News Article: Kirill Petrov *Expected to sign ELC July 1 - Staple*

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
We aren't trading anyone just yet. This team is known for waiting until the dust clears and then wait a few more months, if not years to make a move.

Nielsen is NOT going anywhere. we didn't add him in a trade for Saad when the Hawks wanted him and he is considered a "core" player. The ONE thing this team does honour is Loyalty and that is all Nielsen. He breathes, bleeds and sweats Isles. As he gets older, his role will change, not to mention he is valuable on the PP and PK PLUS the shootout.

2015 Lines?

Petrov-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Kulemin-Nelson-Grabovski
Martin-Zeeker-Clutter

Grabner/Lee I am thinking players will rotate. I would rather have a rotation then rely on call up duties from the likes of Conacher....we still have more depth with McDonald and Mollierat. Come playoff time, we will need NHL level depth, NOT AHL call up depth.

By rotating, other teams will need to change their game to defend against different play styles..ie. Grabner comes in...other teams will need to watch their PP or Grabner will shoot right past them. etc etc.

My question is..what exactly are our plans, if any, for Tyler Kennedy? Are we just gonna let him go UFA or are we going to use him in some sort of trade?

IF we do make a trade, it will be for one more vet dman. I am thinking Phaneuf for a salary dump from the Leafs. Just not sure what we would give up to get him....we'd be in the drivers seat though. Either all picks which I don't think we'd do or 2 mid 6 or 1 mid top 6 and a 3rd and salary retention or something to reduce contract cost.

It's great how we put the new guys right to the top line.
What happened to work your way up?
Tyler Kennedy ? Really? Trade his rights? Where are you going with that?
He is certainly not coming back .Let him go free agency. He would jump at a minimum 1 way contract at this point. I hope it is not the isles that make the offer.
Maybe if you want trade his rights for a future 8 th round pick .
Now Grabner, other teams will change their strategy. Maybe they can pull the goalie while he is on the ice.
Phaneuf, this guy has value. I hate him after the Okposo hit from way back.
Taking exception to that and add in his dashing good looks. This guy will bring TML
A nice return when they are ready.

Yes , I know the draft is only 7 rounds
Cheers

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It's great how we put the new guys right to the top line.
What happened to work your way up?
Tyler Kennedy ? Really? Trade his rights? Where are you going with that?
He is certainly not coming back .Let him go free agency. He would jump at a minimum 1 way contract at this point. I hope it is not the isles that make the offer.
Maybe if you want trade his rights for a future 8 th round pick .
Now Grabner, other teams will change their strategy. Maybe they can pull the goalie while he is on the ice.
Phaneuf, this guy has value. I hate him after the Okposo hit from way back.
Taking exception to that and add in his dashing good looks. This guy will bring TML
A nice return when they are ready.

Yes , I know the draft is only 7 rounds
Cheers

In fairness, the right to negotiate with Tyler Kennedy in advance of the FA starting line is worth its weight in gold. I'm thinking 2nd....3rd rounder at the worst. :dunno:

BroadwayJay*

Kvasha - Yashin - Czerkawski ?

I remember Blake - Yashin - Asham in the playoffs :rant:

Sterling was the worst coach this team ever had in my opinion.

I remember Czerkawski and Yashin, but I hadn't thought about Oleg Kvasha for a decade until I discovered these boards. :laugh:

Then I came to learn he was a topic of frequent discussion. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
LOVE the Top 6 projections for Petrov without ever seeing him play in a professional North American league. LOVE THEM!

Relax man. Some of us dropped huge caveats about ability level, but even the ones who didn't likely were thinking the same thing. No one expects chopped liver to get a chance on the first unit. It is also entirely possible this many years in the KHL has him as ready as he is going to be to make the leap. It is hard to imagine Kazan was not better than our amazing Bridgeport squad.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Relax man. Some of us dropped huge caveats about ability level, but even the ones who didn't likely were thinking the same thing. No one expects chopped liver to get a chance on the first unit. It is also entirely possible this many years in the KHL has him as ready as he is going to be to make the leap. It is hard to imagine Kazan was not better than our amazing Bridgeport squad.

All this may be true, but he is still no Oleg Kvasha.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
You also have to figure that snow may or may not have agreed to not send petrov down to the AHL as a way of enticing him to sign.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
You also have to figure that snow may or may not have agreed to not send petrov down to the AHL as a way of enticing him to sign.

I don't know if snow can afford to make promises like that. If this guy under performs, or just isn't what anyone is oping he'll be, that option has to be available. We also have an abundance of players at forward currently.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
All this may be true, but he is still no Oleg Kvasha.

You know who the OHL is named after, right?
And the KHL.
Do you think it is coincidence Kyle's last name is OKposo? "Poso" in ancient Ukranian means "Wants to be like." All the signs point towards the cigarette smoke near the training bike my friend.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Who knows with this coach too. Fellow fans on here draw up better lineups than Cappy.

I will say with certainty that Petrov should be a top 9 player for our team, if moves are made. They might want to let him play down in BP a little to see what he has got. It would be diastarious however if they make another Cory Conacher type of signing for the team while Petrov is rotting down in the AHL. Similar to what happened with Lee during the beginning of last yr.

Don't see this happening. We have too many young guys who need to keep getting ice time and the team still needs to figure out if what we have is already right moving forward.

Should Strome or Okposo play on JT's right?

Should Nelson, Lee or even Bailey be on his left?

Would Dal Colle be able to show in a 9 game trial that he's NHL-ready in a top six producing role?

Heck, maybe even Petrov comes in and looks like JUST the right piece up front?

Don't think Snow will be looking for that answer from the outside at this juncture.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He'll find Kirill Kabanov in a dumpster behind the Brooklyn Brewery, dust him off and the two will go on to become the most lethal one/two scoring punch the World has ever known...
at flip cup!

Actually, Kabanov has 'resurrected' his career considerably with vice champion Skelleftea in the SHL. In total, he had 14-21-35 and - are you all ready for this - a +26 rating in 56 games. He was actually on a better pace to start the season until he got his bell rung in such a manner, that it was even questionable whether he'd walk again.

So he missed a good bit of regular season time and had to kind of start all over heading into the playoffs.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We aren't trading anyone just yet. This team is known for waiting until the dust clears and then wait a few more months, if not years to make a move.

If Snow wants anything more out of this upcoming draft, it's gonna be through moving a few bodies.

I think we all agree that there's little Grabner can do to gain a starting role here as things are, when 12 other current forwards are healthy. With another hernia operation several weeks ago, us adding at least Petrov to the mix makes things look real grim for him.

Also, no way around it - something has to budge on the blueline. Sure would hope he 'moves' an asset rather than letting it walk or losing it on waivers come the fall. This is taking into consideration that each of Reinhart, Pulock and Mayfield will need to be worked in over the next two seasons AND the blueline technically needs a top 4 upgrade.

Nielsen is NOT going anywhere. we didn't add him in a trade for Saad when the Hawks wanted him and he is considered a "core" player. The ONE thing this team does honour is Loyalty and that is all Nielsen. He breathes, bleeds and sweats Isles. As he gets older, his role will change, not to mention he is valuable on the PP and PK PLUS the shootout.

We have no real proof that Saad was ever really on the table for Garth, much less that Nielsen was the desired asset going the other way.

Much more concerning here is that the team is logjamming up the middle (although you can expect Grabovski to be out for another 30 some games this season) while not having found an ideal winger option for JT. In addition, Frans is one season from UFAville and WILL get his best contract to date. And he should. He deserves it.

There is no hometown offer coming that can keep him here.

we still have more depth with McDonald and Mollierat.

Don't believe either will be in the picture.

By rotating, other teams will need to change their game to defend against different play styles..ie. Grabner comes in...other teams will need to watch their PP or Grabner will shoot right past them. etc etc.

Interesting thought. If Grabner isn't moved, something like this may very well happen.

My question is..what exactly are our plans, if any, for Tyler Kennedy?

None. He walks...

IF we do make a trade, it will be for one more vet dman. I am thinking Phaneuf for a salary dump from the Leafs. Just not sure what we would give up to get him....

Aside from him not being a good fit for this team for a number of reasons, I think a few other teams out there can offer Toronto better options.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Detroit in a deal involving Anthony Mantha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad