Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You know what's just a little bit depressing?

Tampa re-signing a guy that is .95 points-per-game in his last 283 regular season games + 1.09 points-per-game in his 67 career playoff games to an 8 x $9.5M deal when our guy, who is .93 points-per-game in 55 career games, turned down 8 x $8.5M (and maybe a bit more).

9.5M in Florida is like 11M in Minnesota, though. And I'm pretty sure with good linemates Kaprizov can be at least as productive as Point.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
9.5M in Florida is like 11M in Minnesota, though. And I'm pretty sure with good linemates Kaprizov can be at least as productive as Point.

Yeah, but if you look at what he's actually done, Point is probably worth $15M if Kaprizov wants $11M.

Crude estimate, but if Kaprizov was given Point's exact contract, he'd be paying ~$5.9M in state taxes that Point is not over the 8 years (assuming no changes over that time), ~$740k per year.

So more like $9.5 in Florida is like $10.25 in Minnesota.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, but if you look at what he's actually done, Point is probably worth $15M if Kaprizov wants $11M.

Crude estimate, but if Kaprizov was given Point's exact contract, he'd be paying ~$5.9M in state taxes that Point is not over the 8 years (assuming no changes over that time), ~$740k per year.

So more like $9.5 in Florida is like $10.25 in Minnesota.
I don't think money is much of a factor at all in Kaprizov's thinking.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That would be extremely surprising to me.
Why? He knows that he owes Minnesota the next 3 years regardless, so sign a contract for those 3 years and then make a decision about the rest of his career. Why lock yourself into a team with a questionable at best future if you don't have to? Why sign a long term deal when the league is in a terrible financial situation at the moment? The only reason to consider a long term deal with Minnesota at this moment is if he gets an offer that would be dumb to turn down. That number is probably $10M at this point.

Worry about Kap and his future with Minnesota when we hear that he's turning down 4 or 5 year deals. The deal would already be done if Guerin was willing to negotiate

Reactions: PM88RU

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No, you are way off. What is never mentioned in these discussions is that players are taxed by every city that they play in during the course of the year, which evens out the overall tax load.

Also, if Kap wants to go to the Rangers, Hawks, LA, Bruins, etc., he will find the state taxes to be higher than in MN, and the living expenses WAY higher.

Kaprizov needs to prove that he is as good as, or better than other players over an extended period of time. Oh, and Point is a C. They are always worth more.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No, you are way off. What is never mentioned in these discussions is that players are taxed by every city that they play in during the course of the year, which evens out the overall tax load.

Also, if Kap wants to go to the Rangers, Hawks, LA, Bruins, etc., he will find the state taxes to be higher than in MN, and the living expenses WAY higher.

Kaprizov needs to prove that he is as good as, or better than other players over an extended period of time. Oh, and Point is a C. They are always worth more.

Signing bonuses get around this.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

This is not true about taxes.

Cap friendly has a tax calculator and 23 jurisdictions have a lower tax than Minnesota while only 8 are higher.

Boston 4.44% lower and Chicago is 4.57% lower and NY is 2.76% lower while LA is 1.48% higher. Those are on a $1 million dollar salary

Reactions: Northerner

PM88RU

Dec 24, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Why? He knows that he owes Minnesota the next 3 years regardless, so sign a contract for those 3 years and then make a decision about the rest of his career. Why lock yourself into a team with a questionable at best future if you don't have to? Why sign a long term deal when the league is in a terrible financial situation at the moment? The only reason to consider a long term deal with Minnesota at this moment is if he gets an offer that would be dumb to turn down. That number is probably $10M at this point.

Worry about Kap and his future with Minnesota when we hear that he's turning down 4 or 5 year deals. The deal would already be done if Guerin was willing to negotiate

Very true. And what one should also consider is that moving to NA is a very big deal for anyone out of NA, and once you made that decision, it's natural to look for a place where you'd want to stay and spend a big part of your life. And community probably means much for a foreigner.

In general, NHL players are rarely been given a freedom of choice. Neither when you're drafted, nor during your active contract, cause if you don't happen to have NTC, you can be sold any day no matter what you want and where you want to play. That is business, nothing personal.

So if any player don't happen to immediately fall in love with the home city of the team he was drafted by, and want to explore all the aviabilities of being a UFA to finally be able to choose, how can you judge a player for that?

There is a risk his play will decline in 3 years, sure, and you might not get the money you are being offered now on a long-term. But actually, in a 3 years, would you rather choose extra 0.5-1 mln in a year over the ability to live in the place you and your family would prefer? It's not like a choice of poor vs rich, players (esp good ones) are paid well enough to have a caviar on the bread in any case.

In a world full of opportunities and uncertainties, I won't be the one to judge Kirill for being not sure of what he'll want in a 3 year and not willing to sign for a longer.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Guerin is so stupid, he should just accept Kaprizov's terms and sign him 3 years. The kid has made it clear he wants to explore the market when he becomes a UFA. But at least the Wild will have him for a while, and then have a chance to re-sign him. Who knows, maybe by then he likes it here, a lot can happen in a period of 3 years.

Reactions: PM88RU and kp61c

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Guerin is so stupid, he should just accept Kaprizov's terms and sign him 3 years. The kid has made it clear he wants to explore the market when he becomes a UFA. But at least the Wild will have him for a while, and then have a chance to re-sign him. Who knows, maybe by then he likes it here, a lot can happen in a period of 3 years.
Signing Kaprizov for 3 years would be stupider than anything Guerin's done so far.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

The chance to re-sign him after 3 years is a terrible one.

Reactions: HotDish

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
If he wants to explore UFA in 3 years BG should just make him sign his QO and treat him just like any other RFA with no rights.

Here's the deal sign it or go back to KHL for 3 years

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If he wants to explore UFA in 3 years BG should just make him sign his QO and treat him just like any other RFA with no rights.

Here's the deal sign it or go back to KHL for 3 years
I think that's basically what Guerin is doing. He has the 8 year deal on the table and calling Kaprizov's bluff that he has any leverage to do otherwise.

I think that's why all the reports have said that there's little talking going on between them. I think at the least, Guerin wants to make Kaprizov be the first one to offer a 4-5-6 year deal.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
2021-state-income-tax-rates.-2021-state-individual-income-tax-rates.-States-with-no-income-tax.-2021-top-state-marginal-individual-income-tax-rates.png

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think that's basically what Guerin is doing. He has the 8 year deal on the table and calling Kaprizov's bluff that he has any leverage to do otherwise.

I think that's why all the reports have said that there's little talking going on between them. I think at the least, Guerin wants to make Kaprizov be the first one to offer a 4-5-6 year deal.
And I actually think Guerin is handling this the correct way

Reactions: HotDish

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And I actually think Guerin is handling this the correct way
I'ts impossible to know if it's the correct way, but I can understand why he would be annoyed with the antics being used by Kaprizov and his agent. The concern is that there have already been some hints that Guerin doesn't react well when his emotions get involved.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'ts impossible to know if it's the correct way, but I can understand why he would be annoyed with the antics being used by Kaprizov and his agent. The concern is that there have already been some hints that Guerin doesn't react well when his emotions get involved.

And that is hurting the team. Not good.

I remember Guerin was doing a podcast with Russo, Leipold calls, he was at the airport and wanted Guerin to pick him up. Guerin: I don't have time, call somebody else :laugh:

So it looks like Guerin is running everything around here, even the owner.

Filip

Jan 29, 2021
If we compare Pont and Kaprizov, then of course, Kirill is more stronger. Firstly, Kirill the station wagon, which can both work out in two directions, is equally successful tj be play-maker and completing attacks. Kirill is the most correct to compare with Brad Marchand, although Marchand loves to be play-maker. About this level will be Kirill, starting next year. It costs 11 million or not - to decide to the general manager.

Kirill is a new star in NHL, like McDavid, MacKinnon and Matthews.
This is a new confrontation in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
From Russian (Kaprizov) standpoint, albeit the NHL is the best league in the world, it's business practices are immensely restrictive. You literally have no rights.

From the beginning you're 100% restricted to the team that drafts you. You can't unilaterally terminate a contact. There are no 'out-clauses'. There are no 'gentlemen agreements' insofar that whatever is on paper is the law of the land. Everything is in favor of the corporation.

I mean good heavens, if I were 1 year into working abroad (any job), why would I sign my life away with an extended contract? That's lunacy. Professionally and otherwise, who the hell knows that will occur in the future. I mean maybe Don Cherry becomes coach of the Wild. Who knows.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From Russian (Kaprizov) standpoint, albeit the NHL is the best league in the world, it's business practices are immensely restrictive. You literally have no rights.

From the beginning you're 100% restricted to the team that drafts you. You can't unilaterally terminate a contact. There are no 'out-clauses'. There are no 'gentlemen agreements' insofar that whatever is on paper is the law of the land. Everything is in favor of the corporation.

I mean good heavens, if I were 1 year into working abroad (any job), why would I sign my life away with an extended contract? That's lunacy. Professionally and otherwise, who the hell knows that will occur in the future. I mean maybe Don Cherry becomes coach of the Wild. Who knows.
All of this was collectively bargained with the players, so the players agreed to this themselves. It's good business for the league as it allows the fans to become fans of players too, not just teams, and promotes jersey sales... all of that money benefits the players as well.

Yet the players still get free agency during their prime at the same time.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
All of this was collectively bargained with the players, so the players agreed to this themselves. It's good business for the league as it allows the fans to become fans of players too, not just teams, and promotes jersey sales... all of that money benefits the players as well.

Yet the players still get free agency during their prime at the same time.

Right, but this derives from a majority North American perspective (most of NHLPA, especially leadership is North American).
Such actions from Russian perspective is lunacy.

Imagine if KHL was best league in the world and, as a upper tier talent, your only option as a foreigner was to sign with Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk for 8 years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Right, but this derives from a majority North American perspective (most of NHLPA, especially leadership is North American).
Such actions from Russian perspective is lunacy.

Imagine if KHL was best league in the world and, as a upper tier talent, your only option as a foreigner was to sign with Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk for 8 years.

Imagine if you were a fan of Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk and your team never got any top talent because everyone just wants to play in Moscow or St. Petersburg?

Kaprizov would have had plenty of rights at this point had he not waited six years to come over. His problem, not ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad