Post-Game Talk: Kings win 4-1

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Copp is getting valuable experience against NHL competition and he's performing well. I think it's more valuable to him, and better for the Jets in the short and long run to have Copp on the team. I could see Petan going down to get more top-3 minutes, because his eventual NHL role won't be 4th line. Raffl would be a good replacement, once healthy.

Agree. Don't see any benefit to Copp playing in the A at the moment. I suppose he could benefit from some time being able to be on a more offensive line (taking Cormier's place on the top line and if Petan was there they might click). At the same time though I don't think his ceiling is likely to be a 1st or 2nd line center, so the experience he's getting in the NHL is fine. His ceiling would be 3rd line center most likely.

Petan either way is fine with me. He'll get some PP time if he stays here likely but definitely would bring more to the Moose if he went down and if he's to get serious NHL icetime in his career it's going to be top two lines. Raffl would fill his spot on the fourth nicely.

Peluso played well, but I'd still rather see Thorbs-Copp-Petan/Raffl than him.

Very late to state this but amazing GDT. I didn't see it until last night as work blocks most of the good stuff in GDTs.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I thought that was a real good game until the gwg. Hell, our 4th line with Peluso on it had 9 minutes of ice time against the kings and spent a fair bit of time at their end of the rink! And they weren't on the ice for the game winner...that was by far Peluso's best game in ages. I was really mostly hoping to at least make it to OT. I figured if anyone scored in the 3rd it would probably be the game and I knew it would likely be LA that would do it.

Peluso was good, AND you didn't see any Kings taking cheap shots at our guys.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Correlation != causation. It's quite possible that they wouldn't have taken cheap shots even if Petan were on the ice instead of Peluso. Given that that didn't happen, we'll never know.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Great game last night. Got to get those early goals and not let teams like the Kings hang around. One mistake and that was that.

I thought the 4th line was pretty good and a couple of good chances to score. I didn't see them get bottled in there own end much at all.

I thought Scheifs line struggled as the game went a long.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
In spite of the loss I like how the Jets played their game : high speed and intensity, smart plays with multiple scoring opportunities. I like Ehler, in spite of the goal posts he has a good eye for scoring, he's our needed sniper come playoff time.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
That one stings. To be so razor close and have nothing to show for it. Very entertaining game to watch though.

Initially I was angry at Pavelec but it was just an unlucky play that ended badly. That game was a clutch and grab-fest by the end, just no space whatsoever.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

yeah well I don't buy all that enforcer garbage. I would prefer if Peluso is in then Thorburn be out. But the 4th line wasn't an issue last night...

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
First live game for me this season. Take aways. Stu and troubadour need to be split apart. Chairot was shakey at the beginning but gained confidence throughout the game. EHLERS was a beast. The kid is unreal live.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Pretty good game overall, both teams had their chances.

Just goes to show the razor thin margin of error in the NHL. Wheeler doesn't go for the puck or take Toffoli off the draw, and Myers decides to pinch and it's a 2 on 1 and the puck is in the net.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Pretty good game overall, both teams had their chances.

Just goes to show the razor thin margin of error in the NHL. Wheeler doesn't go for the puck or take Toffoli off the draw, and Myers decides to pinch and it's a 2 on 1 and the puck is in the net.

That was a very puzzling play- Wheeler leaves his winger and we drop a Dman plus lose the draw. Pretty high risk in tie game especially when our faceoff % wasn't very good. That being said - guess you gotta try something :huh

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That was a very puzzling play- Wheeler leaves his winger and we drop a Dman plus lose the draw. Pretty high risk in tie game especially when our faceoff % wasn't very good. That being said - guess you gotta try something :huh

Little won the draw actually. Maurice said it was a faceoff set play we tried.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Copp is getting valuable experience against NHL competition and he's performing well. I think it's more valuable to him, and better for the Jets in the short and long run to have Copp on the team. I could see Petan going down to get more top-3 minutes, because his eventual NHL role won't be 4th line. Raffl would be a good replacement, once healthy.

Disagree, with the lack of minutes Copp gets it hurts any offensive part of his game that he might have, guy could be playing 20+ minutes a game in the AHL for 40 games and would return to the Jets better for it. How can any player like Copp or Petan get anything out of 5 minutes of icetime! Guys like Thorburn or Peluso aren't going to get any better regardless of their icetime.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Little won the draw actually. Maurice said it was a faceoff set play we tried.

I know it was a set play. Well now I am really confused....why draw the puck back to Myers if we are not taking the man on the circle- both Wheeler and Little let their men go.
Whatever... it obviously backfired

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Good game to watch, but a disappointing outcome. Oh well. At least we can't complain about the reffing for once.

I've gotta say, all the comments that start with "I'm not blaming Pavs for the 2nd goal, but.." and then go on to blame him for the goal, are highly amusing. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Overall I was really impressed with yesterday's effort. We lost on a broken play so not worried about anything. On to Chicago.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Good game to watch, but a disappointing outcome. Oh well. At least we can't complain about the reffing for once.

I've gotta say, all the comments that start with "I'm not blaming Pavs for the 2nd goal, but.." and then go on to blame him for the goal, are highly amusing. [mod]

wasn't that Toffoli with the puck? You gotta play that shooter, which I think is what Pavs did. and then hope the back door play doesn't happen, due to good defence or missed opportunity by the Kings. not sure what the better play is, because Toffoli can score.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
May be just me, but teams like the Kings seem to be too hard to handle for Little, Scheifele, Myers and Enstrom. They work hard but have a really tough time in these games, imo.

Having Buff with Toby helps, but playing Buff too many minutes is problematic as well, imo. His questionable pinches and roving style can get exposed with too many 5v5 minutes, if that trend continues.

More physical guys like Lowry, Burmi and Buff seem to get up for these physical games, and play an effective physical game.

Would still love to get a big strong Center that has skill to generate offense and points but can also play a 'heavy' game when needed. I'd take a winger with size and skill too. We seem to have speed and skill in the prospect ranks but not size and skill.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
May be just me, but teams like the Kings seem to be too hard to handle for Little, Scheifele, Myers and Enstrom. They work hard but have a really tough time in these games, imo.

Having Buff with Toby helps, but playing Buff too many minutes is problematic as well, imo. His questionable pinches and roving style can get exposed with too many 5v5 minutes, if that trend continues.

More physical guys like Lowry, Burmi and Buff seem to get up for these physical games, and play an effective physical game.

Would still love to get a big strong Center that has skill to generate offense and points but can also play a 'heavy' game when needed. I'd take a winger with size and skill too. We seem to have speed and skill in the prospect ranks but not size and skill.

I thought those smaller guys were handling themselves ok for the first 40 minutes but the Jets came out flat for the 3rd...

The real problem with Byfuglien-Enstrom is that it means we end up with Chiarot-Myers, which has been disastrous.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I thought those smaller guys were handling themselves ok for the first 40 minutes but the Jets came out flat for the 3rd...

The real problem with Byfuglien-Enstrom is that it means we end up with Chiarot-Myers, which has been disastrous.

No kidding. Anyone watching that game yesterday who thinks we needed less Buff and more Myers-Chiarot or Stuart-Trouba doesn't have a clue.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
A little weary of being the 'aw shucks nice effort but we lost a close one to a good team, be proud!' fan-base. We're perennial underdogs to the perennial 'elite'.

I want to be a member of the 'we're contenders and every other team should be afraid whenever we come up on their schedule' fan-base. We'll get there someday. 2019 I guess.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
A little weary of being the 'aw shucks nice effort but we lost a close one to a good team, be proud!' fan-base. We're perennial underdogs to the perennial 'elite'.

I want to be a member of the 'we're contenders and every other team should be afraid whenever we come up on their schedule' fan-base. We'll get there someday. 2019 I guess.

No you don't. Trust me. It's much more fun to win the Cup as the Underdog since no one expects it.

Once you win, people just start taking gratuitous shots at you.

Just seems to me like you're one or two d-men away. We had Scuderi and Mitchell help us get over the hump. Not just for their play, but someone needed to babysit Doughty, Muzzin, and Martinez while they were Trouba's age...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

You know, you just made me realize that I fall into the 'aw shucks' crowd. It would be nicer to be in the 'elite' crowd.

On the plus side, I think we are getting closer!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad