Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Mikey Anderson to his 3 year ELC

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't know. It wouldn't shock me if Drew returned to that form, but it also wouldn't shock me if this is the start of a quick decline.

I used to think Drew had great game-sense but more and more I'm thinking he just got by on athleticism, he was just better than almost everyone else, maybe not smarter. Drew made a ton of really awful plays this season, plays that he was able to reover from in years passed and didn't seem to be able to this year. And I can't help but remember what his family looks like, maybe that is unfair but genetics are a tough thing (as a type 1 diabetic I can tell you first-hand). Maybe I am overreacting, we will see this year, but if Doughty doesn't return to atleast being top 5-8 d-man the Kings are in a lot of trouble because last year he was nowhere close to that and he is owed a ton of money for a ton of years.

I'll say this again guys... One player having a down season is pretty understandable, hell 2-3 is normal but to literally have 90% of your team regress speaks to bigger problems within the team and org..
I fully expect bounce back seasons from Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Amart, Toffoli, Carter and even Kempe.. Expect more youth which will be bring with it more hunger and energy to this team.. I expect our D to make more mistakes but it will be much more mobile and offensive..

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This team and fanbase has been totally spoiled by Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar being two of the most consistent players at their position over the last decade in terms of performance and games played.

Disgusting how one off year gets people to dumpster you. Literally one, and one year removed from what was a Norris-caliber performance.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This team and fanbase has been totally spoiled by Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar being two of the most consistent players at their position over the last decade in terms of performance and games played.

Disgusting how one off year gets people to dumpster you. Literally one, and one year removed from what was a Norris-caliber performance.

Neither one is getting any younger.

We don't know what the truth is, is it this year or is it last year or somewhere in between?

Hopefully they both bounce back, because if either one of them is significantly declining it's going to be a big problem with their contracts.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I would be shocked if Anderson is ever a consistent 50+ point d-man like Krug is. He can still be a quality 2nd pairing defender but it's hard for d-man to score 50 points in the NHL.

I agree...not a lot of 50+ point scoring defensemen out there. Just the fact the Kings are perennial bottom 5 offensive teams, puts all their players with low point totals. Mikey had the most assists in the NCAA in the March-April period (is this among all players or defensemen only? See the lakingsinsider writeup on the signing article - ether way, impressive) so he does have true offensive abilities. 23 pts as a Freshman and 27 as a Sophomore. 50 pts in 79 college games. Would have
probably topped 30 pts in each of his next 2 college seasons as well.

He also had 2 goals and 3 assists in the 7 games of the WJC, which was near the top of all defensemen in the tourney.

I see him as a pro with an aptitude to play at a high level in all situations and be dependable
in the D zone....and getting the puck out of the zone cleanly. Playing second PP and contributing
there as well. A top 4 D for certain. I hope he takes Forbort's place and plays with Drew.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I'll say this again guys... One player having a down season is pretty understandable, hell 2-3 is normal but to literally have 90% of your team regress speaks to bigger problems within the team and org..
I fully expect bounce back seasons from Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Amart, Toffoli, Carter and even Kempe.. Expect more youth which will be bring with it more hunger and energy to this team.. I expect our D to make more mistakes but it will be much more mobile and offensive..
Kopitar and Doughty will have good seasons. Quick will be team dependent, i dont blame him at all for last season. Amart should be solid. Toffoli, Carter and Kempe are likely to dissapoint again imo.

I think we were a poorly coached team last season and outside of kopitar and Doughty... so from our 3rd best player on down we are by far the least talented team in the NHL.

But i think we have the prospects and a desirable location for UFA's to turn that around quickly. McLellan should also be an upgrade.

It will just depend how good these prospects actually are and whether or not we can get someone like Panarin to come here.

But its not unreasonable to think that we could get enough talent on this roster to compete with the current group of playoff teams that are still in it.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Too many people only seem happy predicting various levels of doom and despair. Seeing Doughty being almost written off at times the last few weeks has been infuriating and almost embarrassing. During both cup runs we had a fair share of doomsayers. I know at times I can be too positive but the careers of every players over the age of 25 have been written off at various times since the season end and that just won’t be the case.

We won’t move on more than 2-3 senior players and the remaining ones all have the possibility of varying degrees of bounce back, all apart from Phaneuf that is. Freshening things up with some youth will help all the players that stay, no end.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
At 17, 18, 19, you can be called Mikey, I suppose...can you see him 10 years from now, being called Mikey?
I hope he goes by Michael or just Mike. But honestly, if he reaches his potential, which is a star defenseman, if he wants to go by Mikey,
I say ok.

Reactions: Telos

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
At 17, 18, 19, you can be called Mikey, I suppose...can you see him 10 years from now, being called Mikey?
I hope he goes by Michael or just Mike. But honestly, if he reaches his potential, which is a star defenseman, if he wants to go by Mikey,
I say ok.

Kopi, Kovy, Brownie, Quickie, Dewie, Lewie, Cliffy, Marty.....don't think anyone's going to have issues with Mikey.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Too many people only seem happy predicting various levels of doom and despair. Seeing Doughty being almost written off at times the last few weeks has been infuriating and almost embarrassing. During both cup runs we had a fair share of doomsayers. I know at times I can be too positive but the careers of every players over the age of 25 have been written off at various times since the season end and that just won’t be the case.

We won’t move on more than 2-3 senior players and the remaining ones all have the possibility of varying degrees of bounce back, all apart from Phaneuf that is. Freshening things up with some youth will help all the players that stay, no end.

That's the nature of this board in some ways. Expecting to fail is kind of a weak outlook in life.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Okay, so I've been out of state on business and am also a YTTV subscriber. Someone give me some opinions and analysis on Mikey Anderson's performance since the call-up. And do they call him Mikey, Mike or Michael? I personally go by Mike, but if I were him, I'd be fine w/Mikey as a pro athlete.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
image.gif

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Okay, so I've been out of state on business and am also a YTTV subscriber. Someone give me some opinions and analysis on Mikey Anderson's performance since the call-up. And do they call him Mikey, Mike or Michael? I personally go by Mike, but if I were him, I'd be fine w/Mikey as a pro athlete.

I'll give you the TMac's version. "Impressive, impressive, impressive" were the coaches words after the game last night. He's fit in well because he has a good foundation and hockey IQ. His outlet passes have been smart and on target. Quite frankly, to me (who has watched nearly every game in ONT this season), he looks better so far in the NHL than the AHL (not that he was bad, but there were some coverage issues and he went through a rough stretch mid season), likely due to the better structure of the game at this level. He's not trying to do too much right now, concentrating on his own end, and he does not look out of place at all. He's a good skater, but not necessarily a burner, smart positioning is the key. He'll get over-matched physically at times, but so far I think he's been a very solid pairing, with his new "partner", Matt Roy.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I love what the kid has done in his limited action. He has great pedigree and is a champion. I am loving the fact he is getting time in this year and if he continues his growth I would love to see both Bjornfot and Anderson in our lineup next year.

Bjornfot - Doughty
Veteran LHD - Walker
Anderson - Roy
MacDermid

Roy has greatly improved and has shown he can handle the rigors of an NHL season.

Walker needs to get stronger over summer to do the same but has shown glimpses of a great puck moving middle pairing guy

Anderson reeks of a solid Dman that will be able to keep up with play and also distribute the puck. Blake needs to trade for or sign a solid middle pairing defensive partner to let Walker make more pinches and play with that bit of risk.

Bjornfot may need some more seasoning but give him another stint with DD. He can’t be worse than what DD has been saddled with the last 4 years.

Big Mac as a number 7 fits a perfect role. He isn’t an everyday guy but fills a certain role when needed at a cheap price.

I would be very happy with this next year to continue pushing the rebuild/tool forward. Maybe Clague gets a shot in there as well. With Ontario so close we can send some of the youth back and forth if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad