Kings to move to a singular broadcast team with Nick Nickson, Jim Fox, and Darryl Evans.

Jun 30, 2006
Correct me if I’m wrong but if it was a numbers game, wouldn’t Jim Fox have been canned given his length of tenure? Have to assume Jim makes more $$$.

I don’t buy the narrative, just seems like the Kings are a country club and Faust was never in it.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Correct me if I’m wrong but if it was a numbers game, wouldn’t Jim Fox have been canned given his length of tenure? Have to assume Jim makes more $$$.

I don’t buy the narrative, just seems like the Kings are a country club and Faust was never in it.
Or how about Faust sucks and they finally realized it?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I’m not saying he wasn’t sucking but Luc & Co. tabbed this guy to replace Bob and be with the Kings for decades, not 5 years. Just an odd explanation to me.
Majority of people here didn’t like Faust - I assume that’s a decent representation of the fanbase. They gave the guy opportunity and time to gel with the fanbase, it never happened. Not going to stick with a guy for decades that the fans don’t like…

Reactions: Faterson

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I like Faust, and he was real good on the national broadcast too. I think it was more a chemistry issue with Fox that didn't work and caused very uneven broadcasts at times. As someone pointed out, they should've just moved on from Fox when Bob retired, and added a new team. Faust was probably looking to get paid too, so why pay him more when you can consolidate all the teams into one. I see it as a step backwards, I've always liked Nicksons call, but he isn;t getting any younger.

Reactions: lumbergh

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

Same. I get the Bally's context and it's certainly part of the equation, but the bottom line is the other three are keeping a job and Faust isn't. Seems like there's more to it. I agree he'll be fine going forward.
You can put Fox and Evans on the same broadcast team, you can't do that with Faust and Nickson. Considering the plan is to combine radio and TV into a single broadcast, it was either fire Nickson or not re-sign Faust, not Fox vs Faust

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
lot of folks around here called it too, this was just a stepping stone to a national assignment for him, i imagine that's where he's headed

For sure thats where he's going. They had him calling 6 games a week during our own series, then most of the 2nd round games. Funny how a different guy next to him in the booth changed the listening dynamic.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
About f**king time. Except damnit we still have fox. But so excited we will finally hear Nick and Daryl.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
You can put Fox and Evans on the same broadcast team, you can't do that with Faust and Nickson. Considering the plan is to combine radio and TV into a single broadcast, it was either fire Nickson or not re-sign Faust, not Fox vs Faust
Also. Pulling a dodgers when scully did both tv and radio. (

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
6 years too late. Shoulda been this way since Bob retired. At least it's now corrected, although I do feel Robbed of 6 years because those TV calls were forced, awkward, and were literally turned into sideshows. These were the darkest years of Kings hockey on TV.

Often times, it is our expectations that are really at fault. It's not Alex's fault he didn't know anything about hockey. The pre-requisites should have been good annunciation, good voice AND at minimum - intermediate knowledge of the sport, hockey. Alex only had 2 of these things. It's really the Kings fault for choosing him.

These aren't serious people running the organ-eye-zation.

If Alex Faust has enough pbp chops to get by in hockey, he is going to have them for basketball (his true love- you could certainly hear that in his call), baseball, football, tennis and golf. He could very well become this generation's Bob Costas.

And for this reason alone, Alex was never going to be "ours"

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Sure seems like more of a cost cutting move especially factoring in the TV deal situation; rather than the Kings organization making this move for the betterment of the Kings fans & their broadcasting teams.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Sure seems like more of a cost cutting move especially factoring in the TV deal situation; rather than the Kings organization making this move for the betterment of the Kings fans & their broadcasting teams.
Moeller's statement that Helene tweeted pretty much says it's because of the TV situation

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Neither hated nor loved Faust. But he and Fox together were not the best combo. Love Fox for the most part, but he still gets his take out by almost hyperventilating. It's like he's trying to get as many words out as possible, as the play ensues as Faust is trying to call the play.

I think Stoll would be great as the color guy...but then I would not like Army and Bathe being the between periods team. Army always has bizarre interjections, that are word salads that have nothing to do with the game.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Maybe I’m in the minority but I still get annoyed at Fox completely upstaging and ruining Bob’s call on the Martinez cup winner.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Might make Fox better too. He seemed to try to take on some kind of weird little elder statesman of the TV booth role after Miller left, and the color guy isn't supposed to be that guy. For that short time when the Kings were doing the guest announcer thing, Fox was fine.

Cost cutting, some grand plan, the Kings not knowing what they're doing, whatever, I just like Nickson.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Do you ever think that you are looking too far in to it and three were still under contract and one wasn't? I would have to imagine that one of Jim or Darryl will be gone when their contracts are up.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I know one thing...I have a better chance of winning the lottery, than hearing a King announcer from this point on....saying the term "rag the puck"....and I do not even buy lotto tickets. I think today, I should buy a few.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
FWIW fox's obvious bias destroys any objectivity in commentary. i've never liked his stuff even when bob was doing the pbp. semi arrogant. i also notice notice that when he has on air spots with players he's played with or played in his era, they treat him kinda like a curious little weirdo.
as far as faust, i thought he was ok considering what we could have wound up with like the colorado guy or lisa hextall.
as i live out of the area, its my great hope espn doesnt run thier broadcast into the ground. with college football espn will use college interns and the university's cine equipment with the predictable broadcast results. appearently they buy these huge rights deals and then broadcast near unwatchable garbage quality product. stephen a smith nhl expert eh?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Moeller's statement that Helene tweeted pretty much says it's because of the TV situation
Whether that is the catalyst or the excuse -- either way, it goes hand-in-hand with cost cutting.
I'm not saying they are wrong in doing so. If there is redundancy in the business operations/admin, then it's the right move to cut the unused fat. I don't know if that's the case or not (it's entirely possible that they are using the TV situation to save money).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad