Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Mikey Anderson to his 3 year ELC

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
He needs more strength and balance, better edge work will help elevate his game. He is a leader and has good hockey IQ, very coachable. If he turns out to be a Tory Krug type... we will have a steal.
I think youre underrating him with the Krug comparison.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I think youre underrating him with the Krug comparison.

Don't think so. If Anderson can continue developing at the Pro level I see him projecting at around 50-60pts. Well rounded defenseman with leadership qualities. What I see is a similar Krug type player that can QB the powerplay and provide some clean breakouts from the back end. He needs to work on his skating to compensate for his lack of size.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Don't think so. If Anderson can continue developing at the Pro level I see him projecting at around 50-60pts. Well rounded defenseman with leadership qualities. What I see is a similar Krug type player that can QB the powerplay and provide some clean breakouts from the back end. He needs to work on his skating to compensate for his lack of size.

Not sure what your looking at but those two could nt be any more different..
Krug is an offensive Dman who happens to be a dumpster fire in his own end...
Anderson is a legit shutdown Dman with a growing offense... Mikey is a much better defensive Voynov with his offensive upside

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I would be shocked if Anderson is ever a consistent 50+ point d-man like Krug is. He can still be a quality 2nd pairing defender but it's hard for d-man to score 50 points in the NHL.

I need to keep reminding myself that the Kings development approach is defense first. Middle pair defenseman is what he will probably end up being. We can't develop any offensive talent from the back end like the bruins.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I need to keep reminding myself that the Kings development approach is defense first. Middle pair defenseman is what he will probably end up being. We can't develop any offensive talent from the back end like the bruins.

The highest scoring season from any Bruins d-man that's not Krug in the last 5 years is Chara with 40 points, or Dougie Hamilton with 42 if you go back further.

Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, and Martinez have all had better 'average' seasons than any Bruin d-man not named Chara or Krug.

Come on. Feel free and build an argument around maybe McAvoy, but we also have Clague in the system, etc.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The highest scoring season from any Bruins d-man that's not Krug in the last 5 years is Chara with 40 points, or Dougie Hamilton with 42 if you go back further.

Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, and Martinez have all had better 'average' seasons than any Bruin d-man not named Chara or Krug.

Come on. Feel free and build an argument around maybe McAvoy, but we also have Clague in the system, etc.

Kale Clague has a high offensive upside
Mikey Anderson is a shutdown stud with unknown offensive potential
Sean Durzi has future PPQB written all over him
Daniel Brickley is a very talented guy who could make the team, Weird that he looked better in the NHL than AHL
Austin Strand is a hugh, mobile, howitzer possessing ball of clay
Markus Phillips needs to be signed but is an all around Dman

This could/should be our Ontario Reign defense... thats a lot of potential! with those defensive pairing

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005

Just because you asked.

McAvoy is only 21 his PPG/adv = 42 pts a season.
(Small sample of 2 years but we can re-tally after a few more years in the league)

Doughty PPG/adv 44.94pts a season
Muzzin PPG/adv = 35 pts a season
Voynov PPG/adv = ~34.8 pts a season
Martinez PPG/adv = 28 pts a season

Clague and Anderson are 20 and we still don't know what they will bring but they have potential. I will add Durzi here too. Hoping they take these guys and open up their offensive abilities and not confine them just for shutdown roles.

Giordano is a perfect example on how Anderson can eventually blow up offensively with a more offensive team structure.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Just because you asked.

McAvoy is only 21 his PPG/adv = 42 pts a season.
(Small sample of 2 years but we can re-tally after a few more years in the league)

Doughty PPG/adv 44.94pts a season
Muzzin PPG/adv = 35 pts a season
Voynov PPG/adv = ~34.8 pts a season
Martinez PPG/adv = 28 pts a season

Clague and Anderson are 20 and we still don't know what they will bring but they have potential. I will add Durzi here too. Hoping they take these guys and open up their offensive abilities and not confine them just for shutdown roles.

Giordano is a perfect example on how Anderson can eventually blow up offensively with a more offensive team structure.

The one problem when comparing any Kings players production to other players around the league is people always forget that Kings players sacrificed a lot of offensive numbers for the sake of playing what became known as Kings hockey under CDS. Drew Doughty had 59pts his sophomore year lets not forget. These guys sacrificed prime years to win and it was worth it i bet.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
The one problem when comparing any Kings players production to other players around the league is people always forget that Kings players sacrificed a lot of offensive numbers for the sake of playing what became known as Kings hockey under CDS. Drew Doughty had 59pts his sophomore year lets not forget. These guys sacrificed prime years to win and it was worth it i bet.

I agree with the D, their prime years with the Kings were all about the cup runs. I think the next "wave" of defensemen we should try to maximize their offensive skills and not develop future Forborts.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I agree with the D, their prime years with the Kings were all about the cup runs. I think the next "wave" of defensemen we should try to maximize their offensive skills and not develop future Forborts.

I hope so, but we also need a big mobile guy...
Hell the more I look at the draft and how it might shape up we could end up with
Bowen Byram and Moritz Seider.. can you imagine the pipeline with those two added to what we already have... speculation is the CBH take Podzolkin... and the Avs are leaning offense so Cozens or Dach could be there picks, leaving us with a choice of either Byram or Turcotte

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
So your saying there is a chance for Byram?

Byram - Doughty
Anderson\Clague - Durzi
Phillips\Forbort - Roy \Walker \LaDue \Strand

I like it! Going to have to find a 2C soon though.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Drew had 60 points the season before last. People forget the offensive explosion by some of the players in 2017-2018 because this last season was such an abomination. I think we'll see an offensive resurgence again under TM for some key players.

And we got swept in the first round by an expansion team.
Doughty, Brown, Kopitar never played better in their cup run years, they played as a team, put aside their personal goals and sacrificed it for winning.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
And we got swept in the first round by an expansion team.
Doughty, Brown, Kopitar never played better in their cup run years, they played as a team, put aside their personal goals and sacrificed it for winning.

This is getting off topic now, but the point is that the players are capable of providing offense and defense given the right system. Nobody's arguing that the Kings weren't at their best in the seasons between 2012 and 2014. To say otherwise is foolish. But then again, nobody is saying that here.

That being said, this is some serious hindsight. The Kings lost that series because their offense dried up and the fact that Muzzin was not healthy and missed games along with a nice timely suspension for Doughty. Hell, Forbort missed the entire series as well due to injury. They gave up 7 goals in that series. The Kings earned the Jennings and had best PK in 2018 while still being about average on offense, which is great for a Kings team of late. The assertion that in 2018 they weren't playing as a team and didn't sacrifice for winning is ridiculous. Look at the box scores of who the team was icing on defense. It's a damn minor miracle they were actually as solid as they were.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
This is getting off topic now, but the point is that the players are capable of providing offense and defense given the right system. Nobody's arguing that the Kings weren't at their best in the seasons between 2012 and 2014. To say otherwise is foolish. But then again, nobody is saying that here.

That being said, this is some serious hindsight. The Kings lost that series because their offense dried up and the fact that Muzzin was not healthy and missed games along with a nice timely suspension for Doughty. Hell, Forbort missed the entire series as well due to injury. They gave up 7 goals in that series. The Kings earned the Jennings and had best PK in 2018 while still being about average on offense, which is great for a Kings team of late. The assertion that in 2018 they weren't playing as a team and didn't sacrifice for winning is ridiculous. Look at the box scores of who the team was icing on defense. It's a damn minor miracle they were actually as solid as they were.

Who said that?
The fact is we got completely outplayed by Vegas, Quick stood on his head to even keep it that close. We relied on our defensive shell (bend don't break mentality). This is with Doughty, Kopitar and a rejuvenated Brown having career best years. Forbort would of made no difference in that series. Of course they tried, but they failed, we move on and now we try to fix things.

Getting back on topic.
I have every expectation that the offensive will get back on track. Not hard to move the needle up when you finish dead last in the league for Goals for. Offensively we are somewhere in between last year and the year before. Hopefully TM instills a system that works better and all the players buy in but only time will tell if it will translate to eventual success.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Listened to a clip on LAKI, where Rosen and Jim Fox discussed the hiring of TM.

Fox’s main take was that TM brings a presence which commands respect from the players. And his leadership will make up for what the players lack. I’m not going to get hung up on how they spin this move to the fans. But TMs lineup and ice time decisions need to be the proof of how he holds players accountable. If he plays favorites with aging vets and coaches to squeak out 2-1 wins, riding Quick like a donkey, I’ll be frustrated.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Drew had 60 points the season before last. People forget the offensive explosion by some of the players in 2017-2018 because this last season was such an abomination. I think we'll see an offensive resurgence again under TM for some key players.

I don't know. It wouldn't shock me if Drew returned to that form, but it also wouldn't shock me if this is the start of a quick decline.

I used to think Drew had great game-sense but more and more I'm thinking he just got by on athleticism, he was just better than almost everyone else, maybe not smarter. Drew made a ton of really awful plays this season, plays that he was able to reover from in years passed and didn't seem to be able to this year. And I can't help but remember what his family looks like, maybe that is unfair but genetics are a tough thing (as a type 1 diabetic I can tell you first-hand). Maybe I am overreacting, we will see this year, but if Doughty doesn't return to atleast being top 5-8 d-man the Kings are in a lot of trouble because last year he was nowhere close to that and he is owed a ton of money for a ton of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad