Kings working on an extension with McLellan

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The purpose is to create less work for Blake. No matter what happens this year they’re both back for next year. It’s a package deal for ownership. Even if the entire planet wants Todd gone in 7 months, Dan Beckerman won’t do it unless he’s willing to find BLuc’s replacement at the same time. It’s how you entrench mediocrity $5M at a time.
I’m putting money on it that Luc makes sure nothing sticks to him… even though I think he’s been driving the ‘strategy’ they’ve been following throughput.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just don’t see a purpose to extend him already in the preseason. It’d logically follow to just extend him if he does well and if he doesn’t then you let him walk.
This is common practice for many teams. I hoped it wouldn't happen till there's tangible success, but it makes sense to get it out of the way now.

The offseason is more spent on free agency and the draft. It's wasted time to negotiate a one-year deal with a coach when there are bigger priorities.

If he fails, he can resign. AEG is on the hook for only one year if it fails. McLellan would be incentivized to find employment with another team for a longer-term contract, which would effectively nullify his contract with the Kings.

It being one year actually shows what a short leash McLellan has. I just hope that similar expectations are put on the other executives.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I think the timing of this announcement shows how little accountability there is throughout the Kings org right now.

We've heard rumblings and rumors of this extension for a few weeks now, Kaliev gets suspended and the Kings are forced to start the season shorthanded. We should all be discussing that, the LA media should be discussing that...

Instead the extension is made official and now we can all discuss that. No, no, don't think about the consequences of Blake's piss poor cap management. Shiny new contract for Todd. All is well.

Reactions: psych3man

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This is common practice for many teams. I hoped it wouldn't happen till there's tangible success, but it makes sense to get it out of the way now.

The offseason is more spent on free agency and the draft. It's wasted time to negotiate a one-year deal with a coach when there are bigger priorities.

If he fails, he can resign. AEG is on the hook for only one year if it fails. McLellan would be incentivized to find employment with another team for a longer-term contract, which would effectively nullify his contract with the Kings.

It being one year actually shows what a short leash McLellan has. I just hope that similar expectations are put on the other executives.
Idk I just find the bolded weird because I think playoff teams biggest factors can be coaching. especially with how poor his record is in the playoffs with the Kings you’d expect that to be a bigger factor than roster management Imo since the roster is pretty much locked.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
He should have been fired the moment the ink dried on his first contract, anything beyond that is overkill... a 1 year extension is overkilling the overkill of the original overkill overkilled

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's funny is it wasn't just that it was a hurry to get it done--what's funny is it was done earlier this summer right after that godawful chokefest coaching performance vs. Edmonton. imagine watching that performance and saying 'whoa yeah don't want this guy to feel bad or like a lame duck, let's sign an extension QUICKLY"

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What's funny is it wasn't just that it was a hurry to get it done--what's funny is it was done earlier this summer right after that godawful chokefest coaching performance vs. Edmonton. imagine watching that performance and saying 'whoa yeah don't want this guy to feel bad or like a lame duck, let's sign an extension QUICKLY"
RJ is still upset they haven't called him yet to work behind the bench.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The national broadcast announcers and panel were ripping him at times during the playoffs.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
From the Athletic, story on Talbot:

>>Talbot recalled a chance meeting with McLellan at a modest restaurant inside a Calgary mall after both had moved on from the Oilers. “I was sitting there having lunch with my family,” he said. “He came over and just gave me a big hug. Said hi to the wife and kids. It was just one of those things.

“He’s one of those coaches that really cares and he wanted the families to be around the dressing room and stuff like that in Edmonton. And my kids were just barely walking around, the size of my pad at that point. He’s big on family. Big on getting to know his players and stuff like that. To me, that goes a long way. It shows that he cares not about just the hockey part but the person part as well. That’s a big part about coming back here and playing under him.”

McLellan is “right at the top of his list” of the coaches he’s played for. The longtime bench boss maintains that coaches can’t keep every player happy, and there will be five or six who don’t feel they received a fair shake from him. It comes with the territory. But he also said it’s important to maintain connections even if paths diverge. Talbot is an example.<<

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
From the Athletic, story on Talbot:

>>Talbot recalled a chance meeting with McLellan at a modest restaurant inside a Calgary mall after both had moved on from the Oilers. “I was sitting there having lunch with my family,” he said. “He came over and just gave me a big hug. Said hi to the wife and kids. It was just one of those things.

“He’s one of those coaches that really cares and he wanted the families to be around the dressing room and stuff like that in Edmonton. And my kids were just barely walking around, the size of my pad at that point. He’s big on family. Big on getting to know his players and stuff like that. To me, that goes a long way. It shows that he cares not about just the hockey part but the person part as well. That’s a big part about coming back here and playing under him.”

McLellan is “right at the top of his list” of the coaches he’s played for. The longtime bench boss maintains that coaches can’t keep every player happy, and there will be five or six who don’t feel they received a fair shake from him. It comes with the territory. But he also said it’s important to maintain connections even if paths diverge. Talbot is an example.<<
I think we pretty much all agree that he seems a great bloke.

Reactions: Schrute farms

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
if they didn't fire him after that series you knew he would be extended,

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
They realized his Xbox controller was broken during that series, batteries were low -- they have safeguards to prevent that going forward to ensure TM has full control of his team's performance.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Probably fair but what's the rush, you know?

And for all the folks saying 'this is normal in the industry' I mean most of the shit the Kings do ISNT like that so I'm a little surprised if that's their reasoning.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Probably fair but what's the rush, you know?

And for all the folks saying 'this is normal in the industry' I mean most of the shit the Kings do ISNT like that so I'm a little surprised if that's their reasoning.
Maybe the people who actually write the checks (not you, not I) actually never had an expectation that the Kings were going to win the cup last year and we're actually very pleased with the performance and achievements of the team. I mean it's either that, or they just love throwing millions of dollars down the garbage, right?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Well deserved.
I think it’s a ‘jury is still out ‘ contract. If it was a ringing endorsement from the organisation he’d have gotten more than a year, you’d have to think. Especially given we certainly aren’t yet legitimate contenders (although stranger things have happened).

Reactions: King'sPawn

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Maybe the people who actually write the checks (not you, not I) actually never had an expectation that the Kings were going to win the cup last year and we're actually very pleased with the performance and achievements of the team. I mean it's either that, or they just love throwing millions of dollars down the garbage, right?
If that were the case, why just a one year extension? It seems more like a prove it type situation and align his deal up with Blake.
I guess it's possible that TM only wants to coach one more year and then do something else. Ownership wanted a longer deal but TM limited it to one year. Possible but doesn't seem likely. Doubt we'll hear the real story on that...at least anytime soon.

Reactions: Statto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad