Dreger: Kings to be aggressive, want to add 2 top 6 forwards

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Mikey Anderson is much bigger than Spurgeon who does a great job of shutting players down.

What I liked about Anderson the first half of the year is he was able to take the puck away, or negate a scoring chance without taking a penalty. Second half of the year it seemed like he was more gassed and starting using his stick more, or holding.

I think the first half is more what he will be

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
what I was seeing is that more often than not, the wingers were not getting open or being in the right spots for clearing attempts. This will hopefully be address by brining in more talent (really the point of this thread) and as younger players get more NHL experience.

One more top four LHD will make a huge difference.

I am fine with disagreeing on this.

Wingers were open.
When Kopitar or Carter or Doughty or Athanasiou or anyone with skill had the puck on the wall, they could make touch passes and hit guys on the exit.
The D, outside Doughty, was incapable of this.
Sometimes Maatta showed some of this ability. But mostly it was Doughty or bust.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Those players don't get you the 8th or Kupari.

But i would have interest in Boldy

What about Boldy + Pitsburgh 1st for Iafallo + Wagner

I would trade #8 for Boldy but I'm guessing Minnesota isn't interested. Pittsburgh's first for Iafallo might be a good move for Minnesota, but I think LA is committed to Alex.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Brilliant point on the spelling.

I watched most Kings games last year and and these guys got jacked because their defense, outside of Doughty, was almost useless in transition.

Too many times the Kings' defense had the puck on their stick and yet instead of breaking out, the Kings would spend 30 more seconds fishing for pucks in their own end because of bad passes and poor clearing attempts.

I have a hard time believing 5'11 Mikey Anderson will ever be a shutdown defenseman.

It is not a "good group." Not even close.
Most of these guys are replacement-level guys.

Awe, watched most games .. are you a closet kings fan or a out and proud kings fan?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I would really like to see kings buy low on Kadri. Short term left on his contract, brings a bit of sandpaper that the current roster is lacking, and wouldn't cost much.

I’m more than willing to take that risk, and the price should be minimal.

This is the year the kings need to make the Ryan Smyth type trade, not the Mike Richards trade.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
giphy.webp

haha fair response

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Would love Saad to be one of the targets. A great defensive blanket to help transition Byfield or Turcotte into the league. The guy has some scoring ability and a ton of big game experience. Still young and has size.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Would love Saad to be one of the targets. A great defensive blanket to help transition Byfield or Turcotte into the league. The guy has some scoring ability and a ton of big game experience. Still young and has size.

Wonder what he'll be looking for? Coming off a 6 year, $6 million contract and will be 29 in October. Maybe something around 4 years, $4.5 million? I think he was overpaid on his last contract, and should get similar to Toffoli's current contract.

Reactions: funky

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I would really like to see kings buy low on Kadri. Short term left on his contract, brings a bit of sandpaper that the current roster is lacking, and wouldn't cost much.

I’m more than willing to take that risk, and the price should be minimal.

This is the year the kings need to make the Ryan Smyth type trade, not the Mike Richards trade.

I don't see Colorado just giving Kadri away. They don't have anyone internally ready to assume his second line center role, and they are still in their window to compete.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Yeah, I think this type of deal would work and would be all for it. People forget Stepan and Raanta were traded for the 7th overall + a prospect. I honestly feel like Minny shouldn't do this.

You would support to trade away a potential 1st line center and the 8thOA for a smaller version of Iafallo and a 12 goal career high winger, who's production is declining since 3 years to 6 goals?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I don't see Colorado just giving Kadri away. They don't have anyone internally ready to assume his second line center role, and they are still in their window to compete.
Mainly was hoping that LA could possibly take advantage of a strained relationship between Kadri & the Av’s.

Either way, that’s the kind of deal I’d like to see the Kings make, versus emptying the cookie jar on a big name/poor fit/poor timing move.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Mainly was hoping that LA could possibly take advantage of a strained relationship between Kadri & the Av’s.

Either way, that’s the kind of deal I’d like to see the Kings make, versus emptying the cookie jar on a big name/poor fit/poor timing move.

It could be strained, we'll see. The Avs could be an interesting team to watch with Sakic this offseason. It could go either way IMO (a lot of moves, or, alternatively, staying the course).

Reactions: Deaders Ghost

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
You would support to trade away a potential 1st line center and the 8thOA for a smaller version of Iafallo and a 12 goal career high winger, who's production is declining since 3 years to 6 goals?

Iafallo has never hit 20 goals; I see Fiala's potential as a 30 goal scorer. They're completely different players, and Fiala brings dynamic zone entry skills and he's a threat to create his own chances going outside-in. He's also been on teams who have historically suppressed offense in NSH and MIN, and I think with some of our up and coming prospects he could further blossom. He's the centerpiece of this deal for me.

Greenway on the other hand is the type of player we don't have on our team or potentially in our system. Look at Tuch in Vegas, Maroon in Tampa, etc. He's a big body with snarl who creates space for his teammates and has an underrated passing ability. He can play on your 2nd line if needed, and is a stud on the 3rd line if you're a contender.

Lastly, they both fit the age group we are thinnest in. Kempe, Iafallo, and perhaps Moore are basically the only meaningful players we have insulating young guys after Kopitar and Doughty. I like Kupari, but you have to give to get and we have plenty of center prospects. As for the 8th overall, we have the deepest pool in the NHL. I'd be ecstatic if that pick became a player like Fiala, so why not acquire him now to help mesh with our current NHL-ready prospects rather than wait 3-4 years?

I'm not saying I'd for sure pull the trigger on this, but I definitely would be decently happy with it.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I'm hoping the Kings drop in and "save" cap-crunched teams to make this work. Saad or RNH are good players, but I just don't see a way we get them to sign shorter than 4 years out of UFA in order to get the flexibility Blake is looking for.

I'm thinking the Southeast teams have some interesting candidates:
  • Ondrej Palat's contract has 1 year left at 5.3M and it goes from a full NTC to a 20-team trade list on July 1st. Alex Killorn's contract has 2 years left at 4.45M and he submits a 16-team no trade list
  • Nino Neiderreiter has 1 year left at 5.25M. The Aho contract likely helps them keep Svech's next deal low if it's not a bridge deal, but there could definitely be a squeeze if they re-sign Hamilton this summer. Trocheck could be another target, as I don't think they're letting Necas or TT go.
  • Vatrano and Duclair could be on the outs in Florida depending on how negotiations with Bennett go given that Stralman and Yandle will be pretty hard to move. Vergaeghe would be a pipe dream but he's signed for another year at 1M

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
The Kings are kinda in need for a scoring winger since Fagemo and Kaliev are still 1-2 years away from making an impact.

1)I would rate Laine still as a very good player despite what other people say about his character.
What would be a reasonable asking price for Laine?

2) Which scoring wingers would be available league wide?
The Kings have the pieces to make any deal in any combination

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad