Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Four Free Agents: Gilbert, Trotman, Zatkoff, Latta

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
It will take around 6 million to resign Tyler Toffoli. If La cant sign him, this team is in trouble.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It will take around 6 million to resign Tyler Toffoli. If La cant sign him, this team is in trouble.

We have to sign him. Unless he gets crushed by a boulder in the next year, we have to sign him at all costs. I would wager between $5.5-6.5 million for about 5 years or so would easily get it done. We would move players to make the contract fit. Outside of one of our crazy outlandish off-the-ice incidents that seem to haunt our players recently, there is absolutely no way we allow him to walk and the only way he gets dealt is if we were offered a young #2 defenseman on a screamin' deal, and Taylor Hall couldn't even net that so...

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
We have to sign him. Unless he gets crushed by a boulder in the next year, we have to sign him at all costs. I would wager between $5.5-6.5 million for about 5 years or so would easily get it done. We would move players to make the contract fit. Outside of one of our crazy outlandish off-the-ice incidents that seem to haunt our players recently, there is absolutely no way we allow him to walk and the only way he gets dealt is if we were offered a young #2 defenseman on a screamin' deal, and Taylor Hall couldn't even net that so...

People seem to be drawing the Forsberg comp, and it's just not their. They will only be buying 1 RFA year, while Nashville bought 4, i've said it before and i'll say it again, I think we're looking at a deal closer to that of Tarasenko, $7M+ for 7 or 8 years, as we've seen with Kopitar, Lucic, and numerous others, these guys don't take less out of the goodness of their hearts.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Lombardi might be hoping that Gilbert can play better on the Kings.

Muzzin - Doughty
Martinez - Gilbert

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
People seem to be drawing the Forsberg comp, and it's just not their. They will only be buying 1 RFA year, while Nashville bought 4, i've said it before and i'll say it again, I think we're looking at a deal closer to that of Tarasenko, $7M+ for 7 or 8 years, as we've seen with Kopitar, Lucic, and numerous others, these guys don't take less out of the goodness of their hearts.

I wouldn't expect Toffoli to take a discount, but he is still a RFA and he doesn't have Tarasenko numbers. I have no problem paying Toffoli $7.5M per season long term if he puts up 40+ goals and 70+ points. This season will factor in heavily, but so far his production numbers are in line with other players in the $5M-7M range. While the Kings are against the wall in having to keep him, they do have to count every penny and he is still a RFA. Toffoli is awesome, but he is no Tarasenko, though hopefully he can take that step... It depends on the term and how creative they get of course, but I can't see him surpassing $7M a season unless he has a knockout year, which is possible.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
i will be surprised if Greene ever plays again. i think the past year and current situation is Dean 'jobbing' the system. Greene is done physically and the game has passed him by, he's now a huge liability on the ice

Right now he's either a $1.6M cap hit sitting in Ontario or he's a $2.5 healthy scratch. The buyout train has left the station. Or he retires and lets $5M sit there on the table.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Right now he's either a $1.6M cap hit sitting in Ontario or he's a $2.5 healthy scratch. The buyout train has left the station. Or he retires and lets $5M sit there on the table.

It's been reported he's healthy and ready to go. Why would he retire? I've seen this suggested on HF more than once, who in their right mind would walk away from a guaranteed contract?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I wouldn't expect Toffoli to take a discount, but he is still a RFA and he doesn't have Tarasenko numbers. I have no problem paying Toffoli $7.5M per season long term if he puts up 40+ goals and 70+ points. This season will factor in heavily, but so far his production numbers are in line with other players in the $5M-7M range. While the Kings are against the wall in having to keep him, they do have to count every penny and he is still a RFA. Toffoli is awesome, but he is no Tarasenko, though hopefully he can take that step... It depends on the term and how creative they get of course, but I can't see him surpassing $7M a season unless he has a knockout year, which is possible.

Tarasenko hadn't scored 40 before he got his deal, he, like Toffoli to date, had one 30+ goal season.

Tarasenko (going into the summer in which he got his deal) and Toffoli (to date) are more similar than one might think. Tarasenko had 58 goals and 116 points in the prior 2 seasons (13-15), Toffoli has 54 goals and 107 points in his last 2 seasons, and i'll make the same argument as I did with Forsberg, the Blues were buying 3 of Tarasenko's RFA years, Toffoli only has 1 RFA year left to buy.

So even if you think Tarasenko is a far superior player (so far, I agree), UFA years are simply more expensive.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
-Gilbert: Is he (still) good? Well, great AAV anyway. He can't be worse than Schenn.
-Trotman: Who is that?
-Latta: One year almost for the minimum. Can't argue with that, you need such role players. I only know him from 24/7.
-Zatkoff: I don't like this, especially the term, I think one year would've been enough. I don't think he's a good backup but I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong. I'd expect 70+ games out of Quick though.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
-Zatkoff: I don't like this, especially the term, I think one year would've been enough. I don't think he's a good backup but I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong. I'd expect 70+ games out of Quick though.

I'm fairly certain the Kings needed a back-up signed for 2 seasons for the expansion draft. Unless you just want to expose Quick to the draft.

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
Nothing too exciting but I like these signings.

Latta will help give LA a pretty nasty 4th line.

Don't expect much out of Trotman and Gilbert but defensive depth was a big issue in the playoffs and Greene getting bought out opens up more of a need. Trotman is still relatively young so hopefully he can develop his game more.

Zatkoff isn't the ideal backup but he's been decent with the Penguins. Budaj has been great in Ontario so we have that option at least. If Quick gets injured next season, LA is in trouble.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I'm fairly certain the Kings needed a back-up signed for 2 seasons for the expansion draft. Unless you just want to expose Quick to the draft.

Because they acquired Jack Campbell, who will be an RFA again next summer (assuming he only signs a 1 year deal) at the draft, they had that covered.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Lombardi might be hoping that Gilbert can play better on the Kings.

Muzzin - Doughty
Martinez - Gilbert

I'm thinking .....

Forbort / Doughty

Muzzin / Gilbert

Martinez / Trotman

McNabb, Greene, Gravel .....let Scuderi start @ Ontario. See if Trotman/Forbort/Gravel are ready to take his place.....

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Tarasenko hadn't scored 40 before he got his deal, he, like Toffoli to date, had one 30+ goal season.

Tarasenko (going into the summer in which he got his deal) and Toffoli (to date) are more similar than one might think. Tarasenko had 58 goals and 116 points in the prior 2 seasons (13-15), Toffoli has 54 goals and 107 points in his last 2 seasons, and i'll make the same argument as I did with Forsberg, the Blues were buying 3 of Tarasenko's RFA years, Toffoli only has 1 RFA year left to buy.

So even if you think Tarasenko is a far superior player (so far, I agree), UFA years are simply more expensive.

Look at Saad's contract as the comparable. Tarasenko's contract was more based on his potential as he has 50 goal potential while also putting up better numbers. Tarasenko has a .80 ppg in comparison to Toffoli's .61 ppg. In Saad's case, he currently has a .62 ppg and just put up 30 goals. I don't think it's a good idea to use Forsberg and Tarasenko as comparable because it's a very different situation.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I'm thinking .....

Forbort / Doughty

Muzzin / Gilbert

Martinez / Trotman

McNabb, Greene, Gravel .....let Scuderi start @ Ontario. See if Trotman/Forbort/Gravel are ready to take his place.....

I can think of about 6 other candidates on the team that deserve that top pairing role more than Forbort.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Look at Saad's contract as the comparable. Tarasenko's contract was more based on his potential as he has 50 goal potential while also putting up better numbers. Tarasenko has a .80 ppg in comparison to Toffoli's .61 ppg. In Saad's case, he currently has a .62 ppg and just put up 30 goals. I don't think it's a good idea to use Forsberg and Tarasenko as comparable because it's a very different situation.

Saad's contractual situation is the same as both Tarasenko and Forsberg, they were buying 3 RFA years.

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
you know toffoli is banking in on it since he changed agencies to newport. he'll get at least 6x8 for taking the hit on bridge to have lucic in for the season. (especially with okposo and eriksson comparable contracts) he doesn't seem like he's interested in anything but being a king at least. worth every penny if he continues the two way play of last couple years with that production.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I can think of about 6 other candidates on the team that deserve that top pairing role more than Forbort.

Why though? Do you read goals and assists only. Forbort played very steady this year at Ontario. In fact, even in their final playoff series where they lost 4-1 in games, he was +1 for the series. He might just be the calm no frills player Drew needs next to him. DF doesn't want to have the limelight. It's not his game. His game is consistent and quiet, and somewhat effective. I could see it. It's at least worth a try.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Forbort looked out of place in the NHL. Badly outskated, constantly took soft minor penalties because he couldn't keep up.

Only thing that impressed me about him was when he stood up for a hit against Gaborik. Surprised to see that from him because often times he looks so passive aggressive. He also made a couple of decent passes but that's all there really is to say as far as positives about his play.

He still hasn't learned to use his size to his advantage, and I'm not talking about crushing opponents with hits, but how to make strong defensive plays and to muscle opponents off of the puck.

His slow development has been frustrating to watch and I can't believe that the organization is pleased with how he's played.

If they were high on Forbort, they wouldn't have bothered bringing back McBain last season or signing Trotman and Gilbert. That's a sign that Forbort is unlikely to crack this blueline.

We are close to reaching that point where the Kings hit the abort button on Forbort.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
you know toffoli is banking in on it since he changed agencies to newport. he'll get at least 6x8 for taking the hit on bridge to have lucic in for the season. (especially with okposo and eriksson comparable contracts) he doesn't seem like he's interested in anything but being a king at least. worth every penny if he continues the two way play of last couple years with that production.

It was to leave space open for Voynov. There was plenty of room with Lucic to get Toffoli done on a longer term contract.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Forbort looked out of place in the NHL. Badly outskated, constantly took soft minor penalties because he couldn't keep up.

Only thing that impressed me about him was when he stood up for a hit against Gaborik. Surprised to see that from him because often times he looks so passive aggressive. He also made a couple of decent passes but that's all there really is to say as far as positives about his play.

He still hasn't learned to use his size to his advantage, and I'm not talking about crushing opponents with hits, but how to make strong defensive plays and to muscle opponents off of the puck.

His slow development has been frustrating to watch and I can't believe that the organization is pleased with how he's played.

If they were high on Forbort, they wouldn't have bothered bringing back McBain last season or signing Trotman and Gilbert. That's a sign that Forbort is unlikely to crack this blueline.

We are close to reaching that point where the Kings hit the abort button on Forbort.

I think they are going to trade or move him somehow as well. But he could easily be a player we wish we still had two years from now, and we wouldn't know anything about this because he was not given a good look. His game looks fine in the AHL IMO. Give him 20 straight games and then tell me what you think. He's just been another young kid that DS tinkers with. It's easy to say, oh DL and DS are geniuses, and if they say he's no good, then he's no good. That's ridiculous IMO. I know you can't give every prospect 20 straight, but they will sure as hell give Trotman 20 straight, just like they did McNabb. At the vets like Gilbert, DS will personally pick him up at LAX and have him in the lineup that night. Trotman only has in the number of games he does because he was in an organization that took a good look. Same with McNabb in Buffalo. If I was a prospect, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be drafted by the Kings, but after a couple years, I'd sure like to be traded to them. Don't even need to have played one minute in the DS system. The beauty of that is that coming in you have zero flaws, and that's all DS can see. Prospects that are here, well he's had the chance to just rip your game apart. It's a complete fallacy that we develop players for our own team now. That has not been happening. DS is so hesitant to play any of these young kids. DS and DL are not on the same page IMO. DL thinks he's building and developing a franchise and DL has no patience to truly develop any young kids at all. I'll stop. Wine talking a bit!! But I certainly believe a lot of this.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think the problem is Forbort's game, it just doesn't fit with what the team is looking to get out of him.

He was drafted in 2010 when he was part of the USNTDP, and at that time, when he was 17, he looked like a promising prospect with good size. He actually posted very decent points at that time, which is a reason why he was projected to be a 1st round prospect.

The problems started when he moved on to a more advanced level of hockey. He barely improved in his three seasons in North Dakota. His development stalled, and after three full seasons in the AHL, he still hasn't shown anything that stands out as being "NHL level."

Forbort was drafted 6 years ago, he's 24 now, and his time is running out to show something. I think he has to really stand out at training camp and blow the coaching staff away with his play in order for him to stick. And this is if he even gets to training camp. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to see him moved between now and October.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
B's fan.
I thought pretty highly of Trotman during his time here. He always brought a good attitude and approach to the game as well as a solid set of tools. He should be a regular with you guys. He adapts well. Very strong, simple game. Good skater, booming clapper. Nice little pickup, I think he could turnout to be a top 4 guy at some point. We shall see, wish him the best in LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad