Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Fronts Projected roster

Forwards:

Thibodeau Frasca Battaglia

2 Miedema Hopkins Soto

3 Buttar? Malholtra? Weir

4 Cavallin OA/Import OA/Import

1-2 First 2 lines pretty easy to guess.

3- Fronts weak in the LW position and drafted Buttar as a LW. Malholtra if he comes I’m sure will be seeing atleast top 9 ice time as one of the agreements. Weir will come in and be an impact 17yr old rookie on the right side.

4- Cavallin can still play here as his final year before OA and he gets waived. Hopefully improves a bit. Probably going to trade McNamara for picks to use as upgrades later in season as I can’t see him being happy on 3rd/4th line again. Heyes is not a good enough OA to bring back.

Extras- The 2 OA/Import slots could go anywhere but those are 2 are going to be open spots.

Defence:

Burns OA/Import

2 McGowan Williamson

3 Velliaris Uens

4 Bergeron

1- First one pretty obvious they’re weak on the right side. Going to have to trade for an OA or use import draft to get a good right side d man

2- assuming McGowan plays more than a Velliaris he will be on the second line to start the year. Williamson is already better than uens, is younger and is going to improve lots in the summer(maybe an nhl camp)

3- Velliaris is a wild card. Depending on how well he improves over the summer time he could even start on line 1 but not optimal to put 2 LHD on same line.
Uens this year hopefully won’t be playing as much.

Extras: Bergeron probably won’t play more than velliaris or McGowan and assuming they keep uens(even though I wouldn’t) I can’t see him playing more than a vet in this league.

Goalies

1-
Vaccari

2- Betts

3- Salajko (or if he asks for trade then just the first 2)

Reactions: ScoutLife4

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Fronts Projected roster

Forwards:

2 Miedema Hopkins Soto

3- Fronts weak in the LW position and drafted Buttar as a LW. Malholtra if he comes I’m sure will be seeing atleast top 9 ice time as one of the agreements. Weir will come in and be an impact 17yr old rookie on the right side.

4- Cavallin can still play here as his final year before OA and he gets waived. Hopefully improves a bit. Probably going to trade McNamara for picks to use as upgrades later in season as I can’t see him being happy on 3rd/4th line again. Heyes is not a good enough OA to bring back.

Extras- The 2 OA/Import slots could go anywhere but those are 2 are going to be open spots.

Defence:

Burns OA/Import

2 McGowan Williamson

3 Velliaris Uens

4 Bergeron

1- First one pretty obvious they’re weak on the right side. Going to have to trade for an OA or use import draft to get a good right side d man

2- assuming McGowan plays more than a Velliaris he will be on the second line to start the year. Williamson is already better than uens, is younger and is going to improve lots in the summer(maybe an nhl camp)

3- Velliaris is a wild card. Depending on how well he improves over the summer time he could even start on line 1 but not optimal to put 2 LHD on same line.

Extras: Bergeron probably won’t play more than velliaris or McGowan and assuming they keep uens(even though I wouldn’t) I can’t see him playing more than a vet in this league.

Goalies

1-
Vaccari

2- Betts

I would say that assessment is much more accurate.

For those who don’t think there’s a chance Emil Pieniniemi reports I would say there’s definitely a chance.
Troy Manns brother Trent is running Pittsburghs scouting and development department basically.
This is an important year for Emil’s development I could see them wanting him near bye with Troy.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
Fronts Projected roster

Forwards:

2 Miedema Hopkins Soto

Defence:

Burns OA/Import

2 McGowan Williamson

3 Velliaris Uens

4 Bergeron

Goalies

1-
Vaccari

2- Betts

I just don’t think this line-up has what it takes to compete against other division rivals, granted it will be an extra year for everyone but teams like Mississauga, Oshawa, and even Peterborough have way more grit. If Frasca is first line center, he has a ton of work to do in the off season, I think his stock fell down significantly in the second half.

The other piece I don’t agree on is why would you give away picks to bring in OA’s to play the 4TH line? If you are moving picks out, I think you are looking for a home run and that will cost a pretty pennie. It wouldn’t surprise me if one or two of Hemstrom, Poole or Heyes is in camp next season.

Normally you wouldn’t burn an import and an overage card in one season but in this case that could be a possibility. Mann also moved both those guys up to the 2nd line from the 4th, so he obviously must be a supporter of them. Heyes had 3 points playing mostly on the 4th and Poole had a short handed goal.

I do agree with Soutlife4, I could absolutely see Manns influence get Pieniniemi to Kingston. Chromiak was getting scratched at the end several games so I can see this happening.

As for the draft, I wasn’t upset at the swing for the first rounder, if indeed they want to push to go for it next year, then your first rounder really won’t be an impact player year one. If he doesn’t report than Kingston gets two first rounders the following year. Almost sounds like a better deal.

At the end of the day, it’s very easy to be a GM on this forum, trading and moving players everywhere, but the reality is there is a high price to pay typically for a valued player.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

For those who don’t think there’s a chance Emil Pieniniemi reports I would say there’s definitely a chance.
Troy Manns brother Trent is running Pittsburghs scouting and development department basically.
This is an important year for Emil’s development I could see them wanting him near bye with Troy.
That’s some pretty cool info- didn’t know that. Hypothetically if he did come here I assume Chromiak would leave and we would still pick that 17year old 3C and then the import kid is back next year too

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I just don’t think this line-up has what it takes to compete against other division rivals, granted it will be an extra year for everyone but teams like Mississauga, Oshawa, and even Peterborough have way more grit. If Frasca is first line center, he has a ton of work to do in the off season, I think his stock fell down significantly in the second half.

The other piece I don’t agree on is why would you give away picks to bring in OA’s to play the 4TH line? If you are moving picks out, I think you are looking for a home run and that will cost a pretty pennie. It wouldn’t surprise me if one or two of Hemstrom, Poole or Heyes is in camp next season.

Normally you wouldn’t burn an import and an overage card in one season but in this case that could be a possibility. Mann also moved both those guys up to the 2nd line from the 4th, so he obviously must be a supporter of them. Heyes had 3 points playing mostly on the 4th and Poole had a short handed goal.

I do agree with Soutlife4, I could absolutely see Manns influence get Pieniniemi to Kingston. Chromiak was getting scratched at the end several games so I can see this happening.

As for the draft, I wasn’t upset at the swing for the first rounder, if indeed they want to push to go for it next year, then your first rounder really won’t be an impact player year one. If he doesn’t report than Kingston gets two first rounders the following year. Almost sounds like a better deal.

At the end of the day, it’s very easy to be a GM on this forum, trading and moving players everywhere, but the reality is there is a high price to pay typically for a valued player.
The 4th line ordeal that I put there is just open spots. Players they acquire could play first line and push the others down. I’m just saying those are probably going to be upgrades or open positions, obviously they’re not getting OA’s to play 4th line.

Also many scouts are really liking frascas overall 2 way game with his high iq. And who knows- he could’ve still had a nagging injury the way callum Ritchie did his draft year and we saw how he broke out this year. Frascas a 2 way guy. His job isn’t to fill the net every game but with increased experience, better linemates (getting older together), chemistry and some off season work he could very well be on his way to put up 70+ pts with that 2 way and high iq game that everyone has seen.

Yes I agree about malholtra. Ideally you want the guy to report but lots of variables about this past draft such as the amount of players saying they don’t wanna go to certain teams/signing elsewhere. If malholtra doesn’t play here they can get that comp pick and trade the guy so you get the best of both worlds(next year 2 first rounders, 1 in the top 10 and I’m sure some team would be paying a few second round picks and a few thirds that they could use to upgrade their players this season or next.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

I really do not see Hopkins starting as the number 2 center, and I definitely do not see Nalhorta starting as 3rd line. They may end up there after the deadline but to move them into those positions early is not a good look for the team.

Emil Pieniniemi

I won't say it is 100% not going to happen just because, but consider this. Kooper is going into the Euro draft with Chromiak as his returning D. A high possibility that he screwed the pooch on his first-round pick and that Malhorta opts for the sunny BC coast.

Is he really going to take a flyer on Emil, maybe coming here? Remember, Emil has a few options: AHL, ECHL and Liga. So let's say they drop Chromiak and Hemstrom opts for Euro. You protect Emil and have one draft spot and choose a forward because you think Emil is coming here maybe.

What do you think happens if Emil shows up and decides to play in Liga ( for money) or makes the AHL?

What do you think the fan reaction would be? Pittsburgh cannot guarantee that he will be here next fall.

I think you will see them attempt to get an RD or a forward, at least, and that men are not protecting Emil.

Cooper needs to protect his job. Losing the number 1 draft choice who told you he was signing with BCHL and not interested in Kingston, PLUS protecting a Euro D that does not show up, is not what makes an owner happy with his front office.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
I would not keep Heyes at all.
He definitely won’t be ahead of Soto if he stays that’s for sure.
I also would look to dump McNamara
Agreed with Soto playing higher up in the lineup over Heyes but I still feel that bench management in terms of ice time was not allocated properly this past season.

Poole, Heyes and sometimes Miedema should not have been on the 4th line. Which players sat on the bench when the team needed a win in playoff game #3? None of these 3 sat, they were critical players in Kingston getting their only playoff win. Should Chromiak be a healthy scratch regularly near the end of the season - I disagree.

Drafting a goalie 37th overall is bold, that's a huge statement and almost guarantees he will be the backup goalie next season.

And for people on where who have a hunch that McNamara is being traded - I don't think that will be happening.
Bramalea Blues 1986-87 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Teammates.JPG

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Agreed with Soto playing higher up in the lineup over Heyes but I still feel that bench management in terms of ice time was not allocated properly this past season.

Poole, Heyes and sometimes Miedema should not have been on the 4th line. Which players sat on the bench when the team needed a win in playoff game #3? None of these 3 sat, they were critical players in Kingston getting their only playoff win. Should Chromiak be a healthy scratch regularly near the end of the season - I disagree.

Drafting a goalie 37th overall is bold, that's a huge statement and almost guarantees he will be the backup goalie next season.

And for people on where who have a hunch that McNamara is being traded - I don't think that will be happening.

View attachment 851929
There was also times when the 4th line was the only one skating. -Those players were being rewarded for working hard. -i don't think a lot of people thought Poole would get the ice time he did either but he thrived after the coaching change under Mann.
Meidema definitely earned his way down to the 4th line he was invisible most of the season and a very big disappointment in my opinion. -They struggled to find a place for him and it wasn't until he found himself on the 4th line that he had a big game.

Chromiak didn't play well the last month or so. Williamson was doing well in most of his showings that i remember expect the 1 playoff game he looked bad.

Troy is a professional I wouldn't read much into playing with his dad 36 years ago. If someone isn't good enough to play OHL hockey I do not think he will jeopardize his coaching future for it,.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
My take on lines -

Battaglia-Frasca-Soto
OA/Import-Hopkins-Miedema
McNamara-Import-OA
Buttar/depth pick-up ('05-06)-Cavallin-Weir

Pieniniemi/Import-Burns
Velliaris-OA
McGowan-Uens
Bergeron-Williamson

Vaccari
Betts/Salajko

How the Cs fall will depend on the quality of OA (and/or) if they can get an elite import to report. If they can get a top end OA/Import C I could see Frasca at 2C (to start) and Hopkins at 3C or maybe even 2LW.

The other thing that intrigues me with the import draft is the reinstatement of Russians, so there's going to be a little more talent than normal in the import draft.

I'm assuming no Malhotra - if he does report I slot him in at 4C to start with Buttar down to the OJHL. I liked that even though he was a second rounder they didn't force Weir to stay in the OHL, even as recently as 2021 someone like Mitchell Brooks probably should've done the same thing but instead he only played 25 games his 16 y/o season and who knows how that affected his development.

As for D - if Pieniniemi reports (I'm not gonna get super optimistic because I'm still not even 100% sure they own his rights after the Chromiak trade) - then he can probably slot in beside Burns on the top pair.

I figure McGowan/Uens will stay as a pair since Mann seems to like them together, and they're more likely to be a 2A/2B instead of 2/3 with the Velliaris/OA pairing. If they're looking at OA D - Sudbury should be the first place to look with 4 very solid '04 D (Van Vliet/Collins/DeAngelis/McCoy) on top of having a couple OA quality forwards as well.

Goalies - I'm not 100% convinced that Vaccari is the answer but I don't really know what their options are - with Betts being hurt all last year I wonder if they start him in the OJHL with Salajko as back-up and if they don't trust Salajko as back-up after a month or two they call Betts up.

The other main thing I think they need to add is grit up front - whether that's with OAs/Imports - or some other moves, they're losing a lot of it with Poole/Heyes/Schmidt leaving.

Forgot to add - I do have Thibodeau as a likely trade candidate for the summer - no idea to where or what the return is but I'm not convinced he'll be back.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I really do not see Hopkins starting as the number 2 center, and I definitely do not see Nalhorta starting as 3rd line. They may end up there after the deadline but to move them into those positions early is not a good look for the team.

If they are looking to upgrade their roster wouldn’t it make sense to have them slide down after the deadline? Not the opposite?

Emil Pieniniemi

I won't say it is 100% not going to happen just because, but consider this. Kooper is going into the Euro draft with Chromiak as his returning D. A high possibility that he screwed the pooch on his first-round pick and that Malhorta opts for the sunny BC coast.
I don’t think he’s coming either but that piece of info with the penguins is interesting. There may be a slim chance but I wouldn’t count on it.
Is he really going to take a flyer on Emil, maybe coming here? Remember, Emil has a few options: AHL, ECHL and Liga. So let's say they drop Chromiak and Hemstrom opts for Euro. You protect Emil and have one draft spot and choose a forward because you think Emil is coming here maybe.
Me personally I’m drafting a right d man first round euro draft that will make an impact an come here then with the second pick(assuming Chromiak goes home or they get rid of him, and they don’t bring hemstrom back as an overage import) they go with a guy who will be here for a 2+ years and centre the 3rd line OR since we are weak in the bottom 6 for LW they can draft a guy there. but I don’t see the point because why would they draft Buttar with their second pick overall then?

I think Buttar and weir should be on the third line, and they draft a younger guy who doesn’t mind playing top 9 with the 2 young wingers at his sides.

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Although Heyes works hard. I don’t think they’re keeping a guy who has been 4th line his whole OHL career just cause he has character. I think they’ll upgrade Heyes for someone who can play all throughout the lineup kind of like Dubois where we saw him go between lines 1-3 at times if needed
I agree. I don’t see Chromiak staying because of the end of season stuff that happened. Very strange to give up a lot for this guy just to never really be shown the first line and be sat in the stands in the playoffs when it matters most.

I checked his stats in the OHL cup and he performed very well. Best game coming against that powerhouse barrie team where they almost pulled off the upset but cole zurawski took a penalty in overtime and barrie scored to win that game. But that’s definitely a game that put him so high in the draft. Clear skills already and still so young with lots of potential. Goalies take a while to learn though. When was the last time we had a 16 year old goalie on the team? Vaccari didn’t even make it his 16 year old season after playing on team Canada.

View attachment 851929
Wow. Yeah safe to say McNamara has some connections.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
How the Cs fall will depend on the quality of OA (and/or) if they can get an elite import to report. If they can get a top end OA/Import C I could see Frasca at 2C (to start) and Hopkins at 3C or maybe even 2LW.
They have to play Hopkins for sure. Especially after the playoff run and last 15 or some games he had in the reg season. Has shown a lot of potential and I’m sure he will work on his finishing and try and fill out his frame some more in the off season here
I'm assuming no Malhotra - if he does report I slot him in at 4C to start with Buttar down to the OJHL. I liked that even though he was a second rounder they didn't force Weir to stay in the OHL, even as recently as 2021 someone like Mitchell Brooks probably should've done the same thing but instead he only played 25 games his 16 y/o season and who knows how that affected his development.
I don’t think malholtra comes here simply because why would he want to play 4th line minutes. He would be better off doing pretty much anything else as long as he gets his minutes.

However if he does come I’m sure an agreement will be reached where he atleast sees the top 9 and PP2. I agree about brooks- they had the guy rot on the 4th line where he barely played and it’s no surprise why he didn’t get any better.

. If they're looking at OA D - Sudbury should be the first place to look with 4 very solid '04 D (Van Vliet/Collins/DeAngelis/McCoy) on top of having a couple OA quality forwards as well.
That’s some of the guys I was thinking of them getting. One of Collins/deangelis/McCoy. Deangelis is the best d man for sure of those 3 but Collins and McCoy have been captains before and McCoy still has the M cup experience so it may be better to go out and get a guy like that who can lead and still do a good job- also the guy is from Belleville. If he came here I wonder if it would be a Braden hache to Saginaw situation where he immediately becomes the captain.
Goalies - I'm not 100% convinced that Vaccari is the answer but I don't really know what their options are - with Betts being hurt all last year I wonder if they start him in the OJHL with Salajko as back-up and if they don't trust Salajko as back-up after a month or two they call Betts up.
I don’t think vaccari will see much action in pre season they’ll prob split games between Betts and salajko to see who they like better.

The other main thing I think they need to add is grit up front - whether that's with OAs/Imports - or some other moves, they're losing a lot of it with Poole/Heyes/Schmidt leaving.
Completely agree. Grit and leadership are some things they need to go out and get. Not sure what forwards around the league would be back that would provide that but going back to McCoy- that would be a great option for our defence.
Forgot to add - I do have Thibodeau as a likely trade candidate for the summer - no idea to where or what the return is but I'm not convinced he'll be back.
I agree I think someone will get traded but I am hoping it isn’t him as for the last 2 years he has shown steady improvement, is one of the faster guys on the ice always and can score. I’d look to trade someone who is inconsistent (maybe like miedema although I think he’s going to have a big breakout year if he plays his role like he played in the playoffs there, more of a big, mean, in your face power forward)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If they are looking to upgrade their roster wouldn’t it make sense to have them slide down after the deadline? Not the opposite?
I think you have to go with either Mcnamara or Cavlin as the second line center to start the year.

You can take Hopkins and make hin the 3rd line center.

Based on that, then I think if, at the deadline, he has shown that he is ready and able to move to the second line, you can do so. If not, then you leave him where he is.

Looking at Chilliwack, they have a great team and a lot of returning players. Malhorta is not going to get any better than 3rd line play on that team. What I would be interested in knowing is if there is an OUT CLAUSE that he can get out of it if he wants to. ie he gets a trade to London or Guelph.

Personally, I think Cooper screwed the proverbial pooch. Elite showed him interest in BCHL, and I think before you draft a player, you need to talk to him and get some sort of assurance that he will report.

The OHL is going to have to step in somewhere along the way as this is getting out of hand with players and parents thinking their last name is Lindros.

I prefer that coaches simply say ok, don't play, stay in the Junior league in your area for the season, and the following draft allows them back and gives the comp pick.

Again, as to the Euro draft, Cooper has to stop with the NHL draftees, who draft kids who are 17 or 16 and will be eligible next year. Drafted players have too many options and too many unknowns.

Draft a kid who is looking to make the NHL and wants to come here.

As to Chromiak, I think this is where prep should come in. Kingston should be talking to Euro players they are interested in and have a realistic shot of getting. If they can get a commitment from 3 players that they will come then either trade or release Chromiak. If they can't then keep him/ That simple

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think you have to go with either Mcnamara or Cavlin as the second line center to start the year.
Beast you can’t be serious about cavallin😂 McNamara would have an argument yes but come on man cavallin shouldn’t even be in the league.
Based on that, then I think if, at the deadline, he has shown that he is ready and able to move to the second line, you can do so. If not, then you leave him where he is.
Beast from the last 20 games of the season and playoffs Hopkins has been one of the most effective players on the team. Doesn’t score every game or get points every game but he gets those chances every game. What happens when he starts to bury those? Can’t put that guy on the 3rd line
Looking at Chilliwack, they have a great team and a lot of returning players. Malhorta is not going to get any better than 3rd line play on that team. What I would be interested in knowing is if there is an OUT CLAUSE that he can get out of it if he wants to. ie he gets a trade to London or Guelph.
Interesting- didn’t know this about chiliwack. Yes I wouldn’t be surprised if he wanted a trade elsewhere. I don’t think he comes here and the fronts are going to get that comp pick and lots of draft picks trading him to the team he wants to go to. But I believe they don’t get to call him defective until September. Could be wrong about that though.

Personally, I think Cooper screwed the proverbial pooch. Elite showed him interest in BCHL, and I think before you draft a player, you need to talk to him and get some sort of assurance that he will report.
This could be apart of the long term plan with the fronts going forward- going all out this coming year (2024/2025) and then at the end of the season we get 2 first round draft picks to help the quick retool(we have a bunch of 05’s, the year after (2025/2026) they’re probably going to look like Peteborough of this year (2023/2024) in terms of trading all the talent for a quick rebuild/retool.

The OHL is going to have to step in somewhere along the way as this is getting out of hand with players and parents thinking their last name is Lindros.

I prefer that coaches simply say ok, don't play, stay in the Junior league in your area for the season, and the following draft allows them back and gives the comp pick.
Completely agree. Happened a little bit before domi but domi is the first one that made so many headlines not reporting here.
As to Chromiak, I think this is where prep should come in. Kingston should be talking to Euro players they are interested in and have a realistic shot of getting. If they can get a commitment from 3 players that they will come then either trade or release Chromiak. If they can't then keep him/ That simple
I agree. But I think a more realistic option is he ends up as a re entry in the import draft and gets picked up by another team similar to the Valentin zhugin situation with Guelph and Saginaw

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My point was that starting Hopkins as the second-line center and having Malhorta as the third-line center was dumb unless you are rebuilding the team. Personally, I have no idea why you have cav in your lineup

As to Chilliwack, that is an interesting scenario. I'm not sure if you follow hockey out west, but the BCHL is trying to become a league in competition with the WHL. They already have players drafted into the NHL and players playing for NCAA scholarships.

This past season they shredded the AJHL with 5 of the AJ teams quitting during the season and moving to BCHL
They are going to move heaven and earth to get top talent to go to their league to build it's brand.

I am sure promises were made that the CHL can not match

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
My point was that starting Hopkins as the second-line center and having Malhorta as the third-line center was dumb unless you are rebuilding the team. Personally, I have no idea why you have cav in your lineup

As to Chilliwack, that is an interesting scenario. I'm not sure if you follow hockey out west, but the BCHL is trying to become a league in competition with the WHL. They already have players drafted into the NHL and players playing for NCAA scholarships.

This past season they shredded the AJHL with 5 of the AJ teams quitting during the season and moving to BCHL
They are going to move heaven and earth to get top talent to go to their league to build it's brand.

I am sure promises were made that the CHL can not match
Tons of players in their second year are ready for the 2nd line - look at Porter Martone in Miss, MIsa in Sag, Sennecke in Oshawa, even Battaglia - this year was his second year and there's no arguing he was playin too high up. After the way Hopkins ended the year the expectation should be for him to at least be given a chance on the 2nd line.

I have no idea what to expect with Malhotra - for Kingston in an ideal world they trade him within the OHL (the rumours were Guelph) - that way they'd get the comp pick plus any trade compensation (which should be at least 2 2s, and a couple 3-4s).

If the BCHL is the route he goes - it's likely just a stepping stone for NCAA and he'd spend 2 years there max before going to NCAA.

If he does come here - even though the Hopkins precedent makes me think they won't, they should give him a shot because from what I read pre-draft he was one of the most responsible 200ft players while having solid offense.

There's still tons of time left in the summer but I am having a tough time seeing this team make enough additions to make a major push next year - there's a few rosters that are definitely better that also have more draft pick assets. I'm guessing they'll end up somewhere between 4-6th with maybe one playoff round win.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Tons of players in their second year are ready for the 2nd line - look at Porter Martone in Miss, MIsa in Sag, Sennecke in Oshawa, even Battaglia - this year was his second year and there's no arguing he was playin too high up. After the way Hopkins ended the year the expectation should be for him to at least be given a chance on the 2nd line.

I have no idea what to expect with Malhotra - for Kingston in an ideal world they trade him within the OHL (the rumours were Guelph) - that way they'd get the comp pick plus any trade compensation (which should be at least 2 2s, and a couple 3-4s).

If the BCHL is the route he goes - it's likely just a stepping stone for NCAA and he'd spend 2 years there max before going to NCAA.

If he does come here - even though the Hopkins precedent makes me think they won't, they should give him a shot because from what I read pre-draft he was one of the most responsible 200ft players while having solid offense.

There's still tons of time left in the summer but I am having a tough time seeing this team make enough additions to make a major push next year - there's a few rosters that are definitely better that also have more draft pick assets. I'm guessing they'll end up somewhere between 4-6th with maybe one playoff round win.
Kingston is in a screwy year this year. Are they good enough for a top 4 placing, or are they going to be in the bottom half still?

If you are going for it, I would suggest that Hopkins would be a better third-line center and bring in someone with experience to fill the second line. Then again, maybe he is ready, and if that is the case, all the power to him. We will know more when Central Scouting lists the draft picks for 2025 and we see what they do in the Euro draft.

As to Malhorta, no matter what, it is a stupid draft pick. You are trading a player that could next year and possibly this year be an impact player for a couple of draft picks . Yes, I know that you get more than 2 picks, but again, they usually get traded away.

Also letting the Lindors rule permeate in the league where players whine and cry about where they are drafted and teams make deals for them is pathetic and sets the wrong tone.

The smart thing for Kingston and all teams to do is say OK, no problem, go play in the BCHL or USHL. Have a nice time. Take the extra pick next year and get on with it.

I hear people whining and crying about London getting this guy or players who say they only want to play in London or London making deals that get them the player at a really cheap cost.

First why are teams drafting these players that will not commit. That is p!ss poor scouting and team managtgement

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With 9-11 nineteen year olds to start the season, Kingston will contend for the division. The team only needs to add good OAs and an import to be among the top contenders imo.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
With 9-11 nineteen year olds to start the season, Kingston will contend for the division. The team only needs to add good OAs and an import to be among the top contenders imo.
My concern is how many of those 19 year olds are high end? Burns and Miedema are the only two that are drafted. Soto, Thibodeau and McNamara could be potential late round picks but if any of them get picked I'd choose Soto.

If Burns can rein in the discipline issues he could be considered elite next year, but unless Miedema has a full season of how he played in the playoffs, Burns is the only that could be seen as elite. I'd much rather have fewer, high end 19 years olds and have to fill in depth as opposed to be missing the high end talent and have to find that. I'm banking on a big year from Hopkins and maybe Weir - although he's a major unknown at the OHL level.

Vaccari is the ultimate x-factor - I don't want to go as far as to say the season hinges on how he does but it's pretty dang close.

I think Oshawa has far and away the inside track to the division with Oster in net and Ritchie/Sennecke up front.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
NHL Central Scouting's final list was released this afternoon -

42. Jacob Battaglia
85. Gabriel Frasca
151. Christopher Thibodeau

I'm still hopeful Battaglia goes towards the mid-end of the 2nd round but the 42nd NA skater is more likely to be towards the middle of the 3rd.

Frasca's stock seems to fall all year - the late start plus the slow start didn't help his case, but hopefully with a healthy off-season he'll prove to be a value pick.

As for Thibodeau - I'm surprised he's on the list. He has results but he's too small for the OHL - unless he magically bulks up 30lbs I don't he's got an NHL future.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Kingston is in a screwy year this year. Are they good enough for a top 4 placing, or are they going to be in the bottom half still?

If you are going for it, I would suggest that Hopkins would be a better third-line center and bring in someone with experience to fill the second line. Then again, maybe he is ready, and if that is the case, all the power to him. We will know more when Central Scouting lists the draft picks for 2025 and we see what they do in the Euro draft.
100% agree atleast start the kid on second line and see how he does- then later in the year a few months or so go by and there the trade deadline where I’m sure they’d add some players. Hopkins can go to 3C or 2nd line as a W if need be. But he needs to be given the chance especially after how strong his season ended.
I hear people whining and crying about London getting this guy or players who say they only want to play in London or London making deals that get them the player at a really cheap cost.

First why are teams drafting these players that will not commit. That is p!ss poor scouting and team managtgement
Beast you have to take chances on certain players. London does the same and that’s why they get so many people committing. They also get some players that say they don’t want to. That’s the beauty of the draft- it’s a all about the chance or the potential that a player will be great or a player will show up.

London took a chance on William Moore last year and he never showed up. Backfired on them. It doesn’t happen as much to a team like London who had a reputation for being great but no team is safe.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
My concern is how many of those 19 year olds are high end? Burns and Miedema are the only two that are drafted. Soto, Thibodeau and McNamara could be potential late round picks but if any of them get picked I'd choose Soto.

If Burns can rein in the discipline issues he could be considered elite next year, but unless Miedema has a full season of how he played in the playoffs, Burns is the only that could be seen as elite. I'd much rather have fewer, high end 19 years olds and have to fill in depth as opposed to be missing the high end talent and have to find that. I'm banking on a big year from Hopkins and maybe Weir - although he's a major unknown at the OHL level.

Vaccari is the ultimate x-factor - I don't want to go as far as to say the season hinges on how he does but it's pretty dang close.

I think Oshawa has far and away the inside track to the division with Oster in net and Ritchie/Sennecke up front.
Oshawa should be good too, but probably not deep.

Christopolous, Wakely, VanSteensel, LeBlanc(s), Cooke, Romani, Ride, Kennedy, …were not drafted.

It doesn’t really matter which number you put on lines Frasca, McNamara, and Hopkins centre. The role they are put in matters more. Maybe Medeima, McNamara, and an OA or 18-19 yr old import can play against other teams top lines; then Frasca and Hopkins can be put in more favourable offensive positions.

Last edited:

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
100% agree atleast start the kid on second line and see how he does- then later in the year a few months or so go by and there the trade deadline where I’m sure they’d add some players. Hopkins can go to 3C or 2nd line as a W if need be. But he needs to be given the chance especially after how strong his season ended.

Beast you have to take chances on certain players. London does the same and that’s why they get so many people committing. They also get some players that say they don’t want to. That’s the beauty of the draft- it’s a all about the chance or the potential that a player will be great or a player will show up.

London took a chance on William Moore last year and he never showed up. Backfired on them. It doesn’t happen as much to a team like London who had a reputation for being great but no team is safe.
That's exactly it, sometimes you gotta take some measured draft gambles. If they pay off, its a massive win, but if they don't, then you gotta deal with it. The Petes and GM Mike Oke took two gambles this year on Alexander Hage and Colin Fitzgerald and I hope at least one reports (my Petes bias is telling me both will be Petes:laugh::laugh:)

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad