Kings working on an extension with McLellan

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
Almost every team does it. It's just expected practice.

GMs also like having future plans in place instead of wasting time with contract negotiations with a coach. After the postseason, there's draft preparation, free agency, and bigger priorities than negotiating with a coach.
Yes. This is pretty much SOP for any sport.
For coaches and GMS.

Reactions: King'sPawn

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
One year is fine. I'm happy with it. I'm glad it's not a long term deal.

I'm a bit surprised Todd took it.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
1696567771813.gif

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
yeah I agree 1 year is fine, surprised he went with a 1 year extension. Blake and McLellan betting on themselves, its a gamble for both.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why extend him already when he has one year left? If he goes past the first round then sign him, if he doesn’t don’t.

Blake is Pejorative Slured bruh

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Why extend him already when he has one year left? If he goes past the first round then sign him, if he doesn’t don’t.

Blake is Pejorative Slured bruh
Disagree. If he’s only given a year it’s effectively ’put up or shut up’. I’d wait if it were longer term but this is fine. If he isn’t prepared to give him a year extension, so he’s not a lame duck, then he should just fire him now (which is a separate discussion as we know that won’t happen).

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I understand not wanting a lame duck coach for college sports because of recruiting during the season, but recruiting during the season is called tampering in pro sports.

I wonder if the 1 year is because of Blake or ownership only allowing it to be a single year. One suggests Blake will fire TMac in the spring if the Kings don't meet expectations while the other suggests Blake and TMac will be fired in the spring if the Kings don't meet expectations.

Reactions: Telos and Statto

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It sounds like the one-year deal is done. Most coaches are fired with term. In the end, it doesn't really change anything. It is sort of a favor from Blake that if TMac gets fired he gets a severance or he is assured to at least be able to renegotiate another deal next season if this season is deemed successful.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
We’ve heard the term, what’s the salary? I doubt he’s coming back for less, which was rumored to be $5M. And we know Blake loves to overpay for promise.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Disagree. If he’s only given a year it’s effectively ’put up or shut up’. I’d wait if it were longer term but this is fine. If he isn’t prepared to give him a year extension, so he’s not a lame duck, then he should just fire him now (which is a separate discussion as we know that won’t happen).
I just don’t see a purpose to extend him already in the preseason. It’d logically follow to just extend him if he does well and if he doesn’t then you let him walk.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I just don’t see a purpose to extend him already in the preseason. It’d logically follow to just extend him if he does well and if he doesn’t then you let him walk.
Fair enough. I understand where you are coming from I just don’t think it’s a big issue as if he gets it wrong this year he’s gone regardless. The extension probably ties Blake’s fate to him though, which you’ll probably like.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Fair enough. I understand where you are coming from I just don’t think it’s a big issue as if he gets it wrong this year he’s gone regardless. The extension probably ties Blake’s fate to him though, which you’ll probably like.
this is what I think of the situation of Todd and Robby.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
The purpose is to create less work for Blake. No matter what happens this year they’re both back for next year. It’s a package deal for ownership. Even if the entire planet wants Todd gone in 7 months, Dan Beckerman won’t do it unless he’s willing to find BLuc’s replacement at the same time. It’s how you entrench mediocrity $5M at a time.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The purpose is to create less work for Blake. No matter what happens this year they’re both back for next year. It’s a package deal for ownership. Even if the entire planet wants Todd gone in 7 months, Dan Beckerman won’t do it unless he’s willing to find BLuc’s replacement at the same time. It’s how you entrench mediocrity $5M at a time.
So you’re basically saying Blake is making it easier on himself but forgoing the needs of the team.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't understand the mindset of a coach being the last year of his deal being a "lame duck coach" seems like the NHLPA has made it so anything the coach could have done that would make him a lame duck is no longer really an impact. Just seems really out dated.

The fact he only got a 1 year extension means he is far from safe, but if he gets canned will get a nice parting gift.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't understand the mindset of a coach being the last year of his deal being a "lame duck coach" seems like the NHLPA has made it so anything the coach could have done that would make him a lame duck is no longer really an impact. Just seems really out dated.

The fact he only got a 1 year extension means he is far from safe, but if he gets canned will get a nice parting gift.
A nice parting gift only to Tmac and a big f*** you to the team he’s been shafting is a better summation.

Reactions: psych3man

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
So you’re basically saying Blake is making it easier on himself but forgoing the needs of the team.

Name one company that would pay Rob Blake to be an executive other than the LA Kings.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Another consequence of this is that in the event that Todd is canned after this year he'll presumably still be one of the highest paid coaches in the league for 2024-25 so ownership won't be jumping to pony up big money to bring in a replacement. So say hello to Head Coach Marco Sturm everybody!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad