off and the two will go on to become the most lethal one/two scoring punch the World has ever known...
at flip cup!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We aren't trading anyone just yet. This team is known for waiting until the dust clears and then wait a few more months, if not years to make a move.

Nielsen is NOT going anywhere. we didn't add him in a trade for Saad when the Hawks wanted him and he is considered a "core" player. The ONE thing this team does honour is Loyalty and that is all Nielsen. He breathes, bleeds and sweats Isles. As he gets older, his role will change, not to mention he is valuable on the PP and PK PLUS the shootout.

2015 Lines?

Petrov-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Kulemin-Nelson-Grabovski
Martin-Zeeker-Clutter

Grabner/Lee I am thinking players will rotate. I would rather have a rotation then rely on call up duties from the likes of Conacher....we still have more depth with McDonald and Mollierat. Come playoff time, we will need NHL level depth, NOT AHL call up depth.

By rotating, other teams will need to change their game to defend against different play styles..ie. Grabner comes in...other teams will need to watch their PP or Grabner will shoot right past them. etc etc.

My question is..what exactly are our plans, if any, for Tyler Kennedy? Are we just gonna let him go UFA or are we going to use him in some sort of trade?

IF we do make a trade, it will be for one more vet dman. I am thinking Phaneuf for a salary dump from the Leafs. Just not sure what we would give up to get him....we'd be in the drivers seat though. Either all picks which I don't think we'd do or 2 mid 6 or 1 mid top 6 and a 3rd and salary retention or something to reduce contract cost.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

That's not gonna happen simply because Snow's put too much time and effort to get him signed and here. Although, I do think its likely that he'll spend a bit of time in BP to get acclimated and let the team figure out a way to address the forward situation. Of course, its not like Lee spent so much time down in BP, so if Petrov hangs out at BP for 10 game or so, not the end of the world. No chance that Snow lets him stay there all season and then he heads back to Russia. Too much time and energy spent getting him here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad