Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Christian Ehrhoff (1 year, $1.5M)

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This is the 19th century though!

curricle-drawing-3.jpg

Ron*

Agreed on point one. On point 2 with regards to Lucic the Kings are under no obligation to honor that NTC. Once a player gets traded the acquiring team can disregard a NTC.

Thanks for the clarification. Learn something new every day.

The new cap sites strike again. I've known better to take their word as gospel, but still I fall in their trap.

It brings up an interesting point. I doubt we will be able to sign Lucic to an extension...so as RP says above, if the Kings pull their shenanigans again, let's just move his ass by the trade deadline to at least get something for the future.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Just got back from the lake. Love the signing, I expect a big bounce back as he should see more pp time here. Experienced Defenceman also seems to do well in L.A lately.

He is a minute muncher that can play the right side, eat minutes and comes dirt cheap. Gives VV time to heal and come back when ready, if the league lets him.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
To start the season, we're likely to see these pairings:

Muzzin-Doughty
McNabb-Ehrhoff
Martinez-Greene
McBain

I figure if/when Voynov returns, they'll either rotate/rest the bottom two between McNabb and Greene.

What's great about the Ehrhoff addition is his versatility and ability to play in all situations.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
To start the season, we're likely to see these pairings:

Muzzin-Doughty
McNabb-Ehrhoff
Martinez-Greene
McBain

I figure if/when Voynov returns, they'll either rotate/rest the bottom two between McNabb and Greene.

What's great about the Ehrhoff addition is his versatility and ability to play in all situations.

Yep, I think that's what we'll see too. The huge bonus is that he played under Sutter before, so I assume Sutter may have the same sort of trust in Ehrhoff right off the bat that he did with RR.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Yep, I think that's what we'll see too. The huge bonus is that he played under Sutter before, so I assume Sutter may have the same sort of trust in Ehrhoff right off the bat that he did with RR.

Sutter has never coached Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff didn't play for the Sharks until the 2003-04 season. Sutter last coached the Sharks in the 2002-03 season.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Sutter has never coached Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff didn't play for the Sharks until the 2003-04 season. Sutter last coached the Sharks in the 2002-03 season.

Well, so much for that line of thinking! Hopefully, he hits it off with McNabb right away and that pairing stays together. McNabb was really trending up before he got benched at the end of last season.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The thing to watch with Ehrhoff coming into this season is going to be if he's really anywhere near the player he used to be. Two concussions in the last few years. Upper body injury near end of season with Pittsburgh. We could be getting a Mike Richards type scenario here. We'll find out soon enough. Also, this contract does make the Kings already very tight cap even tighter IF the entire MR contract is back on the books and depending on when VV starts up against the cap again. If all this happens, the Kings might have to move people to the minors that they don't want to, or make trades if possible.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The thing to watch with Ehrhoff coming into this season is going to be if he's really anywhere near the player he used to be. Two concussions in the last few years. Upper body injury near end of season with Pittsburgh. We could be getting a Mike Richards type scenario here. We'll find out soon enough. Also, this contract does make the Kings already very tight cap even tighter IF the entire MR contract is back on the books and depending on when VV starts up against the cap again. If all this happens, the Kings might have to move people to the minors that they don't want to, or make trades if possible.

We aren't getting a Mike Richards type scenario. If he sucks that bad we send him to the farm and only have a $575,000 lump of nothing counting against the salary cap for however much remains of the year and likely if we do a deadline trade to pick up a vet we can off-load him in the deal. Richards was on the books for five years -ten in a buyout- and would have cost millions.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Agreed on point one. On point 2 with regards to Lucic the Kings are under no obligation to honor that NTC. Once a player gets traded the acquiring team can disregard a NTC.

I believe that only applies when the clause hasn't kicked in yet, like with Richards or Visnovsky, their NTCs were set to kick in after they were traded giving the clubs the option whether or not to honor them. Unless they changed something in the most recent CBA, Lucic still has his.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I believe that only applies when the clause hasn't kicked in yet, like with Richards or Visnovsky, their NTCs were set to kick in after they were traded giving the clubs the option whether or not to honor them. Unless they changed something in the most recent CBA, Lucic still has his.

If you waive your clause, which Lucic did, it doesn't automatically get reinstalled after the trade. If the kings agreed, then it could be put back into place, but the Kings would be idiots to do that (assuming Lucic didn't insist on it as part of the trade perhaps).

YOYOTCROSTER*

1.5M per wow that is the steal of the summer. Stanley is coming back home. Concussions were both low grade and he is completely free of all symptoms.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
If you waive your clause, which Lucic did, it doesn't automatically get reinstalled after the trade. If the kings agreed, then it could be put back into place, but the Kings would be idiots to do that (assuming Lucic didn't insist on it as part of the trade perhaps).

Was it Visnovsky that got "Ducked" and found out the hard way that his no trade clause didn't carry over after a trade?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

I don't believe that's accurate but don't have any source to pull. I'm fairly certain waiving it is just a one time exception, it doesn't automatically remove the clause from the contract. Its only in the Richards/Lubo scenarios where a player is traded pre clause kicking in that the team has any choice on the matter.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It hadn't kicked in yet. I believe it was set to kick in on July 1 and LA traded him on June 29.

I thought there was something where he waved to get traded to the Ducks, who then traded him, but he thought he had an NTC.

Then the NTC should have been voided when traded the first time...

Ah look .. lunch time!! Needed a break.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I thought there was something where he waved to get traded to the Ducks, who then traded him, but he thought he had an NTC.

Then the NTC should have been voided when traded the first time...

Ah look .. lunch time!! Needed a break.

Nope Lubo got screwed over hard by the Kings. Signed a deal a year in advance with full NTC because he wanted to be a King. Was told by team in May/June of that year he wouldn't be traded prior to July 1 (before NTC). Got traded 2 days before NTC kicked in. Lombardi really screwed Lubo on that one. No matter what you think of the return on the trade.

That voided the NTC for the rest of the deal.

Anonymous028

Sep 18, 2008
Nope Lubo got screwed over hard by the Kings. Signed a deal a year in advance with full NTC because he wanted to be a King. Was told by team in May/June of that year he wouldn't be traded prior to July 1 (before NTC). Got traded 2 days before NTC kicked in. Lombardi really screwed Lubo on that one. No matter what you think of the return on the trade.

That voided the NTC for the rest of the deal.
He got screwed.

LA got two cups.

#VoteForLubo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad