LeBrun: Kings want 1st-round pick, prospect for Muzzin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Comparing Muzzin to Petry? Ridiculous . Muzzin is being hugely underrated in this thread. $4M cap hit for two playoff runs, for a proven, durable, physical two-way top 4 (I would argue top 2) d-man in his prime. He's played very well on a terrible team, and any team looking to make a run over the next two years should be very interested in getting him.

I like Muzzin a lot but if there's one comparable in the league it's Petry. They don't bring exactly the same but they do play at about the same level which is an excellent #3 that can contribute a lot of different ways. Petry is a tremendous skater whereas Muzzin is a bit more physical and better defensively. But the two compare very well actually.

You gotta understand Bergevin got Petry on the cheap in the trade with the Oilers. Of course Muzzin is worth more than that. I would guess Petry is worth a mid or late 1st rounder right now + decent youngster. I would expect this would be Muzzin's value also.

vid387

Jun 23, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
This is a trade I can’t understand hasn’t been made yet for pens if that’s the real price. He’s not even a rental. 1st plus hallander? And the chance to ship maatta and oleksiak elsewhere to recoup at least some assets? A top four of dumoulin-letang and muzzin-Schultz would be real nice for a year and a half

Reactions: LAKings88

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This is a trade I can’t understand hasn’t been made yet for pens if that’s the real price. He’s not even a rental. 1st plus hallander? And the chance to ship maatta and oleksiak elsewhere to recoup at least some assets? A top four of dumoulin-letang and muzzin-Schultz would be real nice for a year and a half

The contrary view (very unpopular among Kings fans) is that Blake won't trade Muzzin if he is retooling and not rebuilding. Kings are 9-6-1 in their last 16. Is that the "real" Kings team or is it the 11-20-3 team that started the year? That is what management needs to decide. Trading Muzzin commits them to a 5 year rebuild. Keeping him allows the defense to remain at least respectable. I'm still not convinced a total rebuild is the desire of the management team. A lot will ride of their performance over the next month.

Reactions: regulate

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think TB may be the sneaky team here if they want Muzzin.

They have cap space this year, they have Girardi, Stralman, and Coburn all as UFA's next season.

Adding Muzzin for this year and next would fill a lot of holes and also upgrade their D this year. Making that D, probably the deepest in the NHL.

TB's window is right now.

Maybe Foote and a 1st? Price is steep for a cup. But adding Muzzin make TB stronger, covers resigning one of the 3 above in the summer, and keeps him out of the hands of the Leafs and other competitors that need D desperately.

Foote and a 1st....sign me up. I know Tampa's 1st is very late but would be all over this.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Hallander is not the prospect I would want. The prospect is more important than the pick for me.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I doubt it...Tampa fans wouldn't move those pieces for either of McDonagh or Karlsson....i doubt their opinion has changed. I could be wrong though.

So you deny now all trades, not just the Leafs ones.
May i ask what you are looking for in this thread?
We already told you Muzzin will not be had for a 7th rounder plus ECHL crap.
Now when other teams by far outbid you, you are cranky and try to tell us these
offers will be denied even though they have been made by other fanbases than L.A.

Feel free to leave if you don't like it. No other fanbase cares about your opinion.
There is a Tarasenko thread somewhere. Why don't you go there and try 2nd round offers.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
offers will be denied even though they have been made by other fanbases than L.A.

Feel free to leave if you don't like it. No other fanbase cares about your opinion.
There is a Tarasenko thread somewhere. Why don't you go there and try 2nd round offers.

An LA fan made that offer..

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Umm...ok? I don't begrudge anything friend...i hope the Kings get what they are looking for. I was just pointing out Tampa fans didn't offer those guys when dealing with McDonagh/Karlsson.

I am not cranky at all...if Muzzin was a RHD, you'd see me in here making offers.

Reactions: YP44

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
The contrary view (very unpopular among Kings fans) is that Blake won't trade Muzzin if he is retooling and not rebuilding. Kings are 9-6-1 in their last 16. Is that the "real" Kings team or is it the 11-20-3 team that started the year? That is what management needs to decide. Trading Muzzin commits them to a 5 year rebuild. Keeping him allows the defense to remain at least respectable. I'm still not convinced a total rebuild is the desire of the management team. A lot will ride of their performance over the next month.

What if they could get a respectable NHL dman back in a trade so that the back end remains decent during the re-tool? I'm thinking the Jets could part with Kulikov in a Muzzin trade so the Kings aren't left totally exposed. He has essentially the same term and hit as Muzzin but Muzzin is the better player. The way I see it is if you trade Muzzin there are no prospects ready to step in so you're forced into the rebuild or rushing prospects. If you had a stop gap Clague should be ready for top 4 duty in 2 years as the Muzzin/Kulikov contracts expire.

I don't want any part of Muzzin at the price of a 1st + top prospect but if adding in Kulikov could bring the ask down I'd be all over it as the Jets. If that could work it would be worth exploring what the other piece(s) would be.

Looking at the last few pages I see offers for the Lightning, but Muzzin's extra year is somewhat problematic. They'd need to flip him in the offseason to make the cap work so IMO it's not realistic that they'd offer much for him with Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev on the left side already. Also they need Foote's ELC next year so they can't move him in a trade for a rental. He's critical long term to the org. Montreal has some great offers in here (big Ylonen fan) but I thought Bergevin already said he wasn't going after a rental, although with a year remaining technically Muzzin isn't a rental I guess.

Is kulikov+ worth exploring or nah?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Shattenkirk was an impending UFA and he returned Zach Sanford and Brad Malone, a first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft and conditional draft picks. I repeat this was for a impending UFA. Muzzin is signed for next season at a cap friendly number, and he is also a #1 pairing at worst top #2 pairing guy on a contender. I agree Kings are not in the position to accept lowball offers. I think this is just wishful thinking, perhaps delusional thinking.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What if they could get a respectable NHL dman back in a trade so that the back end remains decent during the re-tool? I'm thinking the Jets could part with Kulikov in a Muzzin trade so the Kings aren't left totally exposed. He has essentially the same term and hit as Muzzin but Muzzin is the better player. The way I see it is if you trade Muzzin there are no prospects ready to step in so you're forced into the rebuild or rushing prospects. If you had a stop gap Clague should be ready for top 4 duty in 2 years as the Muzzin/Kulikov contracts expire.

I don't want any part of Muzzin at the price of a 1st + top prospect but if adding in Kulikov could bring the ask down I'd be all over it as the Jets. If that could work it would be worth exploring what the other piece(s) would be.

Looking at the last few pages I see offers for the Lightning, but Muzzin's extra year is somewhat problematic. They'd need to flip him in the offseason to make the cap work so IMO it's not realistic that they'd offer much for him with Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev on the left side already. Also they need Foote's ELC next year so they can't move him in a trade for a rental. He's critical long term to the org. Montreal has some great offers in here (big Ylonen fan) but I thought Bergevin already said he wasn't going after a rental, although with a year remaining technically Muzzin isn't a rental I guess.

I mean if the + was a good Prospect and a first.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

I don't Kulikov holds much interest for LA. If the Kings are trading Muzzin it will have to be for a pretty good package that includes a quality prospect and a 1st or 2nd (depending on prospect). My post merely questioned the wisdom of trading him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I’m surprised this isn’t be talking about more.

Has there been any clear indication of certain teams wanting a top pairing LHD?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Lot's

But its like every year.
The GM's hold back to see what other people are offering just to find themself in a situation
that all GM's were holding back and move into a bidding war at the trade deadline.
Not saying that Muzzin is one of the players creating a bidding war but i also don't exclude it from being possible.

One thing is for sure, those "Halak + 2nd" offer won't cut it at all.
The new version is 1st+Bracco

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Jets might be interested depending on the prospect......time will tell.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
With Muzzin’s extra year on 4m, that would be an amazing add for Winnipeg.

Yes.....depending on the cost though might not be worth it. Reports are multi teams have asked Chevy about Roslovic and were quickly shut down. So it’s fair to say Roslovic is not available.....so if a 1st and one of the prospects below Roslovic level isn’t enough then the Jets smartly wouldn’t be players. Really depends on what the Kings feel are holes they need filled prospect wise and if they have a shine for certain individual prospect or not. Not saying it couldn’t be a 1st, prospect & 3rd/4th rd pick

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Once LA fans stated the pricetag...it quickly cooled down.

In all honesty, i'm surprised more Habs fans weren't interested...they need a LHD.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Once LA fans stated the pricetag...it quickly cooled down.

In all honesty, i'm surprised more Habs fans weren't interested...they need a LHD.

Keep in mind what fans think and what their team accepts is often very different

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Keep in mind what fans think and what their team accepts is often very different
Oh of course, but we are dealing in this thread. I'm all good with kings fans stating a price, it's just higher, it seems, than folks want to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad