Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
With Dach showing he can most likely meet his potential, and give us a 1-2 punch down the middle with Suzuki. I really think our goal should be to draft a winger/ defenseman.

Beck will also be very good.

Our wet dream should be Michov in this draft.

• Love
Reactions: KevSkillz4

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
If we are fortunate enough to be in a position to draft Fantilli, and smart enough to draft him, the rebuild will be accelerated by a factor of 10.
If we get a top 5 pick and use it on a center (Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli, etc), I wonder if Hugo starts dangling Dach in order to get an upgrade on D.

I'd be ok with Beck replacing Dach on that 3C line.

Reactions: Gravity

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we get a top 5 pick and use it on a center (Bedard, Carlsson, Fantilli, etc), I wonder if Hugo starts dangling Dach in order to get an upgrade on D.

I'd be ok with Beck replacing Dach on that 3C line.

Dach has looked far better than what I assume is his trade value. Sure if Dach explodes this year AND we draft a good center at the draft, it's possible we move a center already.

But even in that scenario, I'd wait to see how Dach amd our new center continue to progress. Center is such an important position. Might as well make sure it's secured before moving a center.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Dach has looked far better than what I assume is his trade value. Sure if Dach explodes this year AND we draft a good center at the draft, it's possible we move a center already.

But even in that scenario, I'd wait to see how Dach amd our new center continue to progress. Center is such an important position. Might as well make sure it's secured before moving a center.
Yeah we will have to wait and see. But if Dach explodes/hits his ceiling this year like you said, AND beck looks even better next year, then I'd think long and hard about it.

Maybe you wait one more year to both groom beck + increase Dach's trade value, and then pull the trigger. So we keep both until 2024 and then trade Dach for a bonafide RD (or whatever hole we still have).

Beck is/will be cheaper I imagine too. That extra money can go towards extensions for current players and UFA signings like PLD for example.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Bedard ends up a winger anyway, but don’t think we sniff bottom 5.

Our D core and goal tending are pretty bad. And our forwards really aren't that good.

Plus, Hughes recently said he's trying to add another 1st and or prospects with vets. So, honestly, I think he'll try to get us to bottom 5, even if it means moving Edmundson. He must already be shopping Dvorak and Anderson.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Our D core and goal tending are pretty bad. And our forwards really aren't that good.

Plus, Hughes recently said he's trying to add another 1st and or prospects with vets. So, honestly, I think he'll try to get us to bottom 5, even if it means moving Edmundson. He must already be shopping Dvorak and Anderson.
Ya I expect another TDL fire sale. I mean it all depends on how players play. But Caufield looks like he’s going to score 40 this year and we are actually very solid down the middle. I also think Allen is solid in net, and our D should be decent with Guhle and Arber added to some decent vets as Matheson and Savrd are are both looking good, and Edmundson should be back soon and Wideman is decent on the bottom pair. That’s not even counting Harris and Barron but the point is I think we will be decent even if we are icing a bunch of bums at wing (Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov)

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yeah we will have to wait and see. But if Dach explodes/hits his ceiling this year like you said, AND beck looks even better next year, then I'd think long and hard about it.

Maybe you wait one more year to both groom beck + increase Dach's trade value, and then pull the trigger. So we keep both until 2024 and then trade Dach for a bonafide RD (or whatever hole we still have).

Beck is/will be cheaper I imagine too. That extra money can go towards extensions for current players and UFA signings like PLD for example.

Why would you want to trade Dach because the team draft another C and then want to sign PLD :laugh:

Reactions: Doc5

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ya I expect another TDL fire sale. I mean it all depends on how players play. But Caufield looks like he’s going to score 40 this year and we are actually very solid down the middle. I also think Allen is solid in net, and our D should be decent with Guhle and Arber added to some decent vets as Matheson and Savrd are are both looking good, and Edmundson should be back soon and Wideman is decent on the bottom pair. That’s not even counting Harris and Barron but the point is I think we will be decent even if we are icing a bunch of bums at wing (Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov)

I think teams will key in on Caufield if we don't have any other threats.

So, I'm very hopeful. I don't like to get my hopes up and be disappointed, but my prediction is bottom 5. Anything can happen. But I'm thinking that's most probable... Let's hope it happens! And anyways, the season will be fun just getting to watch Caufield, Suzuki, Dach, and Guhle develope. And hopefully other young players like Xhekaj, Harris and Barron, maybe even Slaf, RHP and Ylonen work their way into the lineup as vets are on IR or traded...

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
You can play PLD on the wing. I wouldn't sign him as a center in this scenario

Dach will play the wing in this scenario or one of the new kids could too.

Hughes won’t trade him, if he hit his ceiling he is part of the core.

The kid just got here, season hasn’t even started, can we enjoy his talent and development before talking about him getting traded lol.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Ok but you’re gonna have to pay him as a C
That's fine he's a great player that can fill in for C if need be. I'd happily have him here for 7M for example.

I said this in another thread, but I'd like to hope we can sell him on a cheaper deal if he really does want to be here. Especially if our team is looking nasty good by then

Dach will play the wing in this scenario or one of the new kids could too.

Hughes won’t trade him, if he hit his ceiling he is part of the core.

The kid just got here, season hasn’t even started, can we enjoy his talent and development before talking about him getting traded lol.
I'd entertain that but from what I've read, Dach does not want to play wing.

Whatever these are amazing problems to have. I'm just saying at some point we may be overloaded in the C position and it may make sense to offload a strength for an area of weakness.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Of all the things people got wound up about this summer all the anxiety and whining over this trade was the one I understood the least. People really wanted us to draft some 5'9" circlejerk NTDP winger instead of trading for Dach?
Fantastic! I salute you! Seriously l!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But clearly, this year's TDL won't be as successful as last year's. Maybe Edumundson, Dvorak, and Anderson bring good value. But I don't even know if we'll have as good trade chips as Chiarot and Kulak this year, let alone a Lehkonen.

There are NOT 5 teams worse than us bud
Maybe 1 maybe 2.. but NOT 5.
Yeah, although preseason doesn't mean much. It did look really good to me as far as not too many teams being worse than us is concerned. A nice start.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With Dach showing he can most likely meet his potential, and give us a 1-2 punch down the middle with Suzuki. I really think our goal should be to draft a winger/ defenseman.

Bedard and Carlsson are both looking like plug-and-play elite first line center. Something Dach and Suzuki are not. Skipping on the best center since Beliveau would be insane.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
But clearly, this year's TDL won't be as successful as last year's. Maybe Edumundson, Dvorak, and Anderson bring good value. But I don't even know if we'll have as good trade chips as Chiarot and Kulak this year, let alone a Lehkonen.

Yeah, although preseason doesn't mean much. It did look really good to me as far as not too many teams being worse than us is concerned. A nice start.
Boy how things have changed. Many here thought we would be lucky to get a fourth for Kulak.

Reactions: Sagikev

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Boy how things have changed. Many here thought we would be lucky to get a fourth for Kulak.

It seems scoring wingers with major flaws in other aspects of their game, which don't even score that much, are in much less demand than defensive players at TdL.

Reactions: Vachon23

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Does it work better if its reframed

"We just finished 32nd in the league and went 0-8 in a pre-season where multiple times we had a closer to NHL roster than our opponents." ?
I don't know I'm still bracing myself for a potential playoff bubble finish. And trust me I don't want it. We have insane luck with goalies for the last 30 years or so. Allen can overachieve. Wingers suck on the whole but if CC, Suzuki and Dach have breakout years it could change things. Slaf may start in the AHL but could come in the 2nd half and be a pretty big plus/minus. Monahan don't look washed up so that's a thing too.

I think the D on the whole might be our saving grace for a top 5 but if Matheson is an upgrade on Petry and Guhle and X don't take as long as we think/hope it could shore up our D a little 'too well'. Throw in a motivated young coach who now has an offseason to prepare as well.

That's a lot of 'ifs' I know but there's a lot of young talent that can surprise and spear head us out of a lotto pick. EVERYTHING would pretty much have to go right/wrong but I think it's a possibility that's not as far fetched as many think.

@DramaticGloveSave is being quite bold here but I wouldn't laugh him off

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

I think that would be a bad decision. Firstly he's in Russia, so who knows. Secondly, isn't he signed until 2025? That's 2 huge strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad