Seravalli: Kings starting to take calls on Iafallo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Good. He's an important part of the team despite not being elite at anything. He's a good complimentary player that can play in a top 9 role and insulate the kids coming up from the AHL.
But the Kings arent going to contend again during Doughty/Kopitar's careers are they?

the Kings confuse me as I cant seem to figure out their path. Kopitar and Doughty will be 34 and 32 this year, why havent they been sold yet? And even worse is keeping guys like Iafallo, who are much easier to move

Kings should be adding draft capital and prospects, not signing 27yo UFAs to term

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Good. He's an important part of the team despite not being elite at anything. He's a good complimentary player that can play in a top 9 role and insulate the kids coming up from the AHL.

Couldn’t agree more. When I go back and forth from NBA, NFL and NHL games on television sometimes I catch a kings game. I’ve been impressed with Lafallo. He isn’t a scrub one bit.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If we should sign him, the Carter deal probably made that possible. Looks like AEG is working with limited resources, AKA (internal CAP). As long as there is no NTC clause. Got to think he gets moved at some point down the line but right now we need him to stabilize this roster with good productive players.

Could be an internal cap, though AEG has never been that cheap, and given what is going on in the rail industry with such strong revenues, I don't think the Kings owner has limited resources :)

I believe Iafallo's agent knows the Kings are one of the few teams that will have plenty of Cap room in the coming years. He is going to milk this one as much as he can, before he probably blinks. Kings are probably one of the few teams that can pay slightly above where Iafallo pegs salary wise in the current cap environment. Will see where it goes, but I bet the agent is starting to realize Iafallo would get less in the open market vs what the Kings are offering. If the Kings trade him, he probably will cost his client some $$

Hopefully they get a deal done.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
But the Kings arent going to contend again during Doughty/Kopitar's careers are they?

the Kings confuse me as I cant seem to figure out their path. Kopitar and Doughty will be 34 and 32 this year, why havent they been sold yet? And even worse is keeping guys like Iafallo, who are much easier to move

Kings should be adding draft capital and prospects, not signing 27yo UFAs to term

Didn't Blake say the goal is to make the playoffs in 2022?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Seriously? Here's our DRAFTED prospect pool.....

Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Thomas, Fagemo, Kupari, Dudas, Eyssimont, Madden, Ryshma, Phillips, Clague, Moverare, Faber, Durzi, Grans, etc.

Granted, not all of them will work out....but you can only collect so much draft capital etc, As it is they might have to move some of them to gain assets as there are only 6 top end roles and 8 players who could end up being there, not including Vilardi, etc.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If he's making anything less than $4.5 million per, he's a bargain on the first line and a decent deal on the second line. If he's ever bumped down to the third line, he'd be overpaid. But who, in the next two years at least, is going to steal that spot from Iafallo? That seems like the best case scenario, that someone can come in and take Iafallo's spot.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Seriously? Here's our DRAFTED prospect pool.....

Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Thomas, Fagemo, Kupari, Dudas, Eyssimont, Madden, Ryshma, Phillips, Clague, Moverare, Faber, Durzi, Grans, etc.

Granted, not all of them will work out....but you can only collect so much draft capital etc, As it is they might have to move some of them to gain assets as there are only 6 top end roles and 8 players who could end up being there, not including Vilardi, etc.
But none of those names you listed will be in their primes before Kopitar and Doughty are on their way out

having too much youth also is never an issue

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

No but they have a loaded farm and the luxury of having them around to mentor the kids while hopefully playing meaningful games as early as next season. I don't think the value they will return exceeds their value to the Kings. I don't want a Sabres situation...

Reactions: fsanford

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
No but they have a loaded farm and the luxury of having them around to mentor the kids while hopefully playing meaningful games as early as next season. I don't think the value they will return exceeds their value to the Kings. I don't want a Sabres situation...
Doughty likely stays but Kopitar could return quite a pretty penny

id be hard pressed to say no to multiple high end pieces for development of the youth.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Could be an internal cap, though AEG has never been that cheap, and given what is going on in the rail industry with such strong revenues, I don't think the Kings owner has limited resources :)

I believe Iafallo's agent knows the Kings are one of the few teams that will have plenty of Cap room in the coming years. He is going to milk this one as much as he can, before he probably blinks. Kings are probably one of the few teams that can pay slightly above where Iafallo pegs salary wise in the current cap environment. Will see where it goes, but I bet the agent is starting to realize Iafallo would get less in the open market vs what the Kings are offering. If the Kings trade him, he probably will cost his client some $$

Hopefully they get a deal done.

AEG laid off 20% of their work force last year. Also affected the Kings with Rosen and Futa, and staff that were not publicly known. Seems to me they were cost cutting and now are being prudent.

Agreed with the agent trying to get the most for his client, but that's his job.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
But none of those names you listed will be in their primes before Kopitar and Doughty are on their way out

having too much youth also is never an issue
No team in the history of the nhl has won the cup (which is the goal of every team ) with everyone on there team under 23 Give your head a shake Teams need veteran players. This is the role Kopitar Brown Quick and doughty will play to mentor the future kings.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If he's making anything less than $4.5 million per, he's a bargain on the first line and a decent deal on the second line. If he's ever bumped down to the third line, he'd be overpaid. But who, in the next two years at least, is going to steal that spot from Iafallo? That seems like the best case scenario, that someone can come in and take Iafallo's spot.

Yeah, right now there is nobody on the team or in the minors that can take either 1st line wing positions. I'd say 2 year there may be a few, but for now, he's a good fit there.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
That's a lot of negotiating, especially with the deadline approaching for, well, a solid player but ... Hey, I get kind of riled when secondary players keep the GM up late at night trying squeeze every last dollar. Even if the Kings offers have been low/not ideal term, bonuses, whatever, Iafallo isn't a guy Blake should be up working overnight to get signed.

On that point, I'd love to hear a story that a GM finally snapped in one of these negotiations and told the player's agent "I'd stay up every night until 4 am for three weeks to get McDavid signed. Your client is no McDavid." (Basically what Dubas should have done a few years ago with Nylander)

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, right now there is nobody on the team or in the minors that can take either 1st line wing positions. I'd say 2 year there may be a few, but for now, he's a good fit there.

You never know. Who was ready to play 1LW for the Kings in 2017-18? The answer was similar then. John Stevens had to put someone there, though, so an undrafted, recently signed college player who most assumed was competing for a 3rd-line role (if he even made the team) was, improbably, thrown onto Kopitar's wing for a preseason game and the rest is history. You never really know who's ready to excel with an opportunity until you give it to him.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That's a lot of negotiating, especially with the deadline approaching for, well, a solid player but ... Hey, I get kind of riled when secondary players keep the GM up late at night trying squeeze every last dollar. Even if the Kings offers have been low/not ideal term, bonuses, whatever, Iafallo isn't a guy Blake should be up working overnight to get signed.

On that point, I'd love to hear a story that a GM finally snapped in one of these negotiations and told the player's agent "I'd stay up every night until 4 am for three weeks to get McDavid signed. Your client is no McDavid." (Basically what Dubas should have done a few years ago with Nylander)

Dubas took negotiations right down to the last hour and it was Nykahder who came back to the table. Not Dubas. An hour later and Nylander would have been ineligible to play that season ( to be fair he barely showed up/was very rusty coming in halfway through season).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad