News Article: Kings sign 5 RFA's

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Jun 29
After termination of Mike Richards' contract, LAK face cap recapture penalty of $1.32M per year for each of the next five years.

didnt sounds like he was speculating to me but ok and yes i was wrong its 1.32 for five years not 1.65

That is what the Kings face but you aren't taking the fact that what the team did will most likely grieved by the NHLPA. And so this number could change depending on the ruling. He's stating what the recapture would be if it stays in effect. Which there is no guarantee it will and as a matter of fact taking everything that has happened in every other sport most likely not to stand unfortunately.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
That is what the Kings face but you aren't taking the fact that what the team did will most likely grieved by the NHLPA. And so this number could change depending on the ruling. He's stating what the recapture would be if it stays in effect. Which there is no guarantee it will and as a matter of fact taking everything that has happened in every other sport most likely not to stand unfortunately.

I am only stating the fact that we will face something of a recapture effect regardless of the arbitrators ruling as we should All it will mean is how much The person i quoted stated we get rid of the whole thing which we will not. At best it will be the 1.32 for 5 years at worse its the 10 year hit imo

Ron*

It's a binding ruling. So say he says the team didn't have ground to terminate him. He is then reinstated as a player on the team. We could hope the team has some kind of agreement in place they could buy him out. But that is actually against the CBA. So the NHLPA might even fight that forcing the team to take him back for the year and buy him out next.
If the Kings lose it could get very ugly for the cap implications.

Guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

It's not an "all or nothing" proposition here. Kings are not going to face anything worse than what they would have done in the first place and that everyone in the world knew what they were going to do if this border incident hadn't had ever happened. A buyout.

Ron*

it looks like the mayor seems to agree with us having a 1.32 recapture penalty http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/07/la-kings-2015-16-projected-lineup-and-salary-cap-review/

If The Crossing Guard truly believes that Weal is going to replace Nolan in the starting lineup, well...well, I guess that's why he's The Crossing Guard.

SchoolCrossing.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
forbert is the one that will go down He doesn't have to clear wavier i think

I agree, and the good news there is how close the AHL team will be this year. It's not a long, drawn-out move to ship guys back and forth anymore, and that's a huge difference imo.

Captain Mittens*

If The Crossing Guard truly believes that Weal is going to replace Nolan in the starting lineup, well...well, I guess that's why he's The Crossing Guard.

SchoolCrossing.jpg

This picture defies the law of dimishing returns. It gets funnier everytime I see it.

I just wish he had fuzzy dice around his neck.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Jun 29
After termination of Mike Richards' contract, LAK face cap recapture penalty of $1.32M per year for each of the next five years.

didnt sounds like he was speculating to me but ok and yes i was wrong its 1.32 for five years not 1.65

That's what it will be if LA's contract termination holds up (assuming the NHLPA grieve it). If it doesn't, LA would be on the hook for the buy out amount (assuming they buy him out which I assume they would).

I don't see McBain being sent down nor do I see him clearing waivers.

If they send him down during camp, he'll clear. Teams aren't going to claim a #7 during camp.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I am only stating the fact that we will face something of a recapture effect regardless of the arbitrators ruling as we should All it will mean is how much The person i quoted stated we get rid of the whole thing which we will not. At best it will be the 1.32 for 5 years at worse its the 10 year hit imo

Actually he didn't. Reread it. He said we could be on the hook for the whole thing this year if the arbitrator ruled against the Kings. Which would be the worst case. They rule against us and decide that since the buy out window has passed we can't buy him out until next year. Meaning we need to come up with another 4.43M in space this year.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Actually he didn't. Reread it. He said we could be on the hook for the whole thing this year if the arbitrator ruled against the Kings. Which would be the worst case. They rule against us and decide that since the buy out window has passed we can't buy him out until next year. Meaning we need to come up with another 4.43M in space this year.

It would be funny, but the math is a little off... 5.75-1.32=4.43 but if he is added on the 23 man roster that moves off an additional 600k....

Now if Richards were to come back and be sent to Ontario saving 950k and replaced with someone making 600k, there would be additional savings...

So waiving Richards would cost Green/Clifford, or Brown, if Richards couldn't be traded with salary retained... Max retention would be about 1.75M

This is almost as entertaining as the Voynov debacle...

SkateFreak

Aug 25, 2010
Florida
I can see Kings, Ducks, and Sharks all carry 22 team roster. Then when Kings, Sharks, or Ducks go on a road trip pass middle of US or Canada they recall that extra guy.

Also read Shore doesnt have to pass through waivers since he signed when he was in College. Guess its in NCAA and NHL CBA or whatever. Guessing Dowd is in same thing also cuz i think he came from College also.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I can see Kings, Ducks, and Sharks all carry 22 team roster. Then when Kings, Sharks, or Ducks go on a road trip pass middle of US or Canada they recall that extra guy.

Also read Shore doesnt have to pass through waivers since he signed when he was in College. Guess its in NCAA and NHL CBA or whatever. Guessing Dowd is in same thing also cuz i think he came from College also.

It's not about the NCAA, but it does concern age of signing the first NHL contract, number of professional seasons, and NHL games played. That determines your waiver status.

WAIVEelig.jpg

The rule of thumb is the starting on your 2nd contract you start waivers, but it's due to it's how it works if you sign at 18 or 19 and graduate to pro at 20. CHL players generally do that.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
forbert is the one that will go down He doesn't have to clear wavier i think

Forbort, wherever they have him next year, will be playing. In other words, they might feel his minutes are low playing with the Kings, and then send him down to log more minutes. If he's up, I doubt you see him being the healthy scratch on D too much.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I was surprised at the LoVerde signing. They could at some point have McBain, Schultz, and LoVerde logging minutes in Ontario. That seems like a lot of older guys. It will make it harder for guys like Leslie, Ebert, Cernak, Lituemni, etc. to see minutes. Gravel will get minutes and so will Forbort when he's back down. Another logjam! It'd be different if they sat these older guys too a little bit, but they never did.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
It's not about the NCAA, but it does concern age of signing the first NHL contract, number of professional seasons, and NHL games played. That determines your waiver status.

WAIVEelig.jpg

The rule of thumb is the starting on your 2nd contract you start waivers, but it's due to it's how it works if you sign at 18 or 19 and graduate to pro at 20. CHL players generally do that.
For Shore, the question is he 3 yrs from signing his contract. He signed after the college season while the pro season was still going on. I believe it was a SPC, and not an ATO. So, for ELC purposes, that time coming right after college counted as a year, which led him to being a RFA now. However, for waivers, the time after college didn't count as a year because he didn't play one pro game. So, I think he still doesn't have to clear waivers until he reaches 80 games. He had 30 or so last year? Anyway, I don't know this for sure, any thoughts?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
For Shore, the question is he 3 yrs from signing his contract. He signed after the college season while the pro season was still going on. I believe it was a SPC, and not an ATO. So, for ELC purposes, that time coming right after college counted as a year, which led him to being a RFA now. However, for waivers, the time after college didn't count as a year because he didn't play one pro game. So, I think he still doesn't have to clear waivers until he reaches 80 games. He had 30 or so last year? Anyway, I don't know this for sure, any thoughts?

Yup you got it. Only thing to clarify is that since Shore doesn't start the season waiver eligible he remains non-eligible for waivers for the whole season. You status at start always stays. So even after getting to 80 games Shore will remain non-eligible for waivers this year. He'll be waiver eligible next year no matter what.

Captain Mittens*

So has the NHL assigned an arbitrator and made any public comment as of yet? I pay close attention and haven't seen anything.

Regarding Richards? The PA hasn't filed a grievance or said a peep yet after their initial statement

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Forbort, wherever they have him next year, will be playing. In other words, they might feel his minutes are low playing with the Kings, and then send him down to log more minutes. If he's up, I doubt you see him being the healthy scratch on D too much.

forbort can go to the ahl without going thru wavier He maybe better then McBain however he can go up and down to the ahl without risk and will be the player doing so not anyone else. Just like every young player before him he will earn his time.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I agree, and the good news there is how close the AHL team will be this year. It's not a long, drawn-out move to ship guys back and forth anymore, and that's a huge difference imo.

Mr Doty we rarely see eye to eye on things but with this we agree 100% i think. I see alot more going down and up from ontario, I see Forbert mersch kempe zykov and a few others getting a cup of nhl coffee at some point. I think this may solve my issues with King I do like him (despite what most think) if hes kept in a bottom 6 role.With ontario so close i see a injury in top six filled by mersch kempe zykov etc not King. They will be close enough to bring up for a game on game day if needed. Hell morning skate if ill could bring someone up. This helps us in a huge way ,,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad