Waived: Kirill Kabanov

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Best of luck to KK wherever his adventures take him - provided it is outside the NHL and not against the Isles.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I wish I could remember who it was fighting me tooth and nail about how wrong I was in my evaluation of KK. The pick was worth the risk but once I saw him play all I saw was Robin Figren.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Kabanov's Facebook page: "I think it is time to say goodbye to all NY Islanders fans. Thank you for all your wishes and for great support through all those years. It was my choice to move and huge respect to Garth for understanding. I spend 4 years with the Islanders organization and never had a chance to play even in AHL for them. But I still appreciate Islanders Medical staff for being with me after injury i get my first year in Bridgeport. and all the staff in Islanders organization.. And specially fans . You will be my friends forever no matter what team i will play in the future. I made great friends and fall in love with Long Island, but it is time to move."

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Kabanov's Facebook page: "I think it is time to say goodbye to all NY Islanders fans. Thank you for all your wishes and for great support through all those years. It was my choice to move and huge respect to Garth for understanding. I spend 4 years with the Islanders organization and never had a chance to play even in AHL for them. But I still appreciate Islanders Medical staff for being with me after injury i get my first year in Bridgeport. and all the staff in Islanders organization.. And specially fans . You will be my friends forever no matter what team i will play in the future. I made great friends and fall in love with Long Island, but it is time to move."

This was his problem...he was given a chance to play in the AHL. And he didn't measure up, so he was shipped to the ECHL. He played a total of 48 games in the AHL and scored 5 goals.

For all of the hype, the production just wasn't there. Seems like he wasn't willing to earn his shot, he expected to be given ice time.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The good news for him is he has the KHL to fall back on. Maybe it can provide a better comfort level and he can find his game again.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Kirill Kabanov
32 mins ·

"I think it is time to say goodbye to all NY Islanders fans. Thank you for all your wishes and for great support through all those years. It was my choice to move and huge respect to Garth for understanding. I spend 4 years with the Islanders organization and never had a chance to play even in AHL for them. But I still appreciate Islanders Medical staff for being with me after injury i get my first year in Bridgeport. and all the staff in Islanders organization.. And specially fans . You will be my friends forever no matter what team i will play in the future. I made great friends and fall in love with Long Island, but it is time to move."

Kirill's facebook message. https://www.facebook.com/kabanov17?fref=nf

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Disappointing... As someone who watched him during his brief junior career, part of me wanted to see him do well.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
I wanted this kid to work out as soon as he was drafted. But this is the problem sometimes drafting Russian kids; they can always play back at home. He was given chances to succeed but perhap he just wasn't mature enough to make it happen.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
The Trill Is Gone!

It looks like Krill "The Trill" Kabnov has turned out to be the next "Sleepy" Dmitri Nabokov, 1st Round Talent wasted.

But the writing was on the wall, the Isles can only has 50 players under contract. So I'm not too surprised especially when he wasn't at the prospects camp. I would rather have the Isles waived a minor league stiff like Colon McDonald or some those bag of used jockstraps that Garth Snow signed two week ago.

He turns 22 tomorrow, which means he's still young enough to mature in time to make something of himself. He can either start by investing in an alarm clock or go work in the Lada plant in Other Siberia........

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Kabanov just wasn't good enough. He never really showed much, not even in junior. He had a couple of good games in the memorial cup but hardly earth shattering, did nothing in the AHL. I agree it was worth the risk at the draft, no doubt about it.

The odd thing is that it was his lack of ability, not his maturity or attitude or work ethic that kept him from the NHL.

It happens. I wish the kid well, hopefully he catches on with another organization in the NHL or Europe.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
The odd thing is that it was his lack of ability, not his maturity or attitude or work ethic that kept him from the NHL.

It happens. I wish the kid well, hopefully he catches on with another organization in the NHL or Europe.

Wouldn't maturity, attitude, and work ethic be major factors in having ability?

@ChrisBottaNHL Memory of Kirill Kabanov: Each time I finally tracked down his latest agent's contact info, he had a new agent. Had at least 6.
I think this speaks volumes. It was worth a shot. He has some talent and I hope when he signs wherever it helps him develop into a serviceable player.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No, he's right there was a poster on here who warned us not to be surprised of kabanov made the islanders opening night roster this season. Post was made approx 2 to 3 short weeks ago.

We all laughed at the thought, of course....

OMG really? I stand corrected then. It's really early for us to be getting so many candidates for numbskull post of the year lol.:laugh:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Truth About Kabanov

You can file Kabanov under the list of those Islanders that we love t obsess about for various reasons and on various levels. Guys like Bailey, DiPietro, etc.

In KK's case...I have no problem with the pick as anything you get after the 1st round of any NHL draft is an absolute win, so why not swing for the fences? The problem with Kabanov is that there was more to talk about him off the ice than on it. I guarantee that's never a good recipe for any professional athlete.

To me he was the Anna Kournikova of professional ice hockey...I felt like he wanted to have a career doing other things, and sports was just the way to get there. Honestly I see Kabanov hosting a show on MTV Europe way before I see him with a regular shift on any NHL team.

The bottom line truth on Kabanov is...His talent was overhyped by a gregarious attitude...And that attitude was never mature or passionate enough to make a living in the world's greatest hockey league.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The risk was worth it and we replaced him with his Canadian version (ho-sang)

This has to be a "character" or behaviour" or "attitude" move. This is very un-Isles-like to buy out a rookie contract that hasn't even stepped foot in an NHL game. I think normally, a team would give a few game shot to see what they can do at that level. This move was something planned for a while I think and finally they caved. I guess the kid is incorrigible. I REALLY wanted to see him get a 5 game look or something, especially with the decent time he had in Sweden.

oh well.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Was really expecting all the Snow haters to come out in full force on this one and scream bloody murder and talk about this DISASTER. Guess we are getting a reprieve!:handclap:

Everyone is still stunned that Matt Moulson/Thomas Vanek turned into Sebastian Collberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad