Seravalli: Kings starting to take calls on Iafallo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
As to your first concern, I would agree if the Kings had a history of signing big name free agents...but they don't.

They have a history of trying to sign free agents, which is more relevant. If you don't have the cap space, you can't even try. Regardless, the last time that the team was in a position where they were going for it, the current GM signed Kovalchuk (and before you argue that he was no longer a big name, $6.25M is still a big price tag).

More importantly, I wasn't referring to only signings. Smyth, Richards, Carter, Gaborik were all examples of $5M+ AAVs that were traded for. Several more with AAVs over $4M could be listed. The point is that having a 30yo 3rd-liner costing $4M could affect your flexibility to add players like those.

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Apology accepted. I don't hate Kings fans and it bothers me when people hate other fan bases. We're all hockey fans.

As to your first concern, I would agree if the Kings had a history of signing big name free agents...but they don't. Vegas has a huge advantage over California teams just in taxes alone. That's why it is important when you have a player who is valuable that you try to keep that player. Barring a major trade (which I don't see Blake making), Iafallo is going to be the #1 LW for at least the next couple of years. The Kings have certainly not yet drafted his replacement.
Edit Will always dislike the Ducks and the fake Kings fans that became its fan base.Some of us are OG Kings fans before Gretz.Duck fans talk way to much trash from 2007 til 2012.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hextall connection...

On the Pens, the only real prospects that seem off the table are Poulin and Legare. They don't want to trade the 2nd, but didn't come outright saying they wouldn't, too. They are open for interpretation and said they might even add a UFA. They cleared some cap space waiving Sceviour & Riikola today, and I'd expect them to clear tomorrow.

Pittsburgh Penguins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Does one of Lee, POJ or Maniscalco peek your interests?

with...

2nd 2021 or the 2022

Or... both 2nds and no prospects?

At Forward there's O'Connor and other's. Poke around.. Even some roster players. I don't want to start a smartass take here, so some realistic takes would be appreciated. If it makes sense maybe we found a partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
They have a history of trying to sign free agents, which is more relevant. If you don't have the cap space, you can't even try. Regardless, the last time that the team was in a position where they were going for it, the current GM signed Kovalchuk (and before you argue that he was no longer a big name, $6.25M is still a big price tag).

More importantly, I wasn't referring to only signings. Smyth, Richards, Carter, Gaborik were all examples of $5M+ AAVs that were traded for. Several more with AAVs over $4M could be listed. The point is that having a 30yo 3rd-liner costing $4M could affect your flexibility to add players like those.

Good discussion...thanks. One point of clarification...are you opposed to resigning Iafallo at any price or you just don't want to overpay for him? I assume it's the latter. If so, I think you are really just agonizing over $1 million or less. For example, if the Kings could sign him for $4.25 million and you thought he was worth no more than $3.5 million we are arguing about a difference of $750k. Seems like small potatoes at the end of the day. I agree that $5 million is too much.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Hextall connection...

On the Pens, the only real prospects that seem off the table are Poulin and Legare. They don't want to trade the 2nd, but didn't come outright saying they wouldn't, too. They are open for interpretation and said they might even add a UFA. They cleared some cap space waiving Sceviour & Riikola today, and I'd expect them to clear tomorrow.

Pittsburgh Penguins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Does one of Lee, POJ or Manisclco peek your interests?

with...

2nd 2021 or the 2022

Or... both 2nds and no prospects?

At Forward there's O'Connor and other's. Poke around.. Even some roster players. I don't want to start a smartass take here, so some realistic takes would be appreciated. If it makes sense maybe we found a partner.

Id be interested in poj and a 2nd or the two 2nds, doesnt seem too unreasonable if we are moving him.

kbcb

Dec 22, 2018
Good discussion...thanks. One point of clarification...are you opposed to resigning Iafallo at any price or you just don't want to overpay for him? I assume it's the latter. If so, I think you are really just agonizing over $1 million or less. For example, if the Kings could sign him for $4.25 million and you thought he was worth no more than $3.5 million we are arguing about a difference of $750k. Seems like small potatoes at the end of the day. I agree that $5 million is too much.
Mr Tomd I owe you an apology. Didn’t mean for it to come off so personal. Was think more of the dodger/angels duck/king rivalry . My apologies and good luck to you and your teams

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Mr Tomd I owe you an apology. Didn’t mean for it to come off so personal. Was think more of the dodger/angels duck/king rivalry . My apologies and good luck to you and your teams

Apology accepted. Remember that it's just sports which at the end of the day is pretty unimportant :)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I'd rather that they not re-sign him, but, if they do, I'd be OK with $4Mx1, $3Mx2 or $2Mx3, though I know that those are not realistic and he's worth more. I just want to see something new and don't want too much tied up in bridge players, especially vanilla ones. At least Athanasiou is exciting to watch. If they re-sign one, I'd prefer him.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'd rather that they not re-sign him, but, if they do, I'd be OK with $4Mx1, $3Mx2 or $2Mx3, though I know that those are not realistic and he's worth more. I just want to see something new and don't want too much tied up in bridge players, especially vanilla ones. At least Athanasiou is exciting to watch. If they re-sign one, I'd prefer him.

Yeah, those are pretty unrealistic salary numbers for sure. The thing I find most interesting is the lack of urgency to return to respectability. The prospect pool is loaded (at least on paper) and I would think Kings fans would be starting to focus on improving the team on the ice. But instead it seems that many fans here would be happy to continue getting top 5 picks for the next several years. Maybe that is just a function of the type of fan that inhabits Hockey's FUTURE but it still seems odd nonetheless. Paradoxically, I get amused when the same fans populate the GDT threads with complaints about how bad the team is. Are they secretly happy about that and are salivating over finishing at the bottom of the standings? Perhaps...

Reactions: go4hockey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Who are the comparribles to him and his production? I don't see him as a 5 mil player , but he's definitely earned a raise over the 2.85 he's been making. 4.00-4.50 seems about right.
Pearson, LW, 28 Y.O.
Career point per game average: .46

Iafallo, LW, 27 Y.O.
Career point per game average: .47

Pearson just signed for for 3 years 3.25M.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Pearson's NTC probably cost him some cash.

I'd be fine with anything in the under $4 million AAV range for 3 no more than 4 years with term being more important to me. I'd go a little higher to keep it at 3 years. $4.25 ish million but no more than that.

If the Hoven report is accurate ($5+ million for 4+ years) then that's too much and I'd trade him.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'd be fine with anything in the under $4 million AAV range for 3 no more than 4 years with term being more important to me. I'd go a little higher to keep it at 3 years. $4.25 ish million but no more than that.
Tomd is not gonna like this, pal.

He will put you in that large group of tankster crowd now.

And dont forget......no more whining in the GDTs when he is gone.

whistle-1485604.jpg

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Pearson, LW, 28 Y.O.
Career point per game average: .46

Iafallo, LW, 27 Y.O.
Career point per game average: .47

Pearson just signed for for 3 years 3.25M.

One of those players is trending up and the other trending down. Guess which is which...

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Tomd is not gonna like this, pal.

He will put you in that large group of tankster crowd now.

And dont forget......no more whining in the GDTs when he is gone.

whistle-1485604.jpg

Well, your snark aside (which is really unnecessary) the numbers that you quoted were almost identical to the numbers that I said would be fair for Iafallo. VAR for you?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Well, your snark aside (which is really unnecessary) the numbers that you quoted were almost identical to the numbers that I said would be fair for Iafallo. VAR for you?
No VAR.
Numerous people said this would be ok to fair too but no more if that was the case. For good orders sake, you just start a discussion with as much info as most have = NOTHING.

Suddenly people wanted to get rid of him, were tankster crowd, didnt appreciate the player or whatever. Typical tomd.

Pretty much unbearable and this is not the first time. Its exactly what Raccoon Jesus said about you in post #145. He hit the nail on the head. Lets not pretend you are even remotely interested in Iafallo. You are just there to piss of people and you are doing a fine job.:thumbu:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
No VAR.
Numerous people said this would be ok to fair too but no more if that was the case. For good orders sake, you just start a discussion with as much info as most have = NOTHING.

Suddenly people wanted to get rid of him, were tankster crowd, didnt appreciate the player or whatever. Typical tomd.

Pretty much unbearable and this is not the first time. Its exactly what Raccoon Jesus said about you in post #145. He hit the nail on the head. Lets not pretend you are even remotely interested in Iafallo. You are just there to piss of people and you are doing a fine job.:thumbu:

You are too easily triggered which means I am over the target. Eventually we'll know the truth about what both sides are offering. If Iafallo's side is being unreasonable then trading him is the correct course of action. I'll say again...a 4 year deal in the $4.25 AAV range is quite reasonable for his age and production. The Kings are a much better team with him then they will be without him. And at 27, he should be the type of player the Kings are trying to add...not subtract. I can't imagine anything that I've just said is the least bit controversial.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
No VAR.

He acts like we don't know his past of coming over on the Kings board stirring the pot for attention.Will the real Tomd please stand up?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Has leafs written all over it.

Sandin + conditional 3rd round pick (goes to second if they go to the stanley cup)

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Yeah, those are pretty unrealistic salary numbers for sure. The thing I find most interesting is the lack of urgency to return to respectability. The prospect pool is loaded (at least on paper) and I would think Kings fans would be starting to focus on improving the team on the ice. But instead it seems that many fans here would be happy to continue getting top 5 picks for the next several years. Maybe that is just a function of the type of fan that inhabits Hockey's FUTURE but it still seems odd nonetheless. Paradoxically, I get amused when the same fans populate the GDT threads with complaints about how bad the team is. Are they secretly happy about that and are salivating over finishing at the bottom of the standings? Perhaps...
I think some got caught up in the early streak and how well they played Vegas and even Colorado this year. False hope for the season.

Id rather a top ten pick this year than an early exit. Still don’t think they can take 4-7 games at this point. Hoping to see top prospects getting time at the end here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad