GDT: Kings Training Camp 2022/2023!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
A Shit-Show is when there are too few jobs and way too many players vying for said jobs. I guess LA can wait another season or two with most of their prospects. However most of them have nothing to prove in the AHL, so it becomes 12-14 players for 1-2 NHL positions in the not to distant future. And that's not counting the Defense where Walker and Roy are set to become UFA's in less than 2 seasons.

And we can assess that when the time comes. Up until today, the process the Kings have chosen has, as far as we know, cost them nothing.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I agree he has a strong case, but the competition is fierce. Talent wise Lemieux is the odd man out but he brings something different. It’s certainly going to be hard keeping everyone happy.
Different? I beg to differ the Claude,cough Brendan Lemieux of the NHL are all but dead. He does protect lil'Lizotte. As for keeping everyone happy well, winning keeps everyone happy losing will have everyone at each other's throats. Here's to the LA Kings winning and keeping everyone happy

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
After making the Kings and playing quite a few(57) games in the NHL,Kupari was looking good. Liked his speed and the fact he's a Right shooting center. He played all forward positions at some point. Wouldn't want to be the chap to tell he's going back to the Farm

The problem with Kupari is that he doesn't use his size or shot enough. Last night was an example of passing up clean shots and looking pass, only to lose the puck. He just doesn't do anything consistently. I really don't see any future here in LA.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
A Shit-Show is when there are too few jobs and way too many players vying for said jobs.
Would you rather have too many jobs and not enough players vying for jobs? Seems you have things backwards. thankfully we have a lot of depth...and lots of really young guys too. Cup overfloweth is better than an empty cup.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Different? I beg to differ the Claude,cough Brendan Lemieux of the NHL are all but dead. He does protect lil'Lizotte. As for keeping everyone happy well, winning keeps everyone happy losing will have everyone at each other's throats. Here's to the LA Kings winning and keeping everyone happy
Whether you think it’s needed is a separate discussion but the fact is that he brings something the other players on the roster don’t. He fights and agitates. Whilst I wouldn’t use him much they seems to want the option at the very least.

As keeping everyone happy, if Vilardi sits every night and we go 82-0 he will be pissed and there will be something badly wrong if that is not the case. Whoever misses out each night is going to be somewhere between disappointed and aggrieved so they are going to have to manage that carefully.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Blake constructed the roster that TM has to dress Lemieux - that's the issue. The Kings are soft and small on D. If he was to add a tough LHD, they could rotate Lemmy in.

I really think something is going to give with the top 9 - I'm not sure if the Kings rest VA for a few games, send down or sit Byfield....but I have a feeling something else shocking might happen.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's good to know. I didn't watch the game I was watching college football. But are people forgetting the TMc interview where he said he expects to play Byfield 15 to 18 minutes a game? 18 is pie in the sky but he's not going back to Ontario FFS. Ridiculous.

Welp, another year, another catch-22 "we can't play the kids in the playoffs because the kids aren't ready" year after Vilardi is the best player in camp but starts the season a healthy scratch, Kaliyev "we need him to be a top-six forward" gets on the 3rd line if he's lucky, Byfield is left off special teams, and Kupari et. al. hit the AHL.

No, instead we'd better play the best two wingers on the team with a fading Anze Kopitar 25 minutes a game even if he ends up -4.

I pray this is wrong and someone can just bookmark it and shove it up my ass later this year, but at this point, I don't even know if I'm being satirical or not.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If Vilardi is not playing Wednesday i'm going to lose my sh!t. That would be absolutely freaking ridiculous. Guy has won a job. Especially with VA not able to participate from injury most of TC. At the least, you allow VA to rest another 1-2+ games to get his legs and at 100%....and allow GV to enjoy the fruits of his well earned off-season/TC labor.

Even if you have to put him on the 4th line, which would be a horrible decision as well, then fine. But he should be playing Wed. Otherwise trade the dude.

Reactions: Mcsorley47

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Welp, another year, another catch-22 "we can't play the kids in the playoffs because the kids aren't ready" year after Vilardi is the best player in camp but starts the season a healthy scratch, Kaliyev "we need him to be a top-six forward" gets on the 3rd line if he's lucky, Byfield is left off special teams, and Kupari et. al. hit the AHL.

No, instead we'd better play the best two wingers on the team with a fading Anze Kopitar 25 minutes a game even if he ends up -4.

I pray this is wrong and someone can just bookmark it and shove it up my ass later this year, but at this point, I don't even know if I'm being satirical or not.

We'll see what happens after the first five to ten games or so. Blake is going to need to start trading players and/or prospecs regardless. The list of players who are not waiver eligible at the start of next season is nasty.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
But he should be playing Wed. Otherwise trade the dude.

I agree he's earned a spot, but if Arvidsson isn't in the lineup opening night he'll be back in game 2 or 3. When that happens which spot does Gabe take in this top 9?

Fiala – Kopitar – Kempe
Moore – Danault – Arvidsson
Iafallo – Byfield – Kaliyev

It's a good problem for a GM to have at least.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If Vilardi is not playing Wednesday i'm going to lose my sh!t. That would be absolutely freaking ridiculous. Guy has won a job. Especially with VA not able to participate from injury most of TC. At the least, you allow VA to rest another 1-2+ games to get his legs and at 100%....and allow GV to enjoy the fruits of his well earned off-season/TC labor.

Even if you have to put him on the 4th line, which would be a horrible decision as well, then fine. But he should be playing Wed. Otherwise trade the dude.
He’s def not playing Wed…confirmed.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The problem with Kupari is that he doesn't use his size or shot enough. Last night was an example of passing up clean shots and looking pass, only to lose the puck. He just doesn't do anything consistently. I really don't see any future here in LA.
Agreed. They need to tell Rasmus his skill is 1 level below elite and his skating is elite....and he's very good defensively and can play 200 feet in this league, yet he's playing like a 4th line, system guy and looking too much to pass, or not make a mistake.

So what's missing his a killer instinct and needs to go full throttle 200 feet. He needs to be physical and
shoot more than pass...he probably has the second best backhand snipe shot on the Kings, after Fiala.
He should go to Ontario and dominate....once an injury occurs, he should be first callup and be ready.

He needs to watch hours of: Mackinnon, Matthews and McDavid and play like that...starting now in Ontario.
Not that he's that level, but he needs to take the game in control like that and not just be looking to be part of a system...but use his skill and speed to elevate his game.

Reactions: kinghock

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I think Moverare would have made a fine 7th defenseman - he's not dynamic but nice and steady. Longer-term, I'd rather have him in that role getting sporadic playing time than a more highly-regarded prospect. We'll see how it shakes out as the season progresses.

I was really hoping Kupari would stay up - I think this could be his break-out year. But it's hard to argue with what Gabe Villardi has done, and I'm really hoping Villardi capitalizes on his great pre-season and becomes a permanent NHL player.

Reactions: kinghock

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I think Moverare would have made a fine 7th defenseman - he's not dynamic but nice and steady. Longer-term, I'd rather have him in that role getting sporadic playing time than a more highly-regarded prospect. We'll see how it shakes out as the season progresses.

I was really hoping Kupari would stay up - I think this could be his break-out year. But it's hard to argue with what Gabe Villardi has done, and I'm really hoping Villardi capitalizes on his great pre-season and becomes a permanent NHL player.
Sorta a weird decision because he's a 15 years younger version of Alex Edler. Would've liked to have given him a better opportunity here.

Reactions: Choralone

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I'm a little confused on the move.

I predicted everything as it stands except the Moverare move.

Clarke has no spot in the Kings top 6 D right now, so it's basically 9 games and then back to Junior.

Unless, Rob Blake and co are using this as the move to sneak Moverare thru waivers, thinking that if he was the #7 this year, there might be a time when they waive him (Kings call up someone from the AHL or add a LHD thru waivers or trade) and then someone can pick him up because instead of the rosters almost being set and 50 players available today, he might be the only one...

Besides that the move baffles me - he would have been a perfect #7.

But, if a player passes thru waivers, he does not have to do so again? I believe that is the rule...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Clarke has no spot in the Kings top 6 D right now, so it's basically 9 games and then back to Junior.

Unless, Rob Blake and co are using this as the move to sneak Moverare thru waivers, thinking that if he was the #7 this year, there might be a time when they waive him (Kings call up someone from the AHL or add a LHD thru waivers or trade) and then someone can pick him up because instead of the rosters almost being set and 50 players available today, he might be the only one...

But, if a player passes thru waivers, he does not have to do so again? I believe that is the rule...
If a player passes through waivers and called up, I believe the player has to go through waivers again after 10 games (or 30 days).

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

The contract for Moverare pays him 325k & 775k in the minors over the next 2 years. It would appear Moverare was offered this contract to prevent teams from picking him up on waivers. Also makes it look like Blake had considered the possibility of waiving Moverare.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
So I was off the grid this weekend camping, did we make our final roster decisions?

I can't find any articles about any final roster moves from this weekend. Is that all expected to come today?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Whether you think it’s needed is a separate discussion but the fact is that he brings something the other players on the roster don’t. He fights and agitates. Whilst I wouldn’t use him much they seems to want the option at the very least.

As keeping everyone happy, if Vilardi sits every night and we go 82-0 he will be pissed and there will be something badly wrong if that is not the case. Whoever misses out each night is going to be somewhere between disappointed and aggrieved so they are going to have to manage that carefully.
Before Lemieux was hurt last year, he was one of the more effective players on the team. He even potted a few key goals during a stretch and has shown a lot of chemistry with Lizotte. I have zero concerns with the 4th line. It is one of the best this team has had. My concerns are most centered around getting Vilardi and Clarke some meaningful playing time on the team this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad