Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Four Free Agents: Gilbert, Trotman, Zatkoff, Latta

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Why though? Do you read goals and assists only. Forbort played very steady this year at Ontario. In fact, even in their final playoff series where they lost 4-1 in games, he was +1 for the series. He might just be the calm no frills player Drew needs next to him. DF doesn't want to have the limelight. It's not his game. His game is consistent and quiet, and somewhat effective. I could see it. It's at least worth a try.

Yes thats it, I read goals and assists only, was it that obvious?

Its got nothing to do with the fact that he hasn't proven that he can play a season in the NHL, let alone top pairing minutes against the NHLs best.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Yes thats it, I read goals and assists only, was it that obvious?

Its got nothing to do with the fact that he hasn't proven that he can play a season in the NHL, let alone top pairing minutes against the NHLs best.
I should not have said that. But the lack of giving some of our young players who are succeeding in the AHL is going to kill us in the long run. IMO. I agree with Forbort that he hasn't shown much, but he has improved greatly, and at about the time the kids career is going to take off a bit, DL won't have him anymore.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
B's fan.
I thought pretty highly of Trotman during his time here. He always brought a good attitude and approach to the game as well as a solid set of tools. He should be a regular with you guys. He adapts well. Very strong, simple game. Good skater, booming clapper. Nice little pickup, I think he could turnout to be a top 4 guy at some point. We shall see, wish him the best in LA.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I cannot imagine they signed Trotman to be in the AHL. The Kings have 3 rookie D coming in there this coming season. I was sorry to lose Colin Miller to you guys. Hope he does well.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I cannot imagine they signed Trotman to be in the AHL. The Kings have 3 rookie D coming in there this coming season. I was sorry to lose Colin Miller to you guys. Hope he does well.

Trotman, IMO, was ahead of Colin Miller in almost every aspect of the game. Miller has much more raw skill, but the Trot was more safe. You knew what you were getting with him. Which is just a solid game. He'll be a good fit in the city of Angels.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I've watched quite a bit of gamecenter archive since we got Trotman and I can tell you I'm not impressed. He's very soft down low and in the corners. And doesn't really have reach. He was playing almost exclusively with Chara, and in the middle of February just stopped playing him. I can see why. Nothing special coming our way, that's for sure.

Edit: DS will have flashbacks of Ehrhoff. The Bruins first 5 unit seemed to play a free wheeling style. Not much defensive effort, and lots of looking for easy offense.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I'm fairly certain the Kings needed a back-up signed for 2 seasons for the expansion draft. Unless you just want to expose Quick to the draft.

Fair enough, I didn't think of that. But even then I believe that there might have been goalies who are better backups but still ok to expose.

I admit thought that this year's goalie market was really weak...

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I should not have said that. But the lack of giving some of our young players who are succeeding in the AHL is going to kill us in the long run. IMO. I agree with Forbort that he hasn't shown much, but he has improved greatly, and at about the time the kids career is going to take off a bit, DL won't have him anymore.

I said it before and will say it again, Forbort looks like Brian Boyle II. He won't motivate himself to give everything on the ice until he gets bashed over the head with a trade.

I totally get Sutter not wanting to play a rookie not giving it everything (Schenn, Ehrhoff, Scuderi and much of McNabb weren't any better). The guy has plenty of skill but hasn't shown that extra gear to make it in the big show.

Note to Kings management: no more 1st round projects please.

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Zatkoff could be a solid backup for us, but we'll see.

Gilbert will play 3rd pair for a while, but it's hard to say if he can play "Kings' standard" Defense, and remain all season.

I'm looking forward to seeing at least 2 of these guys in Ontario next season.
:handclap:

As others have said, I think Gravel, and likely Forbort too, are probably ahead of any of the D-men acquired. This just strengthens the competition,IMO.

IMO, Gravel is the unequivocal choice to groom as Doughty's D-partner.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

Gilbert will play 3rd pair for a while, but it's hard to say if he can play "Kings' standard" Defense, and remain all season.

As others have said, I think Gravel, and likely Forbort too, are probably ahead of any of the D-men acquired. This just strengthens the competition,IMO.

IMO, this just proves that DL still hasn't come close to replacing Voynov.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Only issue I can see is that Gravel does not require waivers. So I could see him getting sent down. I don't want him to be sent down but I could see it.

Greene and Scuderi I could see both going down. Scuds for sure, Greene's recent waivers for potential buy out proves he would likely clear.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

How can he? Look at what it cost Edmonton to get Larsson. Probably was an over-payment but how can Dean possibly get a top 4 right handed puck mover with prices that high? He'd have to give up Pearson + 1st round pick.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
How can he? Look at what it cost Edmonton to get Larsson. Probably was an over-payment but how can Dean possibly get a top 4 right handed puck mover with prices that high? He'd have to give up Pearson + 1st round pick.

now by pearson you mean Toffoli.

Pearson + 1st would not get Hall.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
now by pearson you mean Toffoli.

Pearson + 1st would not get Hall.

Doubtful but I was thinking more of a #3/4 d-man instead of a #2 that Larsson is. But yeah, you want a top pairing guy then it'll cost Toffoli +.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
With respect to our top 4 defenseman need, we have only two options: (1) play with what we got and hope for one of our young defenseman or the signed defenseman excel beyond expectations; or (2) not trade our first and second round draft picks at the trade deadline for rentals and continue drafting defenseman every year with the hope that we find our top 4 down the road.

I don't see any other alternative for the next 3 years. We don't have the assets or players like Edmonton to trade a Hall for Larson.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Only issue I can see is that Gravel does not require waivers. So I could see him getting sent down. I don't want him to be sent down but I could see it.

Greene and Scuderi I could see both going down. Scuds for sure, Greene's recent waivers for potential buy out proves he would likely clear.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that unless he has a terrible training camp, Gravel is going to be on the Kings roster next fall. Their objective is to have the next home-grown young defenseman ready to contribute, like Martinez, Muzzin and Voynov. Gravel has learned all he's going to learn from being in the AHL. It's time for him to move on to regular NHL play. One-year rental defensemen are stopgaps for injuries or for limited play of rookies, but first priority is to have Gravel (or Forbort) develop into the slot Voynov vacated. We need a middle-pairing defenseman and our AHL graduates need NHL third-pairing playing time this season to be ready to step into that 2nd-pairing role by next season.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Everything I've read seems to indicate that unless he has a terrible training camp, Gravel is going to be on the Kings roster next fall. Their objective is to have the next home-grown young defenseman ready to contribute, like Martinez, Muzzin and Voynov. Gravel has learned all he's going to learn from being in the AHL. It's time for him to move on to regular NHL play. One-year rental defensemen are stopgaps for injuries or for limited play of rookies, but first priority is to have Gravel (or Forbort) develop into the slot Voynov vacated. We need a middle-pairing defenseman and our AHL graduates need NHL third-pairing playing time this season to be ready to step into that 2nd-pairing role by next season.

I hope our D looks like this:
McNabb/Gravel - Drew
Martinez - Muzzin
McNabb/Gravel - Forbort/Gilbert/Greene

Scuderi and one of Greene or Gilbert waived.

Very doubtful Gilbert gets waived after just signing so that means it's likely Greene getting waived in this scenario. However like I said if LA is not comfortable exposing either than Gravel can be sent down until an injury.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

I think every GM in the league would have trouble replacing a 3/4 Dman signed to the team friendly contract that Slava was on. Dean and the Kings org lost out big time because of VV's actions, and its not anyones fault other than Slava's. I think its really understated how much losing VV hurt the Kings...the D pairs have been a mess ever since. not an easy guy to replace

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I didn't even know that Jared Boll was a free agent. The Kings should have signed him over Latta. Then traded Clifford, and Nolan.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I didn't even know that Jared Boll was a free agent. The Kings should have signed him over Latta. Then traded Clifford, and Nolan.

No way man. Latta has a lot of upside and is universally loved. Boll is a typical enforcer who can play a little but is slow and dumb.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
McNabb/Gravel - Drew
Martinez - Muzzin

Very doubtful Gilbert gets waived after just signing so that means it's likely Greene getting waived in this scenario. However like I said if LA is not comfortable exposing either than Gravel can be sent down until an injury.

Cracknell was waived after being signed, it happens, especially since it's just 1 year.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
If only Forbort can do some steady stay at home duty....It's going to be an interesting camp.

forbort Doughty
Muzzin Martinez
Mcnab Gilbert

Ontario:

Greene, Scuds, Gravel (1st call up)

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
McNabb/Gravel - Drew
Martinez - Muzzin

If Gilbert gets sent down he only counts as what 400k against the cap? I wouldn't be shocked to see him and Scuds in Ontario, and maybe Greene gets moved at the start of the season when injuries occur..

Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Forbort-Gravel
Trotman

Leaving Ontario with

LoVerde-Leslie
LaDue-Gilbert
Scuderi-MacDermid

Lintuniemi to ManchVegas.

Cernak gets another year in jrs, and eyechart goes back for an overage year or to Manchester.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The prognostications are certainly all over the place on what the roster will shake out like this year. This will be the most competitive camp in recent memory. I hope the thought process is take the best players who earned the spot on what is best for the LA Kings, and not based upon I'm an old vet so I get to stay mentality. May the best hockey players win! ONT should benefit with a couple guys moving down.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The prognostications are certainly all over the place on what the roster will shake out like this year. This will be the most competitive camp in recent memory. I hope the thought process is take the best players who earned the spot on what is best for the LA Kings, and not based upon I'm an old vet so I get to stay mentality. May the best hockey players win! ONT should benefit with a couple guys moving down.

I suspect they will trade players rather than try to pass them through waivers, their are over 25 capable skaters who at this point will be in camp (10 defenseman, only 1 of which they could lose for nothing and not care, that being Scuderi) and countless bottom-six type forwards who aren't waiver exempt.

Last edited:

nikolai19

Jan 5, 2003
Corona, CA
myspace.com
If Gilbert gets sent down he only counts as what 400k against the cap? I wouldn't be shocked to see him and Scuds in Ontario, and maybe Greene gets moved at the start of the season when injuries occur..

Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Forbort-Gravel
Trotman

Leaving Ontario with

LoVerde-Leslie
LaDue-Gilbert
Scuderi-MacDermid

Lintuniemi to ManchVegas.

Cernak gets another year in jrs, and eyechart goes back for an overage year or to Manchester.

Honestly, that D lineup in LA is best case scenario for opening night. Top 4 is solid and let the kids get 12-15 minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad