Kippers soft goal vs Salos soft goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Man, some of you are so quick to look for a goat. :shakehead

The goal Kipper let in tonight is not even in the same ballpark as the Salo goal. First off, it came at a time when Finland had plenty of time to recover, which they did tying it at 2-2. Secondly, Mikka made a number of outstanding stops tonight to keep Finland in the game. Salo had very little work in the Belarus game (if I remember correctly) and then let in that softy at the very end when Sweden had no time to recover. For what its worth, Salo never should have been in that position in the first place as the whole Swedish team $hit the ice in Salt Lake, but that's for another thread.

Kipper may not have been the better goalie on the ice tonight, but he was certianly not the reason they lost!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Jussi said:
Actually his parent are Finnish, though living in Sweden.

Totally off topic, but how similar are the two languages? I've just always wondered.

I don't think the goal will phase Kipper one bit.

BCCHL inactive

MrMastodonFarm said:
By the way, how come this thread wasn't started for Luongo the other night? He let in a couple softies. Or is it because he isn't the Flames netminder?

Luongo didn't let in any softies. He played magnificently and is the reason Canada was even in tonight's game.

It is no coincidence that other than Wayne Gretzky, Roberto Luongo got the biggest cheer as they were passing the trophy around.

Kravitch said:
Salo was SUPPOSE to stop that shot. As for Kipper, well, when you play aganst Canada, anything can happen. ;)
That is totally bull. So it`s ok suck against Canada, but not against Belarus?

So you`re not comparing teams by their performance, but their merit. That Salo`s weak goal happened in 57th minute of the game. Why would it matter? It´s self-explanatory that Sweden would have scored 7-8 goal in 57 minutes againts Belarussians 0-1 goals. Right? Wrong. The game was 2-2 because Belarus played a great game and deserved to win that one. The winning goal just happened to be peculiar one.

Salo`s goal was soft one and he got lots of sh*t from the press. Couple of papers made threats against his family.

BCCHL inactive

MrMastodonFarm said:
I counted two softies.

I counted none.

Goal 1: Freak deflection. It happens. Can't blame the goaltender.

Goal 2: Beauty PP setup. Nuff said.

Goal 3: Screen thanks to poor defence. Can't stop what you can't see.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Jussi said:
Actually his parent are Finnish, though living in Sweden.

Yeah, it is obvious Tommy Salo is part of a cunning finnish plan to deny Sweden international glory.:(

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Van said:
I counted none.

Goal 1: Freak deflection. It happens. Can't blame the goaltender.

Goal 2: Beauty PP setup. Nuff said.

Goal 3: Screen thanks to poor defence. Can't stop what you can't see.

I guess Stand Pat Quinn dissagrees with your assessment as well. Two softies it is.

Freak deflection that he wasn't paying close attention to on the first and third. Sure it happens, but when goalies are on their games they don't let those in. I'm sure Luongo saw it the same way as well. That said, he did enough for the win coming into a huge game cold... for that Luongo did well and the fans and team mates appreciate it. No need to make his game better or worse than it was.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Totally off topic, but how similar are the two languages? I've just always wondered.

I don't think the goal will phase Kipper one bit.

The languages are completely unrelated. Finnish is one of the verz few none- indogermanic languages in Europe.

Tinke

Sep 14, 2004
SergeiK said:
Do you have something to say or do express yourself in normal world with pictures? Do carry around a small chalkboard where you can draw icons or symbols to illustrate your feelings?

If not, speak up.

Well I thought you would be wise enough to get the point, but if not, I'm truly sorry!! :cry:

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
Wisent said:
The languages are completely unrelated. Finnish is one of the verz few none- indogermanic languages in Europe.

Danish and Norwegian are quite similar; Swedish a first cousin by marriage. Has to do with history and how long Denmark ruled Norway (until early 19th century) and southern Sweden (until early 17th century).

Icelandic also has similarities but has remained fairly true to its medieval roots and even now allows no non-Icelandic cognates into the language.

Finnish has absolutely nothing in common with other Scandinavian languages - it is most closely related to Hungarian in Europe.

exiled in Florida said:
Finnish has absolutely nothing in common with other Scandinavian languages - it is most closely related to Hungarian in Europe.
Finnish is more related to Estonian language. Finns and Estonians can even in some level understand each other in conversation, but with Hungarian it cannot be done.

Rhythm of the speech is same in Hungary. I was in Budapest this summer and everytime that I passed Hungarian people talking their language, it sounded from the distance that someone was talking Finish. But the words were just sensless gibberish (to me - no offence, Hungary)

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Well, since nobody is going to mention it...

CLOUTIER VS LIDSTROM :banghead:

Go Flames Go*

This is dumb comparison, first of all Tommy Salo is a nobody. He let in a goal from almost centre ice which flew over his head most goalies trap thoose shots. Kipper was beaten from a terrible angle on a weak shot. It happens to the best of them, the key thing is they recover, Kipper let in soft goals in the playoffs he shook em off. This is not going to shatter him, like it did to Salo.

And why are we comparing a goalie who just came off a record breaking season and coming withing 1 goal of winning the stanley cup, to a quitter.

AgentOrange*

Alexander the Great said:
You can't compare the two.Salo got beat by a Belarus shooter at the blue line while kipper got beat by Norris trophy winner Scott Niedermayer in the slot

Niedermayer was nowhere near the slot. :shakehead

Kravitch

I guess the fact that Kippers goal was scored against a stronger team than Belarus people will not dwell on it as much.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Go Flames Go said:
This is dumb comparison, first of all Tommy Salo is a nobody. He let in a goal from almost centre ice which flew over his head most goalies trap thoose shots. Kipper was beaten from a terrible angle on a weak shot. It happens to the best of them, the key thing is they recover, Kipper let in soft goals in the playoffs he shook em off. This is not going to shatter him, like it did to Salo.

And why are we comparing a goalie who just came off a record breaking season and coming withing 1 goal of winning the stanley cup, to a quitter.

:handclap: :handclap: Brilliant posts like this are why I try to stay away from HFBoards as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad