News Article: Kings sign 5 RFA's

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
whats the cap space now? with Voynov's suspension and Richards buyout

The reality is it doesn't matter at this point. The Kings are not going to sign anyone else. They have to wait to find out how the Richards and Voynov saga's play out. They want to bring Slava back. There is enough space to do so unless Richards does not play out the way they expect.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
whats the cap space now? with Voynov's suspension and Richards buyout
The Richards cap hit could be his whole 5.75 if the termination gets tossed. The VV ankle injury I think makes it so the Kings don't start the season with him as a daily hit. And, depending on further matters, he might not be a hit at all this year! I highly doubt the LTIR option is available to the Kings this year related to the Domestic stuff. So, when he's ready to play after injury, and the league doesn't terminate him, etc., the Kings will begin having a daily cap hit with him. Of course, they could trade him or put him on waivers and send him to the minors. Sending to the minors would only eliminate about $900k of his cap hit. So, I think DL begins the season and tries to bank daily cap space as much as he can, with the hopes that maybe these two guys don't somehow end up wiping it all out.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The reality is it doesn't matter at this point. The Kings are not going to sign anyone else. They have to wait to find out how the Richards and Voynov saga's play out. They want to bring Slava back. There is enough space to do so unless Richards does not play out the way they expect.
We agree.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This is true, but the Kings have carried 8 D in the recent past. Also I believe McBain is signed to a 2 way deal so he may be the patch until Voynov comes back.

What's sticking out to me with Brown in the line up, it almost forces Lewis to center.

I agree, it's either third- or fourth-line center or fourth-line right wing.

Ron*

CAP chart updated. We now have less than $1.5 MM in CAP space. A total margin of 2%.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
CAP chart updated. We now have less than $1.5 MM in CAP space. A total margin of 2%.

That's just enough to float one or two injuries that require IR but not LTIR… Deano is going on vacation - this is the roster we're going to see come training camp...

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The Richards cap hit could be his whole 5.75 if the termination gets tossed. The VV ankle injury I think makes it so the Kings don't start the season with him as a daily hit. And, depending on further matters, he might not be a hit at all this year! I highly doubt the LTIR option is available to the Kings this year related to the Domestic stuff. So, when he's ready to play after injury, and the league doesn't terminate him, etc., the Kings will begin having a daily cap hit with him. Of course, they could trade him or put him on waivers and send him to the minors. Sending to the minors would only eliminate about $900k of his cap hit. So, I think DL begins the season and tries to bank daily cap space as much as he can, with the hopes that maybe these two guys don't somehow end up wiping it all out.

nope according to MacKenzie we have to pay recapture cost 1.62 (more then buyout for this year) but for only 5 years.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
nope according to MacKenzie we have to pay recapture cost 1.62 (more then buyout for this year) but for only 5 years.

Sorry but he is speculating.
Granted he is one of the best insiders out there. But this is uncharted territory. We don't know what the arbitrator will do if he rules against the team.

Captain Mittens*

Friedman said early on that at worst the Kings would be stuck with the cap hit from the buyout

Ron*

Granted he is one of the best insiders out there. But this is uncharted territory. We don't know what the arbitrator will do if he rules against the team.

It's not up to the arbitrator in terms of salary or CAP issues. The arbitrator would simply rule either for Richards or against him.

One would assume that Richards will get his entire salary back if the arbitrator rules in his favor and that the Kings would face the buyout scenario in regards to the CAP as though the contract termination never would have taken place. These are reasonable assumptions and no doubt the league has already informed the Kings what their decision would be in regard to the CAP should they lose.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I disagree arbitrator has nothing to do with it. This is a cba thing that they would be stuck with some sorta pay out no matter how he leaves the team since they didnt buy him out when they could have

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
It's not up to the arbitrator in terms of salary or CAP issues. The arbitrator would simply rule either for Richards or against him.

One would assume that Richards will get his entire salary back if the arbitrator rules in his favor and that the Kings would face the buyout scenario in regards to the CAP as though the contract termination never would have taken place. These are reasonable assumptions and no doubt the league has already informed the Kings what their decision would be in regard to the CAP should they lose.

It's a binding ruling. So say he says the team didn't have ground to terminate him. He is then reinstated as a player on the team. We could hope the team has some kind of agreement in place they could buy him out. But that is actually against the CBA. So the NHLPA might even fight that forcing the team to take him back for the year and buy him out next.
If the Kings lose it could get very ugly for the cap implications.

Captain Mittens*

It's a binding ruling. So say he says the team didn't have ground to terminate him. He is then reinstated as a player on the team. We could hope the team has some kind of agreement in place they could buy him out. But that is actually against the CBA. So the NHLPA might even fight that forcing the team to take him back for the year an d buy him out next.

What if he (theoretically) can't leave Canada?

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
What if he (theoretically) can't leave Canada?

That would end up being a material breach for sure. However, if it turns out he can't leave Canada until a much later date, say March 2016 for example, then the breach wouldn't happen until then. He could play hockey until then, and it's doubtful any such determination has been made yet on such a thing, so the Kings couldn't possibly have used such the possibility of that happening further down the road as the reason to terminate. If teams could do that, we then it would really get out of hand!

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Jun 29
After termination of Mike Richards' contract, LAK face cap recapture penalty of $1.32M per year for each of the next five years.

didnt sounds like he was speculating to me but ok and yes i was wrong its 1.32 for five years not 1.65

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
It's a binding ruling. So say he says the team didn't have ground to terminate him. He is then reinstated as a player on the team. We could hope the team has some kind of agreement in place they could buy him out. But that is actually against the CBA. So the NHLPA might even fight that forcing the team to take him back for the year and buy him out next.
Me and you are on the same page! If termination gets tossed, he's back on the team, and the next buyout is next summer.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Another way to think of this is that I believe the arbitration role will be to enforce the CBA, not to work out a compromise between Richards and the Kings! But, it is uncharted waters, so who knows!

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Jun 29
After termination of Mike Richards' contract, LAK face cap recapture penalty of $1.32M per year for each of the next five years.

didnt sounds like he was speculating to me but ok and yes i was wrong its 1.32 for five years not 1.65

I believe the 1.65 number doesn't take into account the lockout year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad