Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov lll

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I don't mean to sound like Risebrough here, but let's manage our expectations just a little bit. The potential is there, and I'm excited about it too. But let's not put the weight of the franchise on this kid.....

Reactions: AJ Thelen

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mean to sound like Risebrough here, but let's manage our expectations just a little bit. The potential is there, and I'm excited about it too. But let's not put the weight of the franchise on this kid.....
I expect a great career, but my expectations for year one are not high at all. That is subject to change if he’s on the same line as Domi and Fiala

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I mean the guy is gonna be 23. That’s when a lot of players have career years. Give him 10-20 games to get adjusted, but I’d expect him to finish the year at a similar pace to Fiala this year

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm with the tempering expectations crowd. Kaprizov has never played in a league as good as the NHL, though he has played in some high level international tournaments, but they are a different animal.

In the league Kap is playing in, Teemu Pulkinnen is 5th in goal scoring. He couldn't even play in the NHL.

He will need some time to get accustomed to the speed and strength of the best league in the world.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
:laugh:

I think Dano once mentioned that he nicknamed him Hemisphere because of how big he's going to be.
Here's a sneak peek of Kap 5yrs from now on the right... living up to the Hemisphere nickname.
nordiquesmith-youtube.png

Reactions: BagHead

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I'm with the tempering expectations crowd. Kaprizov has never played in a league as good as the NHL, though he has played in some high level international tournaments, but they are a different animal.

In the league Kap is playing in, Teemu Pulkinnen is 5th in goal scoring. He couldn't even play in the NHL.

He will need some time to get accustomed to the speed and strength of the best league in the world.

Teemu is one of those players who was also hyped up a lot as the next Finnish goal-scorer, and for a good reason. He had that Holy Slapper™ of his, and put up a lot of points not only in our domestic league but also in AHL. He also looked decent in his short stints with Detroit up in NHL. That slapper alone was a formidable weapon, but unfortunately he was also a bit of a one-trick pony. It would've been interesting to see his career had he worked more on his skating, strength and conditioning, and, well, a lot of other aspects needed in hockey. As is, however, he could still do well in the NHL in a strict offensive power play weapon role. But, unfortunately, nobody would sign a player just to do that, especially not a forward.

In a lot of ways, the story of Pulkkinen is very typical of a player who just could not adapt to NHL speed, but is undeniably very talented in his specialty. It is also a good example of what happens when you put all your points into a single attribute.

As for Kaprizov... such signs are not present. He can shoot, he can pass, he has by all accounts a very good hockey IQ (at least offensively) and he has improved his skating, too. And to top it off, he seems like one of those deceptively strong types, not afraid of going into hard areas or knocking a guy over. I don't see him becoming another Pulkkinen, but I would still err on the side of caution instead of expecting a PPG rookie season and becoming the sole savior of Minnesota Wild. He will need an adjustment period, but the good thing with his extended stay in KHL is that he has matured a lot and become an adult physically. So, hopefully that period won't be too long, and he is given enough of a leash to succeed here.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Puhis, I hope you are right about KK. I suspect that he is going to be a top6 player at worst, but also think that the KHL is overhyped a lot. Many, many players can't make the adjustment to the better league, where everything is bigger, stronger, and faster.

Good to have you posting again. Any thoughts on Lundell for the 2020 draft, btw?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
OH, how about....SPHERE....! The team will make up some name for him.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Puhis, I hope you are right about KK. I suspect that he is going to be a top6 player at worst, but also think that the KHL is overhyped a lot. Many, many players can't make the adjustment to the better league, where everything is bigger, stronger, and faster.

Good to have you posting again. Any thoughts on Lundell for the 2020 draft, btw?

His father Jan Lundell was a great goalie when I was growing up. About Anton... I haven't followed him too closely. Been kinda busy with other things, so hockey has sadly been on the back foot.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
i came up with hemi because his birthday is 426 same as late 60's legendary muscle cars (check value) with 426 racing engine. i never said hemisphere however that probably applies 2!
lol I know, man. I was just giving you some grief because you've explained that a bunch of times. No harm meant. :)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've got a blank white Wild jersey. I think I'm going to get Kaprizov stitched on there the day we find out what number he'll be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad