Kings who could be traded this summer

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ok, can I suggest another 3-team deal? Who says no? And don't hold back cause I'm not a GM and won't take it personally.

Boston - LA - Arizona

Boston gets: 2023 2nd and 3rd from ARZ; 2023 4th & Fagemo from LA; gains +4m cap space

LA gets: Vejmelka, gains +2.975 cap space

Arizona gets: DeBrusk and Swayman from BOS; Iafallo & Durzi from LA; loses -9.7m cap space (+ whatever Swayman gets)

(And to make it easier to look at)

Boston gives: DeBrusk, Swayman
LA gives: Iafallo, Durzi, 2023 4th
Arizona gives: Vejmelka, 2023 2nd, 2023 3rd

Boston gets a young, NHL-ready forward on a cheap contract and 3 draft picks.
LA gets a goalie and flexibility.
Arizona gets 4 quality players that, IMO, greatly improve the overall team.

While shedding these salaries helps Bos & LA, they aren't true cap dumps as all four are still very valuable players.

Thoughts?
Why would we want Vejmelka?

21-22 52gp 3.68gaa .898sv%
22-23 50gp 3.41gaa .900sv%

Career: 102gp 3.54gaa .899sv%

Reactions: lumbergh

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Ok, the issue is Center. Regular season doesn't matter. King's can probably qualify for the playoffs with Lizotte at 3C. Run an experiment this year. Fall back on Lizotte if it goes bad & get a rental at the deadline. Kopi's contract will be up & there will be more flexibility with the cap.

Byfield, Kopi, Kempe
Moore, Danault, Kaliyev
Fiala, Vilardi, Iafallo
Grundström, Lizotte, Kupari
Fagemo, JAD

Move Arvidsson out. This gives about 7 million to bring in a goalie & sign Vilardi. Can always do the cheap one year contract followed by the immediate extension with Vilardi if the King's land an expensive goalie.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ok, the issue is Center
This should be pinned to the top of the board.

I think some Kings fans really sleep on the fact that Kopitar is a threat to fall off at anytime. I'm not suggesting it could happen, heck maybe he will be the NHL's Tom Brady, but it's definitely within a reasonable range of outcomes that he isn't the same old Kopitar. He is 36 years old with 1400 NHL games under his belt.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think some Kings fans really sleep on, is the fact that Kopitar is a threat to fall off at anytime. I'm not suggesting it could happen, heck maybe he will be the NHL's Tom Brady, but it's definitely within a reasonable range of outcomes. He is 36 years old with 1400 NHL games under his belt.

I think if nothing else it's unfair to him to project him as the all situations 1C getting 22 minutes a game. Every year he does it form here on out is a minor miracle, and you can see it chipping away at his effectiveness when he gets monster minutes.

Like sure I think he'll still be an effective player even at 38 but to pencil him into that slot year after year is malpractice...oh, that's par for the course right now.

I almost died laughing when Hrenak departed earlier today. That leaves our goaltending pipeline at Copley, Portillo, Villalta, maybe Ingham? After how many years, Blake?

Our LHD pipeline is lockdown Anderson, Gavrikov for probably only 2 years....Toby who they won't play, i'm fully resigned to the idea that Durzi is our 3LD to start the year. And then what, Moverare who they won't give time, Connauton who they might play since he's elderly, and Nousiainen.

Somehow, while drafting ONLY centers, this late into Blake's career we are going into a season with an aging Kopitar, Danault, Lizotte as our centers while all the picks languish either at wing or in the minors. Seriously, how do you draft/acquire Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, JAD, Thomas, Helenius, Madden and 6 years later your centers are the above?

This is an absolute f***ing mess and Blake is basically out of assets to fix it.

But hey, at least we're bleeding middle six wingers and RHD.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think if nothing else it's unfair to him to project him as the all situations 1C getting 22 minutes a game. Every year he does it form here on out is a minor miracle, and you can see it chipping away at his effectiveness when he gets monster minutes.

Like sure I think he'll still be an effective player even at 38 but to pencil him into that slot year after year is malpractice...oh, that's par for the course right now.

I almost died laughing when Hrenak departed earlier today. That leaves our goaltending pipeline at Copley, Portillo, Villalta, maybe Ingham? After how many years, Blake?

Our LHD pipeline is lockdown Anderson, Gavrikov for probably only 2 years....Toby who they won't play, i'm fully resigned to the idea that Durzi is our 3LD to start the year. And then what, Moverare who they won't give time, Connauton who they might play since he's elderly, and Nousiainen.

Somehow, while drafting ONLY centers, this late into Blake's career we are going into a season with an aging Kopitar, Danault, Lizotte as our centers while all the picks languish either at wing or in the minors. Seriously, how do you draft/acquire Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, JAD, Thomas, Helenius, Madden and 6 years later your centers are the above?

This is an absolute f***ing mess and Blake is basically out of assets to fix it.

Imagine telling someone in 2017 when Blake took over that the team would draft centers #2, #5, #11, #18 overall in the next four drafts. And then telling them that in the 2023 playoffs only one of those players was playing center in the NHL (the guy taken #18 who was centering the 4th line).

The inability to come close to replacing Kopitar by now is the biggest failure of the Blake era, and honestly even pre-dates it (going back to the Barzal for Lucic trade). The Kings drafted Kopitar in 2005 and have not been able to draft or trade for a younger #1 center to take over or ease the load. There were some opportunities,

2015 with Mat Barzal
2017 with Nick Suzuki
2019 with Trevor Zegras
2020 with Tim Stutzle
2021 with Jack Eichel available

It's pretty amazing that they missed on all of these guys, didn't even dumb luck into finding one along the way. We are to centers what the Chicago Bears are to QB's

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Kings need to move Lizotte as he brings little except energy and Moore too before his NMC kicks in! He too is expendable and easily replaced with younger cheaper talent!Ditto for Iafallo!And Roy will be a UFA at seasons end so pull the trigger now and give Spence,Clarke his spot!And at seasons end Doughty gets the boot so as to get something of value back to free up 11 M over the 3 years after and a spot for the RD-men dying to get regular shifts! Kings need full out youth as the League is getting younger,faster and better!The Kings need to keep up and give an opportunity to the Turcotte's,Chromiak's,Madden's,Fagemo's,Spence's, and Clarke's

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Imagine telling someone in 2017 when Blake took over that the team would draft centers #2, #5, #11, #18 overall in the next four drafts. And then telling them that in the 2023 playoffs only one of those players was playing center in the NHL (the guy taken #18 who was centering the 4th line).

The inability to come close to replacing Kopitar by now is the biggest failure of the Blake era, and honestly even pre-dates it (going back to the Barzal for Lucic trade). The Kings drafted Kopitar in 2005 and have not been able to draft or trade for a younger #1 center to take over or ease the load. There were some opportunities,

2015 with Mat Barzal
2017 with Nick Suzuki
2019 with Trevor Zegras
2020 with Tim Stutzle

It's pretty amazing that they missed on all of these guys, didn't even dumb luck into finding one along the way. We are to centers what the Chicago Bears are to QB's
Kings didn't have a first rounder in 2015 so had no chance at Barzal as for the rest yes they missed on Suzuki(Vilardi),Zegras(Turcotte),Strudel(Byfield) and Eichel? As for why the Kings choose Byfield over Strudel maybe it was the awesome size Quinton has or the potential! He's 21 and has a little time left to put it together! As for Turcotte he just can't seem to stay in the line up in Ontario where he's a sitting duck from the Hasbeens and neverwillbe's!I guess Turcotte should have stayed in College another year and probably two...bad advice from his agent! I'm sure GrandFather Real Turcotte was trying to convince him to stay and develop in College but...and Vilardi has started to look like a goal scorer,will he hit 30-40 goals? Not sure but he needs to get stronger and stay strong throughout the year to fight off the wear and tear and injuries

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Hrenak and Parik gone nice move!Oh well the Kings can afford to shit draft choices and not develop players properly cause they have a "Star Studded lineup"! Guess they should have kept half their roster in Ontario in Europe where they would have been served better! Some heads need to roll and Blake is on his last life I believe! Hope the Finnish kids Simontaival and Jamsen see how bad of a shit-show it is in LA and Ontario and stay bloody well put and play another year or two in SM-Liiga before coming over to play in the NHL and not the minor Leagues

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

2015 with Mat Barzal
2017 with Nick Suzuki
2019 with Trevor Zegras
2020 with Tim Stutzle

Kopitar can easily be replaced by what we have.
It's just that those kids are 20 years old and have to fill their bodies.
If we would be serious about the rebuild we would have Byfield and Kupari #1 and #2 center but for any reason the ownership prefers a veteran reunion fantasy playoff run without any chance of success.

We would have to sacrifice the results of 2 years from now to get Byfield and Kupari up to task.
Despite this is the right thing to do, this is out of the question so we keep being pressed against the cap by a core that is done since 5 years and lose one youngster after another in desperate trades or free agency

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I ask myself if i was a young up and coming hockey player, would i want to play for the kings under the present regime/conditions? The answer is an loud OHHELLNO.
We're turning into hockey Siberia again.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

I think some Kings fans really sleep on the fact that Kopitar is a threat to fall off at anytime. I'm not suggesting it could happen, heck maybe he will be the NHL's Tom Brady, but it's definitely within a reasonable range of outcomes that he isn't the same old Kopitar. He is 36 years old with 1400 NHL games under his belt.

Joe Thorntons Career stats may be apt comparison...

1686340482971.png

Kopi

1686340588595.png

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Kings didn't have a first rounder in 2015 so had no chance at Barzal as for the rest yes they missed on Suzuki(Vilardi),Zegras(Turcotte),Strudel(Byfield) and Eichel? As for why the Kings choose Byfield over Strudel maybe it was the awesome size Quinton has or the potential! He's 21 and has a little time left to put it together! As for Turcotte he just can't seem to stay in the line up in Ontario where he's a sitting duck from the Hasbeens and neverwillbe's!I guess Turcotte should have stayed in College another year and probably two...bad advice from his agent! I'm sure GrandFather Real Turcotte was trying to convince him to stay and develop in College but...and Vilardi has started to look like a goal scorer,will he hit 30-40 goals? Not sure but he needs to get stronger and stay strong throughout the year to fight off the wear and tear and injuries

Oh but we did. We traded it for "big, strong, tough" Milan Lucic.

Missed out on the playoffs that year. Missed out on some great, great talent that draft.

Reactions: Herby

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Why would we want Vejmelka?

21-22 52gp 3.68gaa .898sv%
22-23 50gp 3.41gaa .900sv%

Career: 102gp 3.54gaa .899sv%
I like Vejmelka and am curious how he would do behind a better team. Wasn't he a top 5 guy in high danger save percentage or something? Don't follow advance stats too close but thought i heard that.

That said the cost would have to be pretty low.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Vejmelka is a big 'potential' guy but i never thought the gamble was worth even close to the rumored ask

not really the type of thing we need, another enigma

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Kings didn't have a first rounder in 2015 so had no chance at Barzal as for the rest yes they missed on Suzuki(Vilardi),Zegras(Turcotte),Strudel(Byfield) and Eichel? As for why the Kings choose Byfield over Strudel maybe it was the awesome size Quinton has or the potential! He's 21 and has a little time left to put it together!

You must have said Strudel like 40 times in that 2020 Byfield / Stutzle thread. You were acting a child throwing a temper tantrum because you suddenly found a new word, kept screaming it at everybody (even Senators fans), but then was perplexed why everyone got tired of your shit. Learn to use your pacifier once in a while.

You can keep telling people to block you but it's clearly evident you continue to make new accounts over and over again. It's getting really tiring around here.

andys said:
Don't want Strudel don't even mention his name its going to be Byfield 110% sure of that!!!As far as a 2nd wave lets be positive and have players training,playing sooner rather that later

andys said:
McKenzie is an idiot and shouldn't be taken seriously...LA will regret taking Strudel if it comes to that...Byfield is the best player besides Lafreniere with Rossi given consideration

Ray Martyniuk said:
Don't want Strudel don't even mention his name its going to be Byfield 110% sure of that!!!As far as a 2nd wave lets be positive and have players training,playing sooner rather that later

Ray Martyniuk said:
Please NO STRUDEL!!!

Ray Martyniuk said:
Yes Byfield,no Strudel! I'll be beyond pissed

@tny760 said:
sorry every new poster is officially axl/surfnutz/andys until further notice

Better add RayMartyniuk (both Totems + non-totems) to that list. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

With the Kings not showing much interest in re-signing Korpisalo, I assume they must have their eye on another goalie specifically.

I wonder who it is.

On 32 Thoughts they said there's a lot of goalies out there on the trade market, and much movement is expected.

If you want one of the big fish (Saros, Hellebuyck, Ullmark), you can kiss our 2024 1st round pick good by. That'd be 3 straight years.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

With the Kings not showing much interest in re-signing Korpisalo, I assume they must have their eye on another goalie specifically.

I wonder who it is.

On 32 Thoughts they said there's a lot of goalies out there on the trade market, and much movement is expected.

If you want one of the big fish (Saros, Hellebuyck, Ullmark), you can kiss our 2024 1st round pick good by. That'd be 3 straight years.

I want Hart, but don't think there is another deal to be made between the Flyers and Kings.

Maybe someone still values Turcotte high and he can be used with Durzi?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I want Hart, but don't think there is another deal to be made between the Flyers and Kings.

Maybe someone still values Turcotte high and he can be used with Durzi?
I actually think a 3 team deal between LA, Boston and Chicago could work.

Boston really needs cap space. I suspect the plan is to buyout Reilly and move Ullmark. They like Swayman and Bussi in net. Meanwhile they're short on forwards which is why moving Ullmark makes more sense than moving say Debrusk or Frederic. Kings have cheap excess forwards that need a change of scenery.

Chicago could retain on Ullmark in exchange for a draft pick.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

I wonder who it is.

I wonder if Jarry is an option as a UFA with hiring Buckley as goalie coach

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
still think gabe is priority #2 when it comes to contracts, now that gavrikov's got done they're probably focused on gabe and the goalie will get sorted out last based on cap space

Reactions: kinghock

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
With the stink of Petersen cleared from the air, I’m down to bring Quickie back. He’s going to win the cup as the backup who doesn’t play a single minute in the playoffs. Kopitar will be extremely jealous and begging Blake to trade him at the deadline, and it’s hopefully not a cap dump this time.

So he’ll sign for 1 year at league minimum plus performance bonuses for playing 20 games, just like Edler. Copley’s unspectacular and reliable, so he can give you 40+ starts. I’ll take that price for goalies over Korpisalo’s marginal upside and higher cost vs Quick.

And Kopitar should also sign for 1 year if he gives a shit about this franchise after he hangs them up. Take 1 year, $5.5M and prove you should keep the captaincy for what you led the team to, not your paycheck.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
You must have said Strudel like 40 times in that 2020 Byfield / Stutzle thread. You were acting a child throwing a temper tantrum because you suddenly found a new word, kept screaming it at everybody (even Senators fans), but then was perplexed why everyone got tired of your shit. Learn to use your pacifier once in a while.

You can keep telling people to block you but it's clearly evident you continue to make new accounts over and over again. It's getting really tiring around here.

andys said:

andys said:
McKenzie is an idiot and shouldn't be taken seriously...LA will regret taking Strudel if it comes to that...Byfield is the best player besides Lafreniere with Rossi given consideration

Ray Martyniuk said:

Ray Martyniuk said:
Please NO STRUDEL!!!

Ray Martyniuk said:
Yes Byfield,no Strudel! I'll be beyond pissed

tny760 said:
sorry every new poster is officially axl/surfnutz/andys until further notice

Better add RayMartyniuk (both Totems + non-totems) to that list. :laugh:
Oh well so sad that this offends you somehow

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
With the stink of Petersen cleared from the air, I’m down to bring Quickie back. He’s going to win the cup as the backup who doesn’t play a single minute in the playoffs. Kopitar will be extremely jealous and begging Blake to trade him at the deadline, and it’s hopefully not a cap dump this time.

So he’ll sign for 1 year at league minimum plus performance bonuses for playing 20 games, just like Edler. Copley’s unspectacular and reliable, so he can give you 40+ starts. I’ll take that price for goalies over Korpisalo’s marginal upside and higher cost vs Quick.

And Kopitar should also sign for 1 year if he gives a shit about this franchise after he hangs them up. Take 1 year, $5.5M and prove you should keep the captaincy for what you led the team to, not your paycheck.
Quick was fkn horrible last year, dont be ridiculous. "Lets run back the goalie shitshow from last year" cannot be the plan.

Reactions: funky and johnjm22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad