Kingston Frontenacs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Need guys to show up, plain and simple. Looks like the team is worn out. Tired and who can blame them, coach can't manage the bench or ice time and has bagged these top 6-7 guys even the last 4-5 games in the regular season when we couldn't move up or down in the standings. They are in great physical shape at this age, but are worn out.
I would pin that more on the GM than the head coach. Cooper didn’t get a solid 4th line to the extent where they could roll 4 lines if they wanted to.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Rough loss on our own turf, but apparently Kyle Jackson has some kind of vendetta against us... Was a good game but Jackson made an amazing defensive play on Chromiak and from there they struggled.

At this point as long as they keep Jackson off the scoreboard on Thurs it'll be a success - I won't be there but the dude is averaging a hat trick per game at the Leon's centre this year - there's no way he can't be a focal point for the coaches
I’m surprised they haven’t got the memo yet on Jackson. Geez.

If the PK continues to only be able to kill off just over half their penalties it will be lights out for the Fronts pretty soon.

Definitely a disappointing ending to what should have been a W.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I would pin that more on the GM than the head coach. Cooper didn’t get a solid 4th line to the extent where they could roll 4 lines if they wanted to.
They have probably the best physical 4th line in Poole Heyes and Stewart, too bad they aren't all healthy. Maybe soon, if we last a while longer

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
They have probably the best physical 4th line in Poole Heyes and Stewart, too bad they aren't all healthy. Maybe soon, if we last a while longer
I do like the line for physicality but still wish they would have added a bit more speed and offence for it. I agree the injuries have killed that line. To me the much bigger sin was not addressing the D/G enough.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I do like the line for physicality but still wish they would have added a bit more speed and offence for it. I agree the injuries have killed that line. To me the much bigger sin was not addressing the D/G enough.

Looking at the NHL draft it is going to be an interesting draft day for Wright.
The questions will be
Does Montreal want him? Will he be able to crack the team?
If Montreal takes the European who will NJ trade with and will that team expect him to make the team.

Like I said it is going to be a long spring for Shane Wright.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Responding to dirty12 from NB site…in net the best option would have been Guzda, but I think Weeks would have been a good option. I honestly would have liked to see Dugas back. I’m not sure why they didn’t give him a chance as he looked pretty good as an 18 year old on a weak Fronts team. He had a better save percentage than Vrebetic, Constantini, Lennox, Weeks, Ranger, etc. Sure it would have meant no Peric, but it also would have opened up a Euro spot (Pinchek would have easily filled the gap of a Soto trade to shore up the D).

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Merilainen at #48 of the import draft was considered a great get for the Frontenacs, and an example of how that draft can be pre-determined by player, agents, contacts, …I don’t recall anyone stating the Merilainen selection was a mistake at the time.
Releasing Peric in a hypothetical Merilainen-Guzda trade, then trade for another import and another D, if Merilainen, agent, NHL team all agree to it works. It also would have likely cost two roster players and left the fronts void of picks.
As is, I think the Frontenacs gave themselves a reasonable shot at a conference final. They can be competitive until the next deadline before trading Arcuri with Roger or Murray, and be right back in contention the following season.
A lot of things could have happened along the way to a conference final this year; remember a Fronts team that lost Jones to a broken finger, Day to knee/ankle injury, and a goalie with a 0.946 SV% at the deadline that got exposed for having no ability to control a rebound on the blocker side? I was in Kingston from January to late spring to watch that tragedy unfold. Villardi was a treat to watch; for two months or so until his back began to weaken, he was the most dominant player in the OHL imo.
BTW, attendance was barely over 3000.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Merilainen at #48 of the import draft was considered a great get for the Frontenacs, and an example of how that draft can be pre-determined by player, agents, contacts, …I don’t recall anyone stating the Merilainen selection was a mistake at the time.
Releasing Peric in a hypothetical Merilainen-Guzda trade, then trade for another import and another D, if Merilainen, agent, NHL team all agree to it works. It also would have likely cost two roster players and left the fronts void of picks.
As is, I think the Frontenacs gave themselves a reasonable shot at a conference final. They can be competitive until the next deadline before trading Arcuri with Roger or Murray, and be right back in contention the following season.
A lot of things could have happened along the way to a conference final this year; remember a Fronts team that lost Jones to a broken finger, Day to knee/ankle injury, and a goalie with a 0.946 SV% at the deadline that got exposed for having no ability to control a rebound on the blocker side? I was in Kingston from January to late spring to watch that tragedy unfold. Villardi was a treat to watch; for two months or so until his back began to weaken, he was the most dominant player in the OHL imo.
BTW, attendance was barely over 3000.
Yeah, don’t bring up that season again! :) Although that was a fun first two rounds of playoffs at least!

I get what you are saying and you are right, the Merilainen add at the time looked like a steal. It’s just in the end, that didn’t play out as expected and the D (which we all knew was an issue coming into the year) was never addressed despite having the assets (limited picks and Soto) to make that happen. So, again Fronts fans have a stacked team go up in smoke as management didn’t find a way to get things done. And to make it worse it was Belleville (Hamilton) that stole the show…again, just like the season you cited.

As for attendance, most of the seats looked empty, which is a shame for the second round, especially when you see your opponents and their nearly packed house. I doubt it was actually 3000 in attendance but they might have announced it as that.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The D was the area to address. I thought RD Roger for two seasons was an excellent move; and Belanger for two underwhelming, but ok. Thing is, four months after the deadline, I still don’t know who was available that could have made a difference. I’m convinced the cost of Thompson would not add significant wins as Edmonds or Wright as PP point man is just as good.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
The D was the area to address. I thought RD Roger for two seasons was an excellent move; and Belanger for two underwhelming, but ok. Thing is, four months after the deadline, I still don’t know who was available that could have made a difference. I’m convinced the cost of Thompson would not add significant wins as Edmonds or Wright as PP point man is just as good.
I agree with Roger. IMO, he is their top Dman. I also think the Belanger add helped too as he is good at skating it out of their own end, which they struggle badly with (though they now moved him up to forward due to injuries and trying to make three scoring lines).

Unfortunately, it just wasn’t enough. All those experienced D didn’t really develop as would have been expected. As for trade, just looking down the road at Ottawa, a player like Metier would have been a huge add. Obviously, since he is returning next year that would have been pricey, but just an idea. You would think a shutdown Dman (or two) that moves the puck out of the zone, but doesn’t necessarily put up points could be found for a reasonable price, but maybe that wasn’t the case.

At the end of the day, you feel bad for your fellow Fronts fans. Another go for it year (and the top NHL pick) down the drain, and still no OHL final appearance in 40+ years and counting.

Reactions: dirty12

LazyDuck

Nov 5, 2021
I agree with Roger. IMO, he is their top Dman. I also think the Belanger add helped too as he is good at skating it out of their own end, which they struggle badly with (though they now moved him up to forward due to injuries and trying to make three scoring lines).

Unfortunately, it just wasn’t enough. All those experienced D didn’t really develop as would have been expected. As for trade, just looking down the road at Ottawa, a player like Metier would have been a huge add. Obviously, since he is returning next year that would have been pricey, but just an idea. You would think a shutdown Dman (or two) that moves the puck out of the zone, but doesn’t necessarily put up points could be found for a reasonable price, but maybe that wasn’t the case.

At the end of the day, you feel bad for your fellow Fronts fans. Another go for it year (and the top NHL pick) down the drain, and still no OHL final appearance in 40+ years and counting.
Cooper choked on a major load. Plain and simple.

UpwardBoss

Dec 15, 2021
Too little, too late. Terrible goaltending by Merilainen made a comeback impossible.

Back to mediocrity we go. Sigh.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Roger is a 2002 born 2nd round pick to the NHL. Very unlikely he's not gone to pro next year. NHL teams trust their own development and coaches over that of a junior hockey team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Roger is a 2002 born 2nd round pick to the NHL. Very unlikely he's not gone to pro next year. NHL teams trust their own development and coaches over that of a junior hockey team.
Roger is a late birth with only 1 1/2 seasons played in the OHL, and players return for their draft +2 year more often than not. If Coe and Xhekaj can be returned for their OA season, so can Roger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad