Kingston Frontenacs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
You might be right in that there may not be a team that needs him right now. My point was more so that I expect him to be an above average starter (if someone needs a goalie and can sacrifice a spot) and I can say that I'm sure the Fronts don't want to face him in the playoffs given how he can steal games.

He has a career 4.14 GGA and a SV of .883. If you don't want to face that, who do you want to face?

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
He has a career 4.14 GGA and a SV of .883. If you don't want to face that, who do you want to face?
He played for teams that ranged from pretty bad to incredibly bad…. There isn’t a goalie in the world that would have had good stats in those situations

Reactions: ottsabrefan

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
He played for teams that ranged from pretty bad to incredibly bad…. There isn’t a goalie in the world that would have had good stats in those situations

From an analytical perspective, you're probably right, team affects are a thing, but his backups had similar if not better numbers and they certainly are not guys that would be considered OHL quality netminders.

Dugas should have at least had marginal better numbers then Propp or Bonello. He really didn't. He probably better then those guys, but he should have been much better.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
From an analytical perspective, you're probably right, team affects are a thing, but his backups had similar if not better numbers and they certainly are not guys that would be considered OHL quality netminders.

Dugas should have at least had marginal better numbers then Propp or Bonello. He really didn't. He probably better then those guys, but he should have been much better.
He was also 2 or 3 years younger then them, and was a rookie. The fact he was an equal at that age should point to him being at a higher level as an oa now

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
He was also 2 or 3 years younger then them, and was a rookie. The fact he was an equal at that age should point to him being at a higher level as an oa now

I was referring to his previous season, which was his second season within the organization and his third season post the draft. He was two years younger, but if he was that much better, it should have shown in the numbers.

We had a 17 year old last time we played in Owen Sound put up better numbers then lots of 19 year olds on 'better' teams.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Merilainen pulled in his second start. IMO, I'd give Dugas a good long look before trading him as I haven't seen anything that shows Merilainen's an elite OHL goalie in the three games he's played. Still early but still.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kingston's defense corps is terrible at moving the puck. I don't care how good their top two forward lines are, they're going to be crippled by this defense's inability to pass the puck and begin transition.

To be honest, I'm shocked how highly rated Kingston is to start the year with who they have on defense. Can't say much about the rookies yet, but among the vets they're really, really bad with the puck on their stick.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Kingston's defense corps is terrible at moving the puck. I don't care how good their top two forward lines are, they're going to be crippled by this defense's inability to pass the puck and begin transition.

To be honest, I'm shocked how highly rated Kingston is to start the year with who they have on defense. Can't say much about the rookies yet, but among the vets they're really, really bad with the puck on their stick.
Agree. They can't get the puck to Wright. They also have trouble keeping pucks in at the blue line. The D looked especially bad today without Peric. The second unit PP also suffers because of the D as the first PP uses up five forwards making the second unit too watered down.

Merilainen looked more comfortable in net today. He'll need to up his game even further in front of this D.

Should also add the top line REALLY misses Wisdom. They look off without him and a bit too soft. He opens up a lot of room that is not there right now and would put Ludwinski on the 3rd line to get that line going.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Agree. They can't get the puck to Wright. They also have trouble keeping pucks in at the blue line. The D looked especially bad today without Peric. The second unit PP also suffers because of the D as the first PP uses up five forwards making the second unit too watered down.

If they could sprinkle in a couple of veteran offensive defensemen, it would go a long way. Hache and Murray are dependable enough in their own zone, Peric's decent as a middle tier defenseman, but none of them provide the puck movement or puck support in the offensive zone to take full advantage of the talent up front.

Merilainen looked more comfortable in net today. He'll need to up his game even further in front of this D.

Goalies are voodoo for me, so I rarely try to dissect their game. Relies too much on talking about angles and positioning, and watching on TV (which is all I've been able to do thus far) means you can't always tell how good a goalie's positioning is because the camera doesn't focus on him until the puck is in that vicinity.

Should also add the top line REALLY misses Wisdom. They look off without him and a bit too soft. He opens up a lot of room that is not there right now and would put Ludwinski on the 3rd line to get that line going.

Ludwinki looked more physical the first game, but wasn't as noticeable the past two. But yeah, that top line needs something. They're obviously talented individually, but they don't look dangerous shift to shift like they're capable of being.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
If they could sprinkle in a couple of veteran offensive defensemen, it would go a long way. Hache and Murray are dependable enough in their own zone, Peric's decent as a middle tier defenseman, but none of them provide the puck movement or puck support in the offensive zone to take full advantage of the talent up front.

Goalies are voodoo for me, so I rarely try to dissect their game. Relies too much on talking about angles and positioning, and watching on TV (which is all I've been able to do thus far) means you can't always tell how good a goalie's positioning is because the camera doesn't focus on him until the puck is in that vicinity.

Ludwinki looked more physical the first game, but wasn't as noticeable the past two. But yeah, that top line needs something. They're obviously talented individually, but they don't look dangerous shift to shift like they're capable of being.

Agreed. They should target Thompson out of Sudbury. That would be a huge get. Pushing everyone down the pecking order by a couple spots would be really helpful. I've liked Burns though. Glad they are not eligible to trade him.

I was seeing rebound control and slow reflex issues with Merilainen. He looked more relaxed overall today and a bit quicker. More concerned about the relexes long term as they need him to be elite.

That top line is getting targeted physically and it seems to be working which won't make it stop anytime soon. Chromiak especially has been struggling to adjust to the lack of space. I've been impressed with Ludwinski but he doesn't create the space that Wisdom does.

I thought Soto looked real good today. One of the best players. Probably his best game so far. He's going to be a good one...for somebody.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I must say impressed with the insight on your thread. I do agree you miss Wisdom a lot. I also agree your D needs upgrading. They were bad in their zone against Ottawa today and did not react well to Ottawa's speed on the forecheck. That being said your top two lines are wow and pretty sure they are going to throw in the kitchen sink to upgrade this year. Can't let talent like Wright/Chromiak etc go to waste. Ottawa won't win many against you this year.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019

And not so great off the stick in their own end. Look at the second goal by Mississauga. Both D -- one of which is Hache -- left a man unattended to screen Merilainen. That one is entirely the fault of the D as the goalie had absolutely no view.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ludwinski is not a digger he is a goalscorer. Kingston needs to find someone that will be a set-up person and go into the corners.

As to the defence they had a bad one before and did o seem to upgrade it at all through the draft. Peric is not the answer and never was. Kingston needs to let him go if another OA D comes available.

The reason that Kingston got rated so high is the wright hype.

You are right though one line is not going to make this team a winner. Teams will just put their shutdown people on them and keep them low in scoring.
Ludwinski should be on a second line that can be developed and easy to take up some of the burdens.

Thisd may sound crazy but you have to build toward next year with this team. This year is set with the number 1 line the question though is next year what will you have if you do not have a strong second line this year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ludwinski is not a digger he is a goalscorer. Kingston needs to find someone that will be a set-up person and go into the corners.

As to the defence they had a bad one before and did o seem to upgrade it at all through the draft. Peric is not the answer and never was. Kingston needs to let him go if another OA D comes available.

The reason that Kingston got rated so high is the wright hype.

You are right though one line is not going to make this team a winner. Teams will just put their shutdown people on them and keep them low in scoring.
Ludwinski should be on a second line that can be developed and easy to take up some of the burdens.

Thisd may sound crazy but you have to build toward next year with this team. This year is set with the number 1 line the question though is next year what will you have if you do not have a strong second line this year

I don’t think you thought that through. The Frontenac are not a one line team.
Kingston drafted a D in round 2-‘21, 3-‘20, 4-‘19, 1-‘18; they have addressed the D; and, they will likely address the need for an impact D this season if they really do intend to contend.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Hey Fronts fans I’m heading down to the game tomorrow. Sitting in section 112 near the top. Any advice about nearby restaurants or places with good atmosphere, live music maybe. Staying at the Days Inn by Wyndham. Apparently only ten minutes from the rink. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Hey Fronts fans I’m heading down to the game tomorrow. Sitting in section 112 near the top. Any advice about nearby restaurants or places with good atmosphere, live music maybe. Staying at the Days Inn by Wyndham. Apparently only ten minutes from the rink. Thanks guys.
The merchant is just around the corner from the rink, should be live music on Friday night after the game. There isn’t really any bars around the hotel you’re at.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The merchant is just around the corner from the rink, should be live music on Friday night after the game. There isn’t really any bars around the hotel you’re at.
Yes - the merchant is great place for a meal! Eaten there a number of times. Only issue I ever had was it is a cold place on a cold winter night. Old building so I guess it comes with the territory.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Make sure you give is a full report!!

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Thoughts on the 3-2 start to the year? How has Wright looked? I am looking forward to following his progress this year

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Okay having lived in Kingsotn most of my life I know that NHL loyalties are varied,
BUT

If you were to bet 1000 which would you choose.

Kingsotn winning the OHL championship
or the Leafs making it past the second round of the playoffa.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Okay having lived in Kingsotn most of my life I know that NHL loyalties are varied,
BUT

If you were to bet 1000 which would you choose.

Kingsotn winning the OHL championship
or the Leafs making it past the second round of the playoffa.
Can I just keep my money?

Being a Leafs and Frontenacs fan doesn't make for a good time.

Reactions: beastintheeast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad