kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Oh hell yeah! Can't wait for this extension!! Todd rules, baby

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not surprised given this is how the team operates and if you look at the team as a whole they've definitely gotten better under him from when we started. I would have waited to see how the season unfolds, but I get it from McLellan's point of view he'd want that security.

If its anything more than 2 years I think it would be a mistake. That would match Kopitar's extension and that's basically the window I see this team having.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
like Todd or hate Todd, it’s not good to have lame duck coaches. I bet the extension is for another two years….something the could swallow if they have to move on.

Reactions: David Lunch

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Maybe Blake feels like extending TMac will give him more rope with the owners. "Well, we have to pay this guy if we fire him or not, so we might as well keep them both."

Dude has shown he can't make adjustments in the playoffs. What's the harm in waiting until the end of the season? If it plays out like they last couple of years and you want to rehire him for some stupid reason, you have the leverage to lower his salary. If he wants to bail, so be it. If he coaches them to a championship, great. You will pay more to retain him, but at least it's justified.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah, I thought at first it would be silly to talk of an extension, but one year actually speaks volumes.

Either he delivers and another extension is worked on next year if he does, or he doesn't and he will be forced to step down and the Kings aren't on the hook for a long-term financial commitment.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Holding in my theatrics--I don't understand the rush to get this done. "lame duck" coach doesn't even make sense, if your contract is up next season, it's easy--just like anyone else, PERFORM. I don't get the sob story about how he can't coach worrying about next season.

Reactions: psych3man

bland

Jul 1, 2004
1 year is nothing. Just removes the lame duck tag while still leaving it up to results going forward.

Nothing to see here.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
that's a message sent

better get it done this season or else they're probably both gone

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh no, will anyone think of the poor coaches who don't have a contract for 24-25? How ever will I do my job this year if I don't have a contract for next year?

Will someone please help me understand why this is a thing? I have never heard anyone fall over themselves to make an excuse for a coach like this until now.

It's not like he's brand new to the org or hasn't had a fair shot to establish himself. Do your job and get paid just like anyone else! I feel like Im taking crazy pills.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Its also a potential little bonus to a friend should they have lower than expected results and make a change at years end.

Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't hate TMac and am likely in the top half of the opinion poll for him, but I don't love him either and there are still many things I want to see from him. I don't really see the need for an extension because there is no other way to define the season other than this is make or break. Blake kind of needs to Moneyball him and tell him that he doesn't need an extension to do his job this season. However, it isn't the end of the world if he gets one year, being that the termination will work the same either way and it is not my money being paid out to him if fired.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Oh no, will anyone think of the poor coaches who don't have a contract for 24-25? How ever will I do my job this year if I don't have a contract for next year?

Will someone please help me understand why this is a thing? I have never heard anyone fall over themselves to make an excuse for a coach like this until now.

It's not like he's brand new to the org or hasn't had a fair shot to establish himself. Do your job and get paid just like anyone else! I feel like Im taking crazy pills.
Almost every team does it. It's just expected practice.

GMs also like having future plans in place instead of wasting time with contract negotiations with a coach. After the postseason, there's draft preparation, free agency, and bigger priorities than negotiating with a coach.

Reactions: Choralone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad