Kings to move to a singular broadcast team with Nick Nickson, Jim Fox, and Darryl Evans.

Any chance the Dodgers channel picks up the Kings? I have no clue what they show during the offseason but seems like that might be a good place for the Kings. It would be awesome if KCAL, KTLA or KCOP picked up part of the schedule. Maybe it's time for the NHL to think outside the box and start streaming directly to fans with no location requirements while cutting out the middlemen. Make it a fee based service and maybe stream a few free games a month to get people to watch.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Whether that is the catalyst or the excuse -- either way, it goes hand-in-hand with cost cutting.
I'm not saying they are wrong in doing so. If there is redundancy in the business operations/admin, then it's the right move to cut the unused fat. I don't know if that's the case or not (it's entirely possible that they are using the TV situation to save money).
Ah that's fair, misunderstood you initially. Probably a bit of both for now, although who knows what happens with the next TV deal atm

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I'm finding it hard to believe the Los Angeles Kings can't afford Alex Faust's contract, even with the current situation with broadcasting. For me and my family this is a victory, I think Nick Nickson is one of the last of a dying breed of broadcaster and maybe my personal favorite over the last 30 years or so.

The way Faust spoke about hockey never seemed too uninformed, I'm sure he did his homework. But I just got the impression that hockey was not a passion like it is for a lot of us. I could be way off base on this, just the impression that I get. I think he'll make an amazing NFL broadcaster and make a bazillion dollars and I wish him well.

Crosstraffic

Mar 15, 2015
Yorba Linda, CA
Wonder if Scripps could pull the same deal with the Kings as they did with Vegas, they have an owned and operated station here with KPXN channel 30 which every cable/sat operator has and is easily picked up by antenna in most of the LA basin. Would think it would get better ratings than 30 year old reruns of Law and Order.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Wonder if Scripps could pull the same deal with the Kings as they did with Vegas, they have an owned and operated station here with KPXN channel 30 which every cable/sat operator has and is easily picked up by antenna in most of the LA basin. Would think it would get better ratings than 30 year old reruns of Law and Order.

Maybe it's time for the NHL to think outside the box and start streaming directly to fans with no location requirements while cutting out the middlemen.
That's actually one of the rumors, but the MLB would be the middle man

I'm finding it hard to believe the Los Angeles Kings can't afford Alex Faust's contract, even with the current situation with broadcasting. For me and my family this is a victory, I think Nick Nickson is one of the last of a dying breed of broadcaster and maybe my personal favorite over the last 30 years or so.

The way Faust spoke about hockey never seemed too uninformed, I'm sure he did his homework. But I just got the impression that hockey was not a passion like it is for a lot of us. I could be way off base on this, just the impression that I get. I think he'll make an amazing NFL broadcaster and make a bazillion dollars and I wish him well.

I was bummed when Nick didn't get the job originally. But from my memory he stated he wanted to continue doing radio which I thought was somewhat strange. Either way, regardless of how you feel about Faust, I think most agree that Nick Nickson was the shoe in to replace Bob Miller so for that I'm certainly thankful. I think it's conceivable that Faust may have gotten enough negative feedback to the organization that they opted to cut bait. It's not just this board. Most of my friends can't stand him and plenty of other Kings fans agree.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Any chance the Dodgers channel picks up the Kings? I have no clue what they show during the offseason but seems like that might be a good place for the Kings. It would be awesome if KCAL, KTLA or KCOP picked up part of the schedule. Maybe it's time for the NHL to think outside the box and start streaming directly to fans with no location requirements while cutting out the middlemen. Make it a fee based service and maybe stream a few free games a month to get people to watch.
If the TV contracts had just come a year or two later they could have gone the MLS w/AppleTV route and put everything onto ESPN+, a small yearly fee on top of the subscription and air every game with no blackouts.

Reactions: lumbergh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad