Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You are praising the on-ice awareness of a guy that's had 6 major penalties for the lack of his on ice awareness.
Are you really comparing McGown to the player named best defensive forward in conference or league three straight seasons and previously named best body checker?
How many times does a player need to put himself in vunerable positions before it’s ok to say the player needs to be aware? In addition to his run-ins with Arnsby, Helmsrom was nearly lit up by 5’ 5.5” & 155 lb Therrien but at last second he managed to get his gloves and stick up to the face of Therrien. A TKO did not happen, so it’s ok.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_9244.png

Hopkins getting rewarded and playing on first line.

No thibodeau again and no hemstrom. Chromiak and Velliaris in.

Never seen 8 d men in one game before lmao

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
I don’t want to point fingers now that the season is over but have a look at Barrie and figure out why they are still playing and why the Fronts aren’t (hint: look at the shots).
Wolves had struggles with the same issue in the season but it seems to have resolved itself in the playoffs... sucks that it comes down to that though. Some of us in the Sudbury thread really thought that was the hole in our canoe for the playoffs.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Wolves had struggles with the same issue in the season but it seems to have resolved itself in the playoffs... sucks that it comes down to that though. Some of us in the Sudbury thread really thought that was the hole in our canoe for the playoffs.
I wish you guys the best of luck against the Battalion (not to jinx the 67s whom I’m now rooting for). The Battalion IMO are beatable with the team you guys have. Especially now that we made a significant dent in them! :)

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Well good luck to the wolves. Cheering for you guys now that the fronts are out.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I think this will be a busy off season for the Fronts. The only OA that I would li8ke back is Ludwinski and that will not happen. You have to make room for Vellaris, Weir, Our first round pick and possibly a second round pick, plus any drafted players from last year and one or two Europeans. I think Chromiak is done here. Not a favourite of Mann. You also need a goalie. It would not be surprising if they traded Vaccari and ran with Salajko as the back up. e did look better at the end of the year with his limited time in nets. Just my take on the situation, no insider knowledge. Looking forward to the draft on Friday and Saturday.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Are you really comparing McGown to the player named best defensive forward in conference or league three straight seasons and previously named best body checker?
How many times does a player need to put himself in vunerable positions before it’s ok to say the player needs to be aware? In addition to his run-ins with Arnsby, Helmsrom was nearly lit up by 5’ 5.5” & 155 lb Therrien but at last second he managed to get his gloves and stick up to the face of Therrien. A TKO did not happen, so it’s ok.
Did you even read my post? I'm comparing 2 players that have a similar aspect to their game that play the game on the edge and like to be physical. -I'm not sitting here saying Mcgowan is as skilled as Arnbys so i don't know why you are trying to paint the picture.

I'm not an idiot one is a forward and ones a dman and they both like to play the game on the edge.
Its absurd that you are defending a blindside head shot.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I think this will be a busy off season for the Fronts. The only OA that I would li8ke back is Ludwinski and that will not happen. You have to make room for Vellaris, Weir, Our first round pick and possibly a second round pick, plus any drafted players from last year and one or two Europeans. I think Chromiak is done here. Not a favourite of Mann. You also need a goalie. It would not be surprising if they traded Vaccari and ran with Salajko as the back up. e did look better at the end of the year with his limited time in nets. Just my take on the situation, no insider knowledge. Looking forward to the draft on Friday and Saturday.
Regarding Vaccari, I think it really depends on if he improves over the summer. Sometimes guys make huge leaps from one year to another and other times they look the exact same or close to it. I think if he doesn’t improve considerably they will go elsewhere.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Did you even read my post? I'm comparing 2 players that have a similar aspect to their game that play the game on the edge and like to be physical. -I'm not sitting here saying Mcgowan is as skilled as Arnbys so i don't know why you are trying to paint the picture.

I'm not an idiot one is a forward and ones a dman and they both like to play the game on the edge.
Its absurd that you are defending a blindside head shot.
Find where I defended the last hit.

The player GMs consider the best defensive forward and previously best body checker, hits. He is not a predator, imo.
Hemstrom really needs to be aware that he could be hit imo, and he needs to learn to absorb a hit not cross check 5’ 5.5” players to the face.

Reactions: Poster man

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Therrien was running around all night too there was a few questionable hits from him that i recall from Weds night.
I think OHL got it right with the 6 games. At the end of the day you can't have players out there head hunting and need to protect the players.
If a player is in a vulnerable position you need to let up a bit and make sure you avoid head contact its pretty simple.
Arnbys is a player that plays on the edge and this time it got him.
Therrien could use some of that protection you look for..

Reactions: 190 is almost 206

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Less about north bay. Series is over.

I know teams never do this but I’d be willing for the fronts to bring back hemstrom as an OA import. Great character guy, around a ppg(and it should rise with him getting older) one of the best defensive players on the fronts, one of the most underrated players in the east, great iq and compete and doesn’t cause any trouble.

I think they should drop Chromiak as him and Williamson are fairly similar but I like williamsons projection better, he’s younger and he can stay for an oa season. If they do this- pick up a good 19 year old defenceman or goalie and go for a run. Trade let go of Poole and Heyes and bring in 2 OA STAR defenceman between now and next years trade deadline. Preferably one to quarterback power play and 1 that is more of a shut down d man.

• Haha
Reactions: 190 is almost 206

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
Congratulations to Dubois, Holmes, Schmidt, Ludwinski, Poole & Heyes as they wrapped up their OHL careers. Good luck with whatever comes next.

Reactions: PuckLucker

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
Well, I think the playoffs will tell the continued story that grit plays a big part into a teams success. Although Kingston had looked very good at times and controlled the play for several periods, they just didn’t get the calls and the goal tending to prolong this series and possibly upset NB. Vaccari was either a brick wall stopping the most difficult shots or he let in some very weak goals.

As much as Kingston on paper should be fairly good next year, I think they will lack character. Losing Dubois, Hemstrom, Ludwinski, Schmidt, Holmes, and maybe Poole and Heyes will leave this team empty on leadership.

I think Thibideau could be moved. He became an easy target in the playoffs as NB knew how to control his speed by playing him physical and he was knocked down consistently. As soon as Mann moved him down in the lineup, he immediately became injured?? Maybe I’m wrong but it sure did look strange.

Frasca was another player that was really hyped this year, but he really struggled in my opinion, after seeing some early success with overtime goals, he was going through the paces for good spans of time. There probably wasn’t another player in the league where a coach moved lines around continuously trying to get that player going more than Frasca. His best game of the playoffs was between Miedema and Heyes. I think he was and maybe still is the replacement for Ludwinski but I don’t think he has the speed, or strength required to be 1C, I could see him being moved. McNammara can play center and wing, he has tremendous speed but his hands turn to cement when handling pucks and when it comes to grit, he’s more of just a showman. Lots of chirping between whistles and at players once the linesmen hold him, he’s a tough player to figure out, I really don’t know the best spot for him.

Battaglia and Soto will have good years next year. Battaglia stepped up his physical side in the playoffs and I can only see him getting better. Soto competes, he didn’t have the best playoffs but he was also playing with different lines each game. Cavelin is in a tough spot, regardless of players they bring in, they will continue to push him down to the 4th line. He may end up saying it’s just not worth it and move on. Miedema made the biggest strides coming into the playoffs in my opinion. Up until that line change I thought Miedema would be moved as well, but he showed how valuable he can be. It also showed the type of players he needs to be with, As soon as Mann moved him with Poole and Heyes, his energy got better, he used his size and started to win the puck battles. Miedema needs line mates that push him, and are more suited to his strengths.

Hopkins played pretty decent down the stretch, I do think Kingston did an excellent job this year playing him in a ton of different situations while not putting pressure on his play. He will be way better for it next season, mark my words but being in year two, he could also be a player traded away to bring in a points leader.

Bottom line, the way this team sits right now they could lose 11 to 12 players. I only see Burns, Uens and McGowan as guys who play with a bit of heat, you just can’t win games long term with softer players. There is no way that new imports, this years drafted players or last years picks will be able to replace the types of players being lost, and I don’t see any of many existing players taking on those roles.

I do really like Mann, hopefully he returns. The structure he put in place was a world of difference over Caputi, unfortunately he had too many players he was trying to light a fire under to pick up their game. I strongly believe if Caputi was still the coach we would not have even made the playoffs. I think NB is way better then what they are given credit for, there would be no surprise to me if they took the east.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Well, I think the playoffs will tell the continued story that grit plays a big part into a teams success. Although Kingston had looked very good at times and controlled the play for several periods, they just didn’t get the calls and the goal tending to prolong this series and possibly upset NB. Vaccari was either a brick wall stopping the most difficult shots or he let in some very weak goals.

As much as Kingston on paper should be fairly good next year, I think they will lack character. Losing Dubois, Hemstrom, Ludwinski, Schmidt, Holmes, and maybe Poole and Heyes will leave this team empty on leadership.

I think Thibideau could be moved. He became an easy target in the playoffs as NB knew how to control his speed by playing him physical and he was knocked down consistently. As soon as Mann moved him down in the lineup, he immediately became injured?? Maybe I’m wrong but it sure did look strange.

Frasca was another player that was really hyped this year, but he really struggled in my opinion, after seeing some early success with overtime goals, he was going through the paces for good spans of time. There probably wasn’t another player in the league where a coach moved lines around continuously trying to get that player going more than Frasca. His best game of the playoffs was between Miedema and Heyes. I think he was and maybe still is the replacement for Ludwinski but I don’t think he has the speed, or strength required to be 1C, I could see him being moved. McNammara can play center and wing, he has tremendous speed but his hands turn to cement when handling pucks and when it comes to grit, he’s more of just a showman. Lots of chirping between whistles and at players once the linesmen hold him, he’s a tough player to figure out, I really don’t know the best spot for him.

Battaglia and Soto will have good years next year. Battaglia stepped up his physical side in the playoffs and I can only see him getting better. Soto competes, he didn’t have the best playoffs but he was also playing with different lines each game. Cavelin is in a tough spot, regardless of players they bring in, they will continue to push him down to the 4th line. He may end up saying it’s just not worth it and move on. Miedema made the biggest strides coming into the playoffs in my opinion. Up until that line change I thought Miedema would be moved as well, but he showed how valuable he can be. It also showed the type of players he needs to be with, As soon as Mann moved him with Poole and Heyes, his energy got better, he used his size and started to win the puck battles. Miedema needs line mates that push him, and are more suited to his strengths.

Hopkins played pretty decent down the stretch, I do think Kingston did an excellent job this year playing him in a ton of different situations while not putting pressure on his play. He will be way better for it next season, mark my words but being in year two, he could also be a player traded away to bring in a points leader.

Bottom line, the way this team sits right now they could lose 11 to 12 players. I only see Burns, Uens and McGowan as guys who play with a bit of heat, you just can’t win games long term with softer players. There is no way that new imports, this years drafted players or last years picks will be able to replace the types of players being lost, and I don’t see any of many existing players taking on those roles.

I do really like Mann, hopefully he returns. The structure he put in place was a world of difference over Caputi, unfortunately he had too many players he was trying to light a fire under to pick up their game. I strongly believe if Caputi was still the coach we would not have even made the playoffs. I think NB is way better then what they are given credit for, there would be no surprise to me if they took the east.
I agree with a lot of what you said in the first 5 paragraphs but towards the bottom of your post is where is see things much differently. #91 most likely isn't happy with his season, minimal minutes and his point production was most likely nowhere where he wanted things to be. Overall he wasn't ready for this league as a 16 year old. He needs to have a huge off-season in the gym to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle, 160 pounds won't get you into the areas needed to be successful in this league.

Fronts losing 3 OA players which were all big, strong and all 3 tip the scales over 200lbs. Who is filling those spots next year? Like you said, imports and drafted players aren't going to fill that void.

Last years team won 27 games after moving Francesco Arcuri, Braden Hache, Jackson Stewart and Shane Wright. It came down to the final regular season game and the Fronts missed out on playoffs by 1 point as the 9th seed and experienced a ton of injuries. All these trades were necessary for the future re-build right?

This years team won 33 games and acquired Roman Schmidt, Jax Dubois, Luke McNamara & Jakub Chromiak and decided to keep captain Paul Ludwinski. Was this the rebuild year, or next year?

That's 6 more wins with a new coach and a way better roster to work with. The ownership group, the GM and your Head Coach would never admit this but the 2023-2024 Fronts underperformed huge.
The bench was mismanaged and player utilization was favored ineffectively. Every player but 2 regular roster players were a negatve in the +/- category, that's just brutal.

Nobody wants to talk about the experienced goalie Kyle Downey Kory Cooper traded for?
Here's my take... When traded to the Fronts, he made a decision not to move to Kingston because as a 20 year old vet, he wasn't going to be a back-up to a 19 year old. Wanna know which Fronts goalie earned a shutout this season? Downey did but he only dressed in 3 games.

Speaking of goalies, once the Belleville Sens hired the Fronts Goalie Coach Tyson Teichmann
on Feb 2nd, was the GM the only person working with the Fronts goaltenders?

I'll try and stay optimistic for next year

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I agree with a lot of what you said in the first 5 paragraphs but towards the bottom of your post is where is see things much differently. #91 most likely isn't happy with his season, minimal minutes and his point production was most likely nowhere where he wanted things to be. Overall he wasn't ready for this league as a 16 year old. He needs to have a huge off-season in the gym to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle, 160 pounds won't get you into the areas needed to be successful in this league.

Fronts losing 3 OA players which were all big, strong and all 3 tip the scales over 200lbs. Who is filling those spots next year? Like you said, imports and drafted players aren't going to fill that void.

Last years team won 27 games after moving Francesco Arcuri, Braden Hache, Jackson Stewart and Shane Wright. It came down to the final regular season game and the Fronts missed out on playoffs by 1 point as the 9th seed and experienced a ton of injuries. All these trades were necessary for the future re-build right?

This years team won 33 games and acquired Roman Schmidt, Jax Dubois, Luke McNamara & Jakub Chromiak and decided to keep captain Paul Ludwinski. Was this the rebuild year, or next year?

That's 6 more wins with a new coach and a way better roster to work with. The ownership group, the GM and your Head Coach would never admit this but the 2023-2024 Fronts underperformed huge.
The bench was mismanaged and player utilization was favored ineffectively. Every player but 2 regular roster players were a negatve in the +/- category, that's just brutal.

Nobody wants to talk about the experienced goalie Kyle Downey Kory Cooper traded for?
Here's my take... When traded to the Fronts, he made a decision not to move to Kingston because as a 20 year old vet, he wasn't going to be a back-up to a 19 year old. Wanna know which Fronts goalie earned a shutout this season? Downey did but he only dressed in 3 games.

Speaking of goalies, once the Belleville Sens hired the Fronts Goalie Coach Tyson Teichmann
on Feb 2nd, was the GM the only person working with the Fronts goaltenders?

I'll try and stay optimistic for next year
I think a team that wants to compete for a title isn’t going into the year saying they need to find 3 top dmen, a goalie or 2, 3 veteran forwards…. That tells me next year is going to be a problem. Frankly I don’t see how this team will be any better next year. It’ll be very interesting.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Well, the Greyhounds filled 5 key spots from last year to this year, one internally (Schenkel) and the other 4 were brought in (Frasca, Hayes G, Beck, Karki).

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Well, the Greyhounds filled 5 key spots from last year to this year, one internally (Schenkel) and the other 4 were brought in (Frasca, Hayes G, Beck, Karki).
Well. I’d say bringing in 3 or 4 new guys isn’t that out of the ordinary. Especially mid season adding pieces. Much different then basically trying to add 6 or 7 or 8 impact pieces before the season even starts.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Is it really that many? There are only 11 impact spots to fill total - 6 forwards, 4 defense, 1 goalie.

Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad