SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Kings need a lot.
1) Middle Six Center.
2) Top pairing LD.
3) Another Top 4D
4) Goalie (but they're stuck)
5) Winger to replace Carter.

EDIT: GIven the forwards on the way up, if I were the Kings, I wouldn't be signing any centers to a 5-year contract.
It's kind of a tough spot, because you're working in Vilardi still. You've got Turcotte, Byfield,, Kupari coming.

But on defense? Kings can afford longer contracts.
Their defense was about as bad as Detroit's last year. After Doughty, maybe it was worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kings need a lot.
1) Middle Six Center.
2) Top pairing LD.
3) Another Top 4D
4) Goalie (but they're stuck)
5) Winger to replace Carter.

Disagree with 3 (if they get 2) and 4 (unless you are talking prospect).

For me the need two forwards one being a center capable of playing second line, and a top 4 LHD.

Reactions: deaderhead28

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How many NHL teams actually ascribe to this way of thinking though? It appears Detroit is going that route but most don't have the patience, inclination, or goodwill from the fans to sit and spin for years on end.

Detroit had no choice.
They rode out Datsyuk and Zetterberg as long as they could, until a full-blown rebuild was the only option available.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Disagree with 3 (if they get 2) and 4 (unless you are talking prospect).

For me the need two forwards one being a center capable of playing second line, and a top 4 LHD.

Outside of Doughty, I don't think the Kings have a legit top 4 defenseman.
Walker, Anderson, Roy, Bjornfot, Maatta - all look like bottom pairing guys often cast in roles they're not good enough for.

Anderson and Klague and Bjornfot are young yet and should improve, but I don't think it's a given that any of them are better than third pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Osprey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Outside of Doughty, I don't think the Kings have a legit top 4 defenseman.
Walker, Anderson, Roy, Bjornfot, Maatta - all look like bottom pairing guys often cast in roles they're not good enough for.

Anderson and Klague and Bjornfot are young yet and should improve, but I don't think it's a given that any of them are better than third pairing defenseman.

Anderson absolutely will be a top 4. he played top line minutes in his first year in the league. He is why Bjornfot did not. I really like Clague but think Seattle take him.

Ideal next season for me:

UFA/TRADE - doughty
Anderson - Roy
Bjornfot - Walker
Maata

One D is all they need.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Anderson absolutely will be a top 4. he played top line minutes in his first year in the league. He is why Bjornfot did not. I really like Clague but think Seattle take him.

UFA/TRADE - doughty
Anderson - Roy
Bjornfot - Walker
Maata

One D is all they need.

Your second pairing is awful. They'll get killed by any decent team in the league.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

UFA/TRADE - doughty
Anderson - Roy
Bjornfot - Walker
Maata

One D is all they need.

I suspect they keep Anderson and Doughty together and that the 2nd pairing would be Roy and the new addition. For where the team is right now, one addition in the form of a top 4 LHD is sufficient. I'd even say Jones would be fine even though he's a RHD.

The Kings definitely need two top 6 forwards though unless they plan to try to win every game 1-0 or 2-1.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I suspect they keep Anderson and Doughty together and that the 2nd pairing would be Roy and the new addition. For where the team is right now, one addition in the form of a top 4 LHD is sufficient. I'd even say Jones would be fine even though he's a RHD.

The Kings definitely need two top 6 forwards though unless they plan to try to win every game 1-0 or 2-1.

ya i think that is more likely...i was going with my ideal.

member 329811

Byfield and Eichel - let's make a deal starting with those 2 pieces.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
well I do question your knowledge of LA defense when you spelt Clague with a K.

I have high hopes that Anderson will be a really good shut down top 4. Is this an offensive D, no. But it is a good group IMO with the likes of Faber and Spence on the way.

Brilliant point on the spelling.

I watched most Kings games last year and and these guys got jacked because their defense, outside of Doughty, was almost useless in transition.

Too many times the Kings' defense had the puck on their stick and yet instead of breaking out, the Kings would spend 30 more seconds fishing for pucks in their own end because of bad passes and poor clearing attempts.

I have a hard time believing 5'11 Mikey Anderson will ever be a shutdown defenseman.

It is not a "good group." Not even close.
Most of these guys are replacement-level guys.

Reactions: Osprey

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
Byfield and Eichel - let's make a deal starting with those 2 pieces.

I think it's been stated over multiple threads that the center position is the last thing Blake needs.

What would make a more interesting discussion is if you swap Dahlin w/ Eichel. Not saying either fan base would do this but it's pretty clear the Kings are not going to pursue Eichel...

Reactions: kinghock

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I watched most Kings games last year and and these guys got jacked because their defense, outside of Doughty, was almost useless in transition.

Too many times the Kings' defense had the puck on their stick and yet instead of breaking out, the Kings would spend 30 more seconds fishing for pucks in their own end because of bad passes and poor clearing attempts.

I have a hard time believing 5'11 Mikey Anderson will ever be a shutdown defenseman.

what I was seeing is that more often than not, the wingers were not getting open or being in the right spots for clearing attempts. This will hopefully be address by brining in more talent (really the point of this thread) and as younger players get more NHL experience.

One more top four LHD will make a huge difference.

I am fine with disagreeing on this.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

Well I've a hard time believing you watched Kings games last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad