Kingston Frontenacs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
From what I have seen in the series including game 1 live the refs have strongly sided with the Gens. Maybe Frasca could have gotten an extra game or two but other than that the refs seem to be doing a good job keeping the Gens in this series.
Really

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
How the hell do you not have someone go straight to the guy that's lined up for the one timer with 3 goddamn seconds left...

Now Oshawa has all the momentum and Kingston is gonna be shellshocked - hopefully Caputi can calm them down

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Big series win - not as easy as I'd hoped but the Fronts were able to withstand some serious momentum changes.

Finally a big goal for Wright - hopefully he can go on a hot streak and start filling the net.

When both teams complain about the officiating it either means it was balanced good or balanced - but the refs put away their whistles in this game but other than the admittedly garbage call on Tullio (I can understand how the ref saw it because when Tullio spun around his stick looked like it made hard contact but it 100% did not) I didn't have a ton of complaints, there were missed calls both ways.

Ludwinski and Wisdom were the definite MVPs of the series - hopefully they can keep it up, having Ludwinski providing some offense on the third line with Soto (who had a great forecheck leading to the 4th goal).

Reactions: ottsabrefan

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Alls well that ends well, I guess. Lol Glad they won but man this team has a way of blowing massive leads. They need to stop doing that at some point. Looking forward to the next round!

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Chromiak cruising? Just 6 points this series, seems to not have found his game so far
He scored tonight, which is the best thing I can say. They will need more out of him next round to advance that is for sure. IMO, he was the weakest of the top 7 forwards (including Ludwinski). Still more games though. :)

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Chromiak cruising? Just 6 points this series, seems to not have found his game so far
Wright and Chromiak were both very confusing this series, was just talking about this with someone on twitter. You look at their stat lines at the end of the series and they were a point per game but they weren't dangerous at all for almost the whole series. Ludwinski and Wisdom were by far the 2 best Fronts in this series

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
If Kingston wants to win Round 2, they REALLY have to clean up their 3rd periods. Too many goals in the third going the other way.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Need to get off to a good start tonight and hopefully can take 1 up north. It's been ages since NB came to Kingston (Nov 26th) so I went back through the box scores to refresh myself (am gonna watch the highlights later today) but the main thing that stuck out strictly based off the box score was the goaltending.

Total of 4 games against NB, Merilainen had a SV% of 0.851, but in those 4 games Vrbetic had a SV% of 0.913. It's not a perfect science without watching the highlights to tell the quality of the chances, but the fact Kingston outshot NB in 3 of 4 games but still went winless tells me Merilainen needs to be closer to the goalie he was against Oshawa.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Need to get off to a good start tonight and hopefully can take 1 up north. It's been ages since NB came to Kingston (Nov 26th) so I went back through the box scores to refresh myself (am gonna watch the highlights later today) but the main thing that stuck out strictly based off the box score was the goaltending.

Total of 4 games against NB, Merilainen had a SV% of 0.851, but in those 4 games Vrbetic had a SV% of 0.913. It's not a perfect science without watching the highlights to tell the quality of the chances, but the fact Kingston outshot NB in 3 of 4 games but still went winless tells me Merilainen needs to be closer to the goalie he was against Oshawa.
I went to the November 5th game and the Fronts badly outplayed them, especially in the first but Merilainen was awful and Vrebetic was outstanding. I seem to recall seeing a terrible goal in the other home game as well (Petrov) that changed the momentum of that game. The team was also quite dinged up for at least one of the two road games there as well.

But, I agree, goaltending will be key and Merilainen needs to play as good as Vrebetic.

I would agree the team needs to get at least one in NB. It will be hard to come back down 2, knowing you have lost all 6 games to that team this season.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Nice to see that the Fronts can actually score more than two goals against North Bay! And another great game by Wisdom and Ludwinski. But, it would be nice if Chromiak showed up in the playoffs. Having a 40 scorer go completely invisible is tough. Glad to see some heart in coming back in the 3rd. Almost tied it up.

I should also add that I think Caputi has done a good job keeping a pulse on the team and the game situations. He’s read well when lines are not working (ie Wright-Chromiak-Edmonds) and was quick to make adjustments that seemed to work much better. IMO, he has done a good job in his rookie season. Not an easy gig being expected to win the Mem Cup in year 1 with a GM that dropped the ball at the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Bit of a weird game, I'd like to have seen Merilainen glove the shot leading to the first goal, but then after that I don't think any of the goals were bad. Refs got the second North Bay goal right, but it wasn't as smooth as it should've been, ref blew the whistle down because he lost sight of the puck as Roger barreled through Merilainen, then they reviewed it and they overturned it.

Good 3rd period, but for some reason it always seems to sting just a little more when the GWG is also an empty better. If they can put together a full 60 like their third tonight I'll be stoked, especially since it's a complete reversal from their 3rds against the Gens.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Caputi spends more time writing in his pad. At one point he missed an icing and was pointing to the wrong side for Shane to take the offensive faceoff. The third turned a little with a good shifts from the fourth line, physical play from #2. Shane has to figure out a way to contribute, less than 50% on draws and seemingly no effort on the backcheck. Hopefully we can start on time on Sunday.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Big win, gets rid of the "winless against NB" tag coming home for 3 and 4. Caputi fully blendered the lines and they came out firing but stuttered bad in period 2.

Murray is solid 99% of the time but the giveaway on the third NB goal was the 1% where he's awful... It was a good play by Wakely to steal but as one of the vets on the blueline I'd like see some better awareness and move the puck a little quicker. I find with Murray he has all the physical tools but he makes the occasional crucial mistake that imo limits his upside.

Merilainen was the other main story - he was amazing when the battalion started to really ramp up the pressure. This seems like its gonna be a good, close series, though the fronts need to put together a full 60.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Took a quick look at ticketmaster and hoo boy is it disappointing... I get it's a Tuesday and the Leafs have a big game but it looks like we might struggle to get to 2500 tonight.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Rough loss on our own turf, but apparently Kyle Jackson has some kind of vendetta against us... Was a good game but Jackson made an amazing defensive play on Chromiak and from there they struggled.

At this point as long as they keep Jackson off the scoreboard on Thurs it'll be a success - I won't be there but the dude is averaging a hat trick per game at the Leon's centre this year - there's no way he can't be a focal point for the coaches

UpwardBoss

Dec 15, 2021
Two things:

1: Need Meriläinen to do better. Can't be giving up goals that frequently, all playoffs.
2: That goal being waved off after 10 minutes was a terrible, terrible call. Watched it back, slowly, multiple times, and no way is that offside.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Need guys to show up, plain and simple. Looks like the team is worn out. Tired and who can blame them, coach can't manage the bench or ice time and has bagged these top 6-7 guys even the last 4-5 games in the regular season when we couldn't move up or down in the standings. They are in great physical shape at this age, but are worn out.

Reactions: Jawk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad