Kings to move to a singular broadcast team with Nick Nickson, Jim Fox, and Darryl Evans.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Some good articles @Sol you especially might like these

I would not be suprised see an NHL/MLB partnership with the MLB being the tech behind the NHL streaming it's games
Didn't MLB and the NHL have some sort of collaboration in the past with website structure or something like that?

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
twitch.tv/lakings. The new exclusive broadcast partner of your LA Kings!
can i just turn a web camera on my TV here and do a teams call?

Didn't MLB and the NHL have some sort of collaboration in the past with website structure or something like that?
it was something to do with stream NHL.Gamecentre I thought. Some interface or something

Reactions: fivehole32

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
That salad may have 5 days worth of calories, but it was like having Noah's Ark on a plate!
You reminded me of the salad at Espiau's in Claremont. Man, I love that thing, but I haven't been there in years. Used to go with my family all the time when I was little and they were in Pomona. Rarely went once they moved to Claremont, though. Hands down, some of the best chips, salsa and salad I've had anywhere.
Espiau's salad.jpg

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
there was a partnership between the MLB and NHL that NHL network and all the digital streaming stuff was basically run on MLBs system, MLBAM

i think they've wholly been acquired by disney at this point, probably in line with all the other acquisitions but i don't know dates

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Wow. This is fantastic news. I don't hate Faust and actually liked his voice, but I don't think he was a great fit and the past couple of seasons were starting to get really bad with his calls.

The job was Nick Nickson's all along. Hearing him again will be a breath of fresh air. It should have been his the very second Bob left the booth.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I liked Faust. I didn't like his chemistry with Fox but I mostly blame Fox on that (Faust was even better on national broadcasts imo).

I do love Nickson though, fantastic to have him on board.

I'm conflicted about Fox. I love the guy but I'm not sure I like him doing color with how much of a homer he's become.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Not that I expect it to change on the ice, but Faust has kind of gone hand-in-hand with how soft this team and organization has been. The voice and broadcast face of the Bluc era.

Kings PIM leaders during the Faust era:

2018 - Brown with 58
2019 - Clifford with 96 (not too terrible)
2020 - MacD with 47
2021 - MacD with 36
2022 - Lemieux with 97 (kind of fun)
2023 - Danault (!!) with 63. BLAKE LIZOTTE #2 with 60!!!

For a franchise that doesn't make the playoffs with regularity, I don't want to take a dump on the past two seasons from an "exciting to watch" point of view but my goodness has this stretch of hockey sucked and we had to listen to Faust and Fox try to sugar coat it. When they have made the playoffs, they've been bounced in the 1st round and noted tough guys Dustin Brown, Phil Danault and Blake Lizotte are at the top of the leaderboard for PIMs.

I will be beyond stoked if Nickson coming in means less pandering to the Kopi! Dewy! Bark Madness!! crowd.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Well well… wasn’t expecting this today.

I gotta agree with RJ, seems like another dipstick move from an organization that doesn’t know if it wants to shit or go blind.

They should have either just given the job to Nick in the first place (my choice) and then let Nick and Jim retire together down the road and start over with an entirely brand new crew, or forced Fox into retirement with Bob. Putting Faust with Fox was always going to be real awkward no matter what. Replacing a legend but still saddled with his sidekick, what could go wrong? Well we saw it. Faust was perfectly fine on national broadcasts, I’m sure he’ll have no trouble picking up the next gig.

Not looking too good as an out of stater on being able to watch Kings games going forward and that sucks. Guess we’ll see how it shakes out.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

I gotta agree with RJ, seems like another dipstick move from an organization that doesn’t know if it wants to shit or go blind.

They should have either just given the job to Nick in the first place (my choice) and then let Nick and Jim retire together down the road and start over with an entirely brand new crew, or forced Fox into retirement with Bob. Putting Faust with Fox was always going to be real awkward no matter what. Replacing a legend but still saddled with his sidekick, what could go wrong? Well we saw it. Faust was perfectly fine on national broadcasts, I’m sure he’ll have no trouble picking up the next gig.

Not looking too good as an out of stater on being able to watch Kings games going forward and that sucks. Guess we’ll see how it shakes out.
Nick originally didn't want the job. Now he doesn't have a choice.

You'll have no problem watching the games. TV revenue means too much to the league and the teams.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I imagine if the games were on KCAL that ESPN+ would still be running them or you'd just watch the feed from the other team.

The real question might be if you will be limited in the amount of Kings-run broadcasts v. actually missing out on some sort of broadcast. As long as I can watch, I don't think I'll care.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I liked Alex, hope he ends up on TNT.

I’m glad Nick gets the TV gig though, he deserves it. What’s it been, 33 years on just radio?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

That's kind of my thing. In a vacuum, we can make lemonade out of this.

But as a series of decisions throughout the org, it reeks of second-guessing and the usual lack of foresight and maybe i'm just bitter/jealous because I wish I had a blank AEG checkbook to throw shit around carelessly with a one-year vision too.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I imagine if the games were on KCAL that ESPN+ would still be running them or you'd just watch the feed from the other team.

The real question might be if you will be limited in the amount of Kings-run broadcasts v. actually missing out on some sort of broadcast. As long as I can watch, I don't think I'll care.
I suppose that’s true, but you gotta assume all teams are going to have this same problem and will end up on whatever podunk local channel they have too. Personally I’m like watching the Kings broadcast because it’s a taste of home.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I suppose that’s true, but you gotta assume all teams are going to have this same problem and will end up on whatever podunk local channel they have too. Personally I’m like watching the Kings broadcast because it’s a taste of home.
I imagine that ESPN's contract to basically be the old Center Ice package would mean they would still pull the broadcast even if it is on UPN or the WB.

Hopefully this is nothing but a great day for our ears and it allows Faust to go national where he is better. S.O.B. is only 34 years old: he'll get a gig. Still sucks for him though since the LA job is a nice one weather wise if you are going to be attached to an NHL team. Plus you know you can schedule vacations from May to September of every year without worrying about possibly working.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Faust was strange, as he's clearly a good PBP guy as evidenced when he does national games, but he was just a poor fit with the Kings. If you are keeping Fox as the color guy, you need the right kind of talent to balance him out, and Faust was NOT that. The Faust/Fox combo was one of the worst in the NHL. In the long run Faust will be fine, and the Kings will move on from a situation that wasn't working, feels like a win/win.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I liked Alex, hope he ends up on TNT.
I bet he ends up at ESPN despite their layoffs. He could get a split deal nationally between TNT/Fox/Apple+, but ESPN is going to want people who do multiple sports, let alone 3 like Faust (ignoring my dislike for him as the Kings PBP guy)

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Thanks to Alex for doing an impossible job and doing his best. I never understood the hate for Faust. Calls a good game most nights, but never got the chemistry right with Fox. Faust will land on his feet with the work he has shown. Baseball, hockey, football, he can do it all.

Nick will do an excellent job as he always does. Feels like a warm blanket.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks to Alex for doing an impossible job and doing his best. I never understood the hate for Faust. Calls a good game most nights, but never got the chemistry right with Fox. Faust will land on his feet with the work he has shown. Baseball, hockey, football, he can do it all.

Nick will do an excellent job as he always does. Feels like a warm blanket.
There were two major things I didn’t like about Faust. 1) he came off like a ‘cheesedick’ more often than not. 2) the intonations in his dialogue as of he was this expert in hockey and had all these years behind him to prove it.

With that said, I always liked his voice and approved of his goal calls. He will be just fine…he just needs to act more like he’s being himself rather than this fake persona.

• Love
Reactions: Faterson

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I bet he ends up at ESPN despite their layoffs. He could get a split deal nationally between TNT/Fox/Apple+, but ESPN is going to want people who do multiple sports, let alone 3 like Faust (ignoring my dislike for him as the Kings PBP guy)
They made an exception for Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, but ESPN usually sticks with their guys. They didn’t make really any outside hires when they got the rights back, other than on color because they didn’t have literally anybody.

Reactions: Moses Doughty

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
They made an exception for Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, but ESPN usually sticks with their guys. They didn’t make really any outside hires when they got the rights back, other than on color because they didn’t have literally anybody.
That's fair, although with changes to their CFB broadcasting deals I wonder if they need more broadcasters for the games that don't get stuck on ESPN+

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad