Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Christian Ehrhoff (1 year, $1.5M)

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
i dont get why people think that the 3c will be weal or shore for that matter. This is sutter making the decision and as long as trevor lewis is on this team its his to lose imo Shore woke up clifford and nolan offensive side why would we want to change that. I think people are getting carried away with the Weal love Only way he make the opening lineup is to outplays shore or andy

lucic kopitar gaborik
pearson carter toffoli
king lewis brown
clifford shore nolan
andy
this is most likely our opening night lineup I would be shocked if its different

It's because no one is remotely excited about Lewis as 3rd line center. He has not shown the ability to create any offense on his own. That third line you put up is going to spend a lot of time along the boards facing away from the net.

I'd much rather see Weal be given the chance to make things happen on that line.

Just because you think you know what Sutter is going to do doesn't mean 1. He's actually going to do those things and 2. We fans can't have a mind of our own.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Hoping Ehrhoff a strong and steady path to recovery. A low risk gamble by DL and worth it , when healthy, a good d , terrific PP player and a solid teammate

But he admitted when he cleaned out his locker at the end of April that he suffered 'multiple ' concussions last year. That's a worry, a brain bruise is serious enough, but multiple is a real concern.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/753398

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
It's because no one is remotely excited about Lewis as 3rd line center. He has not shown the ability to create any offense on his own. That third line you put up is going to spend a lot of time along the boards facing away from the net.

I'd much rather see Weal be given the chance to make things happen on that line.

Just because you think you know what Sutter is going to do doesn't mean 1. He's actually going to do those things and 2. We fans can't have a mind of our own.

well welcome to king hockey its not overly exciting This team is design to win 1-0 2-1 or 3-2 Not anything more then that. Sutter will take Lewis better then average defense over shore/weal rookie mistake for a few more goals for but a lot more against. This team is trying to win in a short cup window and playing prospects (shore was counted in our top 20 prospect pool so im using that as his qualifer) is not going to happen If we were rebuilding sure maybe you do that but this is a all out win this season. You can have your own opinion but i just don't see it happening We dont have time to afford to play prospects in key roles expecially early in the season. As far as weal goes correct me if im wrong but there was a interview stating that he would be given a shot at rw not center and this was made before we got lucic I don't see him fitting in this year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
well welcome to king hockey its not overly exciting This team is design to win 1-0 2-1 or 3-2 Not anything more then that. Sutter will take Lewis better then average defense over shore/weal rookie mistake for a few more goals for but a lot more against. This team is trying to win in a short cup window and playing prospects (shore was counted in our top 20 prospect pool so im using that as his qualifer) is not going to happen If we were rebuilding sure maybe you do that but this is a all out win this season. You can have your own opinion but i just don't see it happening We dont have time to afford to play prospects in key roles expecially early in the season. As far as weal goes correct me if im wrong but there was a interview stating that he would be given a shot at rw not center and this was made before we got lucic I don't see him fitting in this year.

I don't disagree. I also don't think anyone is penning Shore or Weal in as certainties, but I think most of us believe that it's going to be some combination of Lewis/Shore/Weal where you--correct me if I'm wrong--want a trade to happen.

I agree that it would be foolish just to throw those guys in and pretend everything is okay but it sounds like camp is going to be ultra-competitive--which is a great thing--but that many people are excited about a guy like Weal who has the organization buzzing and has done everything he can to make it to the NHL versus going after some retread somewhere like Horcoff.

I also think the general consensus is that if Weal isn't on our roster this year, he's gone elsewhere, as he should be.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I don't disagree. I also don't think anyone is penning Shore or Weal in as certainties, but I think most of us believe that it's going to be some combination of Lewis/Shore/Weal where you--correct me if I'm wrong--want a trade to happen.

I agree that it would be foolish just to throw those guys in and pretend everything is okay but it sounds like camp is going to be ultra-competitive--which is a great thing--but that many people are excited about a guy like Weal who has the organization buzzing and has done everything he can to make it to the NHL versus going after some retread somewhere like Horcoff.

I also think the general consensus is that if Weal isn't on our roster this year, he's gone elsewhere, as he should be.

First off thank you I think i may need to get a calendar out and mark this down you agreeing with me lol :sarcasm: i jk sorta. I have read a lot of lineups in here and other places with Weal with written into it. I will admit there were some of them before we acquired Lucic and after i believe Futa or was it was it another one of kings brass saying Weal would get a a shot at rw.

I just don't see Sutter playing a prospect on the 3 c spot when he has a proven veteran like Lewis I agree Lewis isn't a offensive dynamo He is a above average defensive player and i have lost count on the number of empty net shot he stopped in the defensive zone. (more then hes missed the net on breakaways i guarantee)

I have said i think Weal gets traded (to the leafs most likely) however he could beat out andreoff and be 13th forward and i would be ok with it. I just dont see him starting the season playing Shore looked really good on the 4th line and i would rather keep him there. I dont see where he fits. Hes a top 6 player without a spot imo

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Hoping Ehrhoff a strong and steady path to recovery. A low risk gamble by DL and worth it , when healthy, a good d , terrific PP player and a solid teammate

But he admitted when he cleaned out his locker at the end of April that he suffered 'multiple ' concussions last year. That's a worry, a brain bruise is serious enough, but multiple is a real concern.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/753398

Mitchells noggin was in a bad way when we got him, hopefully this deal works out just as well.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
No but you don't think they can have practice at TSC.

Yes, I do think that's possible. That's not what you said. You said "have players come work with the team then go back to Ontario" which would imply a recall. Since you are also the self-appointed CBA guru around here, why don't you confirm that wouldn't constitute a recall. I suspect coming in and joining the Kings to practice or otherwise work with the team would be viewed as a recall by the league and the NHLPA.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Yes, I do think that's possible. That's not what you said. You said "have players come work with the team then go back to Ontario" which would imply a recall. Since you are also the self-appointed CBA guru around here, why don't you confirm that wouldn't constitute a recall. I suspect coming in and joining the Kings to practice or otherwise work with the team would be viewed as a recall by the league and the NHLPA.

Yes I realized what I wrote after and forgot to go back and edit it to clarify what I was thinking.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

I expect Lewis to be on the top line at least 2 or 3 times this year, because that's what Sutter does, no matter how well guys are playing. When asked afterwards, you'll get a "no reason" answer .

Captain Mittens*

I expect Lewis to be on the top line at least 2 or 3 times this year, because that's what Sutter does, no matter how well guys are playing. When asked afterwards, you'll get a "no reason" answer .

Sometimes things need to be shaken instead of stirred.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Lewis and king play top six when things aren't working and he has no other options. Now however he does With lucic and a healthy Pearson The first player that will get put in the top 6 is brown They also have zykov or kempe a car ride away This year there is more options then lewis and king thankfully Having Ontario as the ahl club gives us more option then we had before.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
"I'm gonna play you 50 minutes tonight alright? You ready?"

Sutter-Touched-Drew.gif

Ignore Voynov, lol.

Sheng Peng

I just don't see Sutter playing a prospect on the 3 c spot when he has a proven veteran like Lewis

As a few have pointed out, Lewis is better suited for the wing. A big reason for that is he's not very good on faceoffs (won 43% his whole career), while that's been a calling card of Shore's since his college days.

Shore is definitely unproven, but I think he's who the Kings want to win the 3C job, as they seem to prize FO ability in that spot.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
As a few have pointed out, Lewis is better suited for the wing. A big reason for that is he's not very good on faceoffs (won 43% his whole career), while that's been a calling card of Shore's since his college days.

Shore is definitely unproven, but I think he's who the Kings want to win the 3C job, as they seem to prize FO ability in that spot.

Shore may win the 3c in time but not at the start of the season. As with any king player he ll have to earn his time and will not be given a spot over a vet. There is a reason Lewis gets picked to play in international competition his better then average defensive play. I think if you leave shore with brown and king the line will get exposed as they (brown king) are weaker defensively then you think and need Lewis 's defensively responsibility to make up for them Shore also made Clifford and Nolan better and i don't want to ruin that. Yes line will get the blender treatment during the year but i see it starting out with lewis 3 c and shore 4 c

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Lewis made team USA this year because they literally had no one else. I like Lewis and he is a hard worker, but he would never sniff Team USA in a best vs. best tournament.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Really happy about the Ehrhoff signing, seems like everything slides into place on the defensive end. I think the biggest question mark now is our bottom six centers.

That's pretty much it, Lewis' strengths are at wing and while he's good defensively I'm not completely convinced he's all that great as a defensive center. Great defensive winger for sure, but center? Every time they play him at center he got switched to wing a couple of games later. Kings are big on faceoffs and Lewis is completely garbage at them. Meanwhile, Shore posted a very good 53.8% in his rookie season and that was with a slow start.

Now I expect to see a healthy rotation between him, Shore and maybe Weal to some extent but I don't think Lewis will be able to lock down that position for long periods at a time.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it all develops. Really hoping Shore can take a big step forwards. The season can't start soon enough. Not used to these brutally summers anymore.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Shore is a better and smarter player defensively than Weal. It's his hockey IQ that had him fit into his role with Clifford and Nolan. Shore can play 3c or even 2c, and then you'd see a different style player, where his offensive skills come more to the forefront. I personally thought Clifford, Shore, Nolan was the best line the Kings had last year, considering what their expected role was. I expect Sutter will do what he can to keep it together. Also, I believe Shore has that quality that makes him a Sutter favorite, which never hurts a player.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Shore is a better and smarter player defensively than Weal. It's his hockey IQ that had him fit into his role with Clifford and Nolan. Shore can play 3c or even 2c, and then you'd see a different style player, where his offensive skills come more to the forefront. I personally thought Clifford, Shore, Nolan was the best line the Kings had last year, considering what their expected role was. I expect Sutter will do what he can to keep it together. Also, I believe Shore has that quality that makes him a Sutter favorite, which never hurts a player.

People are REALLY sleeping on Shore (not saying you are). Statistically he was at least Weal's equal last season in the AHL. He was arguably the Monarchs MVP prior to his call-up. He's not a fourth line talent at all. Just because he excelled on that line and didn't light it up offensively, doesn't mean that's his ceiling. Name me another Kings prospect under this leadership who didn't light it up on his first call-up to the big leagues? The list is long. Most were sent back down rather quickly, whereas Shore had to stay up because of the Richards situation.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
I am really looking forward to seeing Voynov after a year away from the game. He was one of the top ten #2 dmen in the game prior to his ACHL/stupid off ice actions and I have to imagine that he is going to come back loaded for bear and ready to put this all behind him. He will definitely make our D that much more loaded.

A D where we have a generational talent in DD a very solid #2 in Muzzin and a very solid #2/1b in Voynov puts us right at or near the best D corp in the game. Add in A Mart who will be able to slip back into playing a solid two way 15 mins per night where he excels and a developing stud in McNabb and we are looking great for our top 5. Then it comes down to Ehrhoff staying healthy Greener getting his managed minutes and McBain as the #7. Forbort is ready up the road in case anything goes wrong and also to get his feet wet this year before playing full time next season and our D is back on top.

As for Lewis I left him out of my line up on accident but he slots in to a utility player in our bottom 6 with the ability to join the top 2 lines if needed. I don't think he should be our #3C on opening night but agree that he most likely could be. Shore has proven enough to where he can handle the 3C spot and Lewis can always shift to wing or step in when and where he is needed. He is more than a 4rth liner but then I like the way he has been used the past season or so. Move a guy with his speed and D game around and it causes wrinkles in our opponents game plan(s).

Do the same with Weal while he is learning the ropes. I really like our roster this coming season. Lots of fresh legs two good (one of them great) goalies and the know how to win it all when it matters. DL has set us up and now it is up to us to do the rest.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'm not expecting much from Shore or Weal next year, they're rookies. If they do well, then that's a big plus. I just hope someone can fill that 3C void.

Erhoff is a solid signing, especially considering he plays on the right side.

Last edited:

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle

Nolan can score from the blue line whenever he wants. Serious 3rd line scoring threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad