Waived: Kirill Kabanov

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
But some on here said he was in the running to make the Isles opening day roster.

:sarcasm:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
To be honest, I didn't know this needed to happen, didn't know what he was making in the ECHL, don't know what the buyout $$$ will be. I guess we're near the contract limit?

At least we'll always have this:

102438951_crop_650x440.jpg

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I feel this should be stickied, as Kabanov was a major player since he was drafted and a fan favorite. He will be missed :sarcasm:

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
This seems unnecessary and wasteful. Did he ever get a real shot at Bridgeport?

He did get a shot, sustained a real bad injury to his wrist and did not come back with the same compete level it seemed. He was a scorer in juniors that did not score in the AHL and did not seem to create a role for himself.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This seems unnecessary and wasteful. Did he ever get a real shot at Bridgeport?

48 games over two seasons, but IIRC, part of that was on the heels of a nasty arm injury. According to Staple, he still has behavioral issues.

And again, I wouldn't be surprised if this is about roster spaces. We're at 45 (after KK is gone) with de Haan, Poulin, and Cizikas still unsigned. I could be wrong but I think the limit is 50.

JoeLH

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Willie Nylander, who had a pretty good chemistry with KK in their short time together in Sweden, said that KK is an NHL player in his eyes. Ok, he's a rookie who never played in the NHL, but still.

It'll be interesting if he signs elsewhere in North America or goes back to Sweden or Russia.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I forgot that Dal Colle and Ho-Sang might get entry level deals, so yes, this is probably about the contract limit.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
Not a big loss, but I can't imagine it would have been worse to hold on to KK for one more year and waive Jason Clark instead. Unless it is discipline related, as well.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
@ChrisBottaNHL Memory of Kirill Kabanov: Each time I finally tracked down his latest agent's contact info, he had a new agent. Had at least 6.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He did get a shot, sustained a real bad injury to his wrist and did not come back with the same compete level it seemed. He was a scorer in juniors that did not score in the AHL and did not seem to create a role for himself.

If you call barely scoring over a point per game in his 3rd junior season, being a scorer, then more power to ya. BUT, he never lived up to that ridiculous hype his draft year. He has a weak shot, is not a great skater, and has zero hockey sense. All he has is skills as a stickhandler that never translated to the game.

It really is a shame because I LOVED that pick, I really believed the hype that he was going to be the next great Russian player.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
To be honest, I didn't know this needed to happen, didn't know what he was making in the ECHL, don't know what the buyout $$$ will be. I guess we're near the contract limit?

At least we'll always have this:

102438951_crop_650x440.jpg

In retrospect, maybe that photo should have told us something.... :laugh:

"Hey Kirill, we want a nice shot of you for the team website."

"Okay, how about this... AAAARRRGHHHHHHH!!!"

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
In retrospect, maybe that photo should have told us something.... :laugh:

"Hey Kirill, we want a nice shot of you for the team website."

"Okay, how about this... AAAARRRGHHHHHHH!!!"

That was the first of many times that people said "uhhhh... well it's only a third round pick".

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Man, skipping Development Camp seems to be the kiss of death in the Isles organization. Nino skips his 4th (1st optional for him) then he's gone. KK skips his 4th camp, he's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad