Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Nolan Buttar second pick for fronts. LW- not a d man?? Confusing but I’m sure the second pick in the second round here will be a d man.

Second best player on the team with Fitzgerald (Petes)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Fronts pick a goalie Gavin Betts with their second, 2nd round pick. First goalie picked in the draft. Anyone know his comparison and if he is ohl ready next year?

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Last time they took an NHLers son with the 8th overall pick he didn't report - if he does want to force his way to Guelph hopefully the compensation is enough.
Why would he not commit? He played in Toronto last year not Guelph. Just because his dad played in Guelph he only wants to play there? What am I missing?

Last edited:

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Same as Peterborough with Fitzgerald. They will start next week selling our organization to the family with hopes he will report.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Same as Peterborough with Fitzgerald. They will start next week selling our organization to the family with hopes he will report.
Hopefully it works out because it didn’t work out with pieniniemi or McCarthy.

Pretty risky but could be a steal.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Day 2 we took some pretty good players. I don’t think any of them will be on the roster this coming season though. Probably will develop for a year first unless they really impress in training camp/pre season

They picked Roman Schmidt’s younger brother in the 10th round and the guys already 6’1.5 and 163.

He will prob play in some lower league this year as I doubt a 10th rounder is going to make the team right off the jump but this could be a great move.

He’s a December baby so his draft isn’t until 2027 so he can develop in a lower league like gojhl for a year before making the jump here full time. Pretty good numbers though for a d in the 10th round- 19pts in 34 games on Oakville the team that lost in the ohl cup finals.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
The door isn't fully closed on Pieniniemi. FYI.
I'm beyond confused with the import rules/reserve lists, but how is it not closed? Wouldn't they have had to release him when they made the Chromiak trade since Pieniniemi wasn't a first rounder?

McCarthy likely was never coming in the first place, especially with his brother playing at the same school.

I saw the Fronts had a Facebook post with Buttar/Betts in Kingston but not shockingly nothing about Malhotra. There was a Whig article about the draft and Cooper was surprised the Malhotra signed but still thinks they can get him here.

I haven't read much about the rest of the picks but I did see some positive tweets about Drake Sled being value in the 12th.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Valentini who the fronts passed on is following the steelheads, martone, ivankovic and a few guys that were drafted there.

Probably means he’s seriously considering Mississauga. Huge loss for kingston if he actually comes to the OHL

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Hopefully it works out because it didn’t work out with pieniniemi or McCarthy.

Pretty risky but could be a steal.
He has since the list came out and has been set for BCHL. The big difference is this is a new league with a non-hockey Canada affiliation. He can play there and still be eligible for NCAA. I never understand why teams take flyers on kids who are committed to other leagues. The OHL needs to make a rule. If you commit to the OHL, you have to stay with an OHL team. If you commit to the USHL or other leagues, you should be non-listed and not eligible to play in the OHL for at least a year.

There will likely be a fight for back up at training camp. You do not draft a goalie that high unless you will use him.

Projected line up

Miedma Frasca Thibodeau
Outwater McNamara Battaglia
Cavallin Hopkins Heyes
Buttar Malhorta Soto

Burns Chromiak
McGowan Williamson
Schneider Uens
Vellaris Rhys Huinink
Bergeron
Budnick

Vaccari
Salajko
Betts

The challenge is that you are heavy on returning LD and light on RD I can see a few players sent down, also I would not be surprised to see a few trades

I think the Euro is going to be the best avail forward unless they can snag a RD

This is going to be a building year, not so much because of the lineup but because of the other teams that have set lineups that are superior this year and are only going to need a couple of players.

Lets face it the Right side of your defence is almost non existent

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
He has since the list came out and has been set for BCHL. The big difference is this is a new league with a non-hockey Canada affiliation. He can play there and still be eligible for NCAA. I never understand why teams take flyers on kids who are committed to other leagues. The OHL needs to make a rule. If you commit to the OHL, you have to stay with an OHL team. If you commit to the USHL or other leagues, you should be non-listed and not eligible to play in the OHL for at least a year.

There will likely be a fight for back up at training camp. You do not draft a goalie that high unless you will use him.

Projected line up

Miedma Frasca Thibodeau
Cavallin Hopkins Heyes
Buttar Malhorta Soto

Burns Chromiak
McGowan Williamson
Schneider Uens
Vellaris Rhys Huinink
Bergeron
Budnick

Vaccari
Salajko
Betts

The challenge is that you are heavy on returning LD and light on RD I can see a few players sent down, also I would not be surprised to see a few trades

I think the Euro is going to be the best avail forward unless they can snag a RD

This is going to be a building year, not so much because of the lineup but because of the other teams that have set lineups that are superior this year and are only going to need a couple of players.

Budnick isnt even on kingston anymore he was traded to Guelph months ago so you can remove him.
I don't see Salajko being here next season either.
There's talk Chromiak is going back home. -I don't think hes good enough to waste an import spot on anyway.
Soto is definitely ahead of Heyes on the depth chart on the right side.
Outwater also is not on Kingston and was trade several months ago.
Hemstrom is missing from your list as well.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The door isn't fully closed on Pieniniemi. FYI.
LOL, I love the optimism. But consider that in order to take that flyer they have to not draft anyone and hope that he returns to the NHL and a team compared to playing pro in either the AHL or the Liga

He is gone. There is too much unknown and considering that they are taking a flier on their #1 draft pick they are not going to take a flier on the Euro

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Budnick isnt even on kingston anymore he was traded to Guelph months ago so you can remove him.
I don't see Salajko being here next season either.
There's talk Chromiak is going back home. -I don't think hes good enough to waste an import spot on anyway.
Soto is definitely ahead of Heyes on the depth chart on the right side.
Outwater also is not on Kingston and was trade several months ago.
My bad about budnick and Outwater
Chromiak I can see staying home
Hemstrom would be an OA Euro. As there are no NHL teams knocking down his door I would suggest that he will start his pro career back home instead of coming to Kingston.

The question with Heyes is why do you keep an OA for your 4th line

Reactions: frontsfan67

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
My bad about budnick and Outwater
Chromiak I can see staying home
Hemstrom would be an OA Euro. As there are no NHL teams knocking down his door I would suggest that he will start his pro career back home instead of coming to Kingston.

The question with Heyes is why do you keep an OA for your 4th line

I would not keep Heyes at all.
He definitely won’t be ahead of Soto if he stays that’s for sure.
I also would look to dump McNamara

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I would not keep Heyes at all.
He definitely won’t be ahead of Soto if he stays that’s for sure.
I also would look to dump McNamara
I agree about Heyes I think I would trade him and leave the OA open.
McNamara and Cavalin are strange to me. I think it's going to come down to who does the most during the off-season.

I think you will see McNamara stay and be traded at the deadline. Cavalin just does not show a lot. I am assuming he really did not get a lot of minutes. Hopkins will be the 3rd line center next year so what do you do

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I think there’s a good chance you see Cameron Bergeron as a full time player next season too

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Projected line up

Miedma Frasca Thibodeau
Cavallin Hopkins Heyes
Buttar Malhorta Soto

Burns Chromiak
McGowan Williamson
Schneider Uens
Vellaris Rhys Huinink
Bergeron
Budnick

Vaccari
Salajko
Betts

Beast
Outwater, Schneider and budnick were all traded.

Also guarantee the way Hopkins has been playing and trending upwards he will be the 2C to start the year.

Heyes is not going to play more than Soto either lol. Heyes and Poole may not even be on the team.

But I agree I think they’re going to play betts over salajko. He is probably around the same skill set- maybe higher skill and 2 years younger I definitely see him backing up the clear #1 vaccari unless the fronts draft an import goalie which would be a confusing move after picking Betts as the first goalie in the draft.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Beast
Outwater, Schneider and budnick were all traded.

Also guarantee the way Hopkins has been playing and trending upwards he will be the 2C to start the year.

Heyes is not going to play more than Soto either lol. Heyes and Poole may not even be on the team.

But I agree I think they’re going to play betts over salajko. He is probably around the same skill set- maybe higher skill and 2 years younger I definitely see him backing up the clear #1 vaccari unless the fronts draft an import goalie which would be a confusing move after picking Betts as the first goalie in the draft.

Something tells me the fronts may have been caught off guard with Zhigalov going home last summer.
I keep hearing it will be a very active off season for Kingston.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Although I’d love if they brought hemstrom back. The odds of that happening are very very slim I believe.

Couple factors- hemstrom could want to make the jump to play pro back in his home country of Sweden.

If he were to come back- although he would be one of the best star chl imports, he would be an overager and take 2 spots from guys for the fronts in a year that many think will be a good year for them.

And hate to be that guy- but I wonder how bad his injury is too and how it could affect his game. That’s the least of the worries but it is something to think about.

What I hope happens is they let Chromiak go(wouldn’t be surprised if some team in the ohl snagged him back up and he saw success with another team in a bigger role such as Valentin zhugin)

Also hope they pick a puck moving d man in the draft- one that can quarterback a powerplay. (Would fit well with burns on the top line too as he is a defensive d man)

If they do all this and with picking Betts I think the move at the import draft would be to get an import centre, not a goalie and then trade McNamara for picks as they would be filling McNamaras role on the 2nd/3rd line and we would get picks we could use later in the year.

Something tells me the fronts may have been caught off guard with Zhigalov going home last summer.
I keep hearing it will be a very active off season for Kingston.
Zhigalov played in the ushl last year. Didn’t do very well either and ushl skill level is arguably worse than the ohl.

I agree it makes sense that it would be very active. Hopefully not TOO active before the season starts so they have a good amount of cards still by the deadline for some upgrades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad