Kingston Frontenacs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Fluky first 2 goals for the Fronts, then at 3-1 Hache takes a moronic penalty that was sold well by McKinney and Gens make them pay.

Interesting to see Belanger taking some shifts at C with Frasca tossed and Poole hurt, but he hasn't looked out of place and it really looks like he might slot in as a 3C assuming Frasca is suspended and Poole doesn't make it back for Game 4

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Better team won tonight - probably should've been a 6-3 or 7-3, Merilainen had some amazing saves and Budnick had some clutch blocks.

Top line was completely invisible - if they can't step it up on Thursday something's gotta change. With Frasca likely out I think you have to put Ludwinski up there since he's been easily their best player through 3 games.

They have to switch up the PP - a team with this much talent shouldn't look that bad on a five minute PP - I think they need to split up the fire power and honestly I'd throw Ludwinski on the #1 unit to keep his hot streak going.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Fluky first 2 goals for the Fronts, then at 3-1 Hache takes a moronic penalty that was sold well by McKinney and Gens make them pay.

Interesting to see Belanger taking some shifts at C with Frasca tossed and Poole hurt, but he hasn't looked out of place and it really looks like he might slot in as a 3C assuming Frasca is suspended and Poole doesn't make it back for Game 4
Really sold well by McKinney right, he was at least 2 feet facing the boards Frasca crosscheck McKinney in the numbers a dangerous play a suspension coming as well as Smith

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Really sold well by McKinney right, he was at least 2 feet facing the boards Frasca crosscheck McKinney in the numbers a dangerous play a suspension coming as well as Smith
If you read the comment, I'm talking about the little tap on the back of the leg from Hache that he dropped instantly for - the Frasca hit was stupid as I already said and 100% deserves the suspension that's coming

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
If you read the comment, I'm talking about the little tap on the back of the leg from Hache that he dropped instantly for - the Frasca hit was stupid as I already said and 100% deserves the suspension that's coming
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I didn’t get a chance to watch more than the opening 5 mins (and that dreadful PP) and the last few mins of the second and third. Those last few minutes of the third looked awful. The team was running around crazily out of control. Kudos to the Gens for cashing in on it as they deserved a goal there.

If Frasca is out long term that will be a disaster for this team. He is essentially the number 1 center and the top line runs through him. He is also by far the top face off man on the team. They might get past Oshawa with out him but I would be shocked if they get through the next round without him, so fingers crossed.

Edit: it looks like Frasca will miss just the next game in Oshawa. Hopefully, the team can steal a win without him and bring it home to close it off for Game 5 with him back in the lineup.

Last edited:

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Curious to see the lines for tonight - with Frasca out (somehow only got 1 game, definitely don't agree but not complaining) and I can only assume Poole is out as well.

I'm gonna take a wild stab -

Chromiak-Wright-Edmonds
Arcuri-Ludwinski-Wisdom
Hughes-Belanger-Soto
Stewart-Thibodeau-Heyes

Murray-Peric
Hache-Roger
Budnick-Burns

Merilainen
Spooner

I was extremely impressed with Belanger playing down the middle on Tuesday and I think he's able to handle a full game there. He's already been playing as a forward on the second PP unit and doesn't look out of place at all.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Curious to see the lines for tonight - with Frasca out (somehow only got 1 game, definitely don't agree but not complaining) and I can only assume Poole is out as well.

I'm gonna take a wild stab -

Chromiak-Wright-Edmonds
Arcuri-Ludwinski-Wisdom
Hughes-Belanger-Soto
Stewart-Thibodeau-Heyes

Murray-Peric
Hache-Roger
Budnick-Burns

Merilainen
Spooner

I was extremely impressed with Belanger playing down the middle on Tuesday and I think he's able to handle a full game there. He's already been playing as a forward on the second PP unit and doesn't look out of place at all.
Belanger played half the year at forward “last year” for the 67s, so he can handle it. But, is Burns back from injury? I prefer to keep him with Budnick as they have looked great together so far.

I agree with your top top lines. I could also see Hughes or even Wright centering the fourth line (if things aren’t chippy), with Thibodeau centering the third line. IMO, lots of options for those bottom two lines but none are overly ideal.

Would be nice to get Callens back. He would be very useful in this series. Any idea where he is?

Anyway, you slice it, big game tonight. Hopefully they can get back to playing their game, especially in the third. They have been outscored 7-2 the last two third periods (and out scoring the Gens 13-2 outside of those two periods).

Last edited:

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Heyes out with injury, callens still out, not sure why they don't move stewart up to the 3rd line,

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Belanger played half the year at forward “last year” for the 67s, so he can handle it. But, is Burns back from injury? I prefer to keep him with Budnick as they have looked great together so far.

I agree with your top top lines. I could also see Hughes or even Wright centering the fourth line (if things aren’t chippy), with Thibodeau centering the third line. IMO, lots of options for those bottom two lines but none are overly ideal.

Would be nice to get Callens back. He would be very useful in this series. Any idea where he is?

Anyway, you slice it, big game tonight. Hopefully they can get back to playing their game, especially in the third. They have been outscored 7-2 the last two third periods (and out scoring the Gens 13-2 outside of those two periods).
I overheard Callens' billet talking to someone and he sounded like he's got a disclocated shoulder - don't have a timeline though.

Burns is on the playoff roster and played in games 65/66 of the year - he didn't play in the last two but if I had to guess they wanted to see what they had for next year in Schneider/McGowan so I think he's healthy.

Heyes out with injury, callens still out, not sure why they don't move stewart up to the 3rd line,

Oh man - if Heyes is out I don't think they have any choice but to move Belanger up. IMO Stewart's nowhere near a good enough skater to have anything more than a third line role for now. I don't know the ins and outs of the playoff roster rules, but the only other two forwards they have on it are Thibodeau and Brooks - neither of which have ideal size for playoff hockey.

On D they've got Burns/Schneider - I imagine if we're down three forwards both forwards go in and Burns slots in on the 3rd pair.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Stewart isn't pretty but he gets there, burns is out for 10-12 weeks, broken collarbone and cracked scapula. Stewart way more cut out for playoff hockey on third line than Hughes. Hughes can skate, but scared to death. Ask Soto who he would rather have on his wing in the playoffs.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I overheard Callens' billet talking to someone and he sounded like he's got a disclocated shoulder - don't have a timeline though.

Burns is on the playoff roster and played in games 65/66 of the year - he didn't play in the last two but if I had to guess they wanted to see what they had for next year in Schneider/McGowan so I think he's healthy.

Oh man - if Heyes is out I don't think they have any choice but to move Belanger up. IMO Stewart's nowhere near a good enough skater to have anything more than a third line role for now. I don't know the ins and outs of the playoff roster rules, but the only other two forwards they have on it are Thibodeau and Brooks - neither of which have ideal size for playoff hockey.

On D they've got Burns/Schneider - I imagine if we're down three forwards both forwards go in and Burns slots in on the 3rd pair.
Yikes. This team is getting really dinged up. Sounds like Callens, Hayes, Poole, and Burns all out. With a NB team that is waiting for us. Burns got smoked against the 67’s in game 66 in Ottawa and never returned. Would be surprised to see him back, but hopefully he is.

I doubt Schneider is ready for playoff hockey so they would be down to 5 D if Belanger must get moved up. I think Thibodeau goes to the 3rd line and Stewart stays on the 4th line with Brooks and either Hughes at center or Wright (Wright on 4th line and Hughes goes 3rd line if Belanger goes back to D).

Another concern is the toughness factor. With Poole, Callens and Hayes out, playing against a chippy Gens team is definitely concerning.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Stewart isn't pretty but he gets there, burns is out for 10-12 weeks, broken collarbone and cracked scapula. Stewart way more cut out for playoff hockey on third line than Hughes. Hughes can skate, but scared to death. Ask Soto who he would rather have on his wing in the playoffs.
Thanks for clarifying on Burns. That was a bad hit he took. You may be right in Stewart in terms of him moving up. I worry about his skating as well, but we have limited options.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
True, toughness will fall to Stewart, which he shows to be fine with. They do like Thibodeua on the 3rd,

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Huge game by the team shorthanded! Merilainen had another very strong effort. Wisdom and Ludwinski continue to dominate. And it was great to see Wright, Chromiak and Edmonds get going at long last with some huge goals. Really impressive effort by the 3rd and 4th lines, especially Belanger at center and Thibodeau on that wing playing fearless out there. Hopefully, they can end it back home on Saturday night!

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Good to Shane get a goal, he needed that. Wisdom and Ludwinski continue to be our best players. Thiboduea fearless? Have to disagree there, lol. Lays on the ice and then barely makes it to the bench with a leg injury. Back out next shift.
Skates 100 mph but that's all. I'm sure he's a good kid

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Oshawa is a pound team. That has always been the downfall of the Fronts. They get beat up during the first couple of games and start to hear the footsteps.

Hopefully, they have the depth to withstand the injuries. Winning Game 5 is a must to end this series before too many people get injured or hurt.

As to Belanger, no need to worry. He is skillful in checking forward.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Good to Shane get a goal, he needed that. Wisdom and Ludwinski continue to be our best players. Thiboduea fearless? Have to disagree there, lol. Lays on the ice and then barely makes it to the bench with a leg injury. Back out next shift.
Skates 100 mph but that's all. I'm sure he's a good kid
I noticed Thibodeau, as a 5’9 lightweight, knowing he is going to get drilled, being the first one into the corner and initiating contact. I’m glad he wasn’t badly injured as his leg was pinned backwards when that guy fell on his leg. I’ve seen many serious injuries that look like that.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
This game has better be the end of all the complaining about haches dad being head of officiating, this game is brutally one sided...

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I don't remember the last time if been this frustrated after a fronts loss. Leaver was amazing as I was worried about but tossing his helmet off with no straps loose is such a weak move it's hard to respect it.

The Budnick call that led to the 3rd Oshawa goal was super weak, they were fighting for position then they go through Merilainen - apparently only Budnick gets the call.

Soto got mugged on back to back shifts by Stewart, and they even blew the play dead but give any penalties - idk who he is but ref Hamilton seems to always be on the end of questionable games, I usually don't pay attention to the refs names but I've seen his name a few times going against the Fronts.

I may just be bitter and vocal because I've had more than a few brews but I can't get over the officiating. I'm not even gonna say they deserved the W but they were fighting an uphill battle all game.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
This game has better be the end of all the complaining about haches dad being head of officiating, this game is brutally one sided...
Oh my god you're actually being serious? I thought this was a joke before seeing your 2nd post. There's no possible chance you saw it this way. KGN got the call on like 10 different 50/50 calls tonight.... But you're mad the Gens got 1??? Holy shit
I don't remember the last time if been this frustrated after a fronts loss. Leaver was amazing as I was worried about but tossing his helmet off with no straps loose is such a weak move it's hard to respect it.

The Budnick call that led to the 3rd Oshawa goal was super weak, they were fighting for position then they go through Merilainen - apparently only Budnick gets the call.

Soto got mugged on back to back shifts by Stewart, and they even blew the play dead but give any penalties - idk who he is but ref Hamilton seems to always be on the end of questionable games, I usually don't pay attention to the refs names but I've seen his name a few times going against the Fronts.

I may just be bitter and vocal because I've had more than a few brews but I can't get over the officiating. I'm not even gonna say they deserved the W but they were fighting an uphill battle all game.

No straps loose?? Literally both straps on his helmet came off when the puck hit him in the face, how else do you think one head nod and it comes off? You can't just nod your helmet off if the straps are still on lol....

Kingston fans absolutely can not complain about the refs in this one. Marrelli with a clean hit in Ludwinski, Wisdom comes flying in as 3rd man in and take out Marrelli then Ludwinski gets up and cross checks him in the face. Yet somehow no penalty to Wisdom at all. That was crazy. Then later in the game Harrison takes a high sticking penalty and both Peric nad Ludwinski start a scrum as the aggressors and again neither one gets a penalty, and this time the ref decides he's not doing matching minors which he had made the precedent, instead hess going with just the original penalty on Harrison and nothing for the aggressor in the scrum (complete reversal of how he called it in the 1st). Olaussin and Peric both looking the complete opposite direction and run into each other hard and both player is sent flying. They call that only a penalty on Olausson and Kingston gets a PP....

And and how about the fact that Jordan Frasca is even playing???? Should've been a Patrick Leaver shutout tonight. A joke Frasca's even in the series still.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

Kingston did have 4 pp and only scored once I guess it was the refs fault.

Last edited:

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Oh my god you're actually being serious? I thought this was a joke before seeing your 2nd post. There's no possible chance you saw it this way. KGN got the call on like 10 different 50/50 calls tonight.... But you're mad the Gens got 1??? Holy shit

No straps loose?? Literally both straps on his helmet came off when the puck hit him in the face, how else do you think one head nod and it comes off? You can't just nod your helmet off if the straps are still on lol....

Kingston fans absolutely can not complain about the refs in this one. Marrelli with a clean hit in Ludwinski, Wisdom comes flying in as 3rd man in and take out Marrelli then Ludwinski gets up and cross checks him in the face. Yet somehow no penalty to Wisdom at all. That was crazy. Then later in the game Harrison takes a high sticking penalty and both Peric nad Ludwinski start a scrum as the aggressors and again neither one gets a penalty, and this time the ref decides he's not doing matching minors which he had made the precedent, instead hess going with just the original penalty on Harrison and nothing for the aggressor in the scrum (complete reversal of how he called it in the 1st). Olaussin and Peric both looking the complete opposite direction and run into each other hard and both player is sent flying. They call that only a penalty on Olausson and Kingston gets a PP....

And and how about the fact that Jordan Frasca is even playing???? Should've been a Patrick Leaver shutout tonight. A joke Frasca's even in the series still.
I can't argue the Frasca comment - he does not deserve to be in the game, as far as I'm concerned he shouldve gotten 3 games, but that has nothing to do with these refs.

That Ludwinski/Marrelli scrum had a lot going on, but you can't seriously think "third man in" - whoever is closest in a scrum is gonna be the "third man in"...

As for Leaver - he stole the game and he worries me like Vasy scares me for the leafs - a really good goalie that has the ability to steal games, but I still thought the helmet came too conveniently for him as soon as Kingston had pressure.

10 50/50 calls eh? There's no way in hell... Ertel made no effort stop while running through Merilainen when Budnick hooked him.

If your gonna talk about all this - how do you blow a play dead for a mugging (Stewart on Soto) but not give any penalties? I'd even have understood coincidentals but nothing is ridiculous.

I don't mind you defending your guys and obviously were gonna have difference of opinions but come on this was not 50/50.

Kingston did have 4 pp and only scored once I guess it was the refs fault.
As for this - yeah the fronts PP and PK let them down but I'm still not pleased with the calls - obviously I'm biased like Gens fans are for them but I didn't think it was called down the middle.

Hopefully the fronts take them down tomorrow in their own barn and make it sting all that much more (I'm aware how much this might get flipped on me - I'll own it)

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
From what I have seen in the series including game 1 live the refs have strongly sided with the Gens. Maybe Frasca could have gotten an extra game or two but other than that the refs seem to be doing a good job keeping the Gens in this series.

I wish I saw more of last nights game to make a comment on Leaver but the other games he has gotten lit up he seems to struggle on screens. He has done a poor job of fighting through them IMO so I’d be curious as to whether he faced many screen shots last night. They need to get screen shots and they should be fine.

I’d also add on the Ludwinski/Wisdom stuff that Ludwinski was getting cross checked several times in the back while the player was on top of him (easy call for a penalty, tough decision maybe on 4 or 2), and Wisdom came out to help the Ludwinski beat down. Not exactly a 3rd man in as it wasn’t exactly a fight as it was one player cheap shoting one of the Fronts leading scorers. That bad call leads to a 4 on 4 and the Gens tieing goal. Didn’t see all the other plays but that one stuck out as a terrible call by the ref and a shock that a Gens fan could defend it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad