News Article: Kings Should Trade Their First Round Pick

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Guryanov is a huge wild card. Not sure I have feelings on him yet. I think a team that has multiple 1sts or 2nds will gamble on him.

He's someone I'm hoping to do a video on. Doing Boeser next, then Senyshyn, then Gurianov. Hopefully you'll have some good footage to form an opinion before the draft.

Weird to think the draft is two weeks away now!

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Personally I'd hope someone falls to us or go with Connor/Meier/Svechnickov (Konecny if Lombardi can put his Michigan hate aside). I'm most intrigued to see where Guryianov and Bracco go this draft though. If no one falls at least personally wouldn't mind moving back and obtaining another 2nd next year to make up for the lack of a 1st. I think some great players are still available in the 20's that could easily surpass those taken in the teens. Like it has been posted all over though would any King's fan really be shocked if #13 was used in some form or way in a deal involving Richards? I agree easiest would be to just buy him out, but we aren't P. Anschutz and 22 million is no small sum to pay out.

To KotR Crouse is only highly debated as a top 5 maybe 10 pick. Find me even 3 posts in the entirety of all the Crouse threads on here that debate yet alone would question picking him ~13 (Thousands of posts to sift and pick from. Having followed all those threads I'll help you out it doesn't exist). Will have to agree to disagree where you stand without a single scout, reputable source, or fan who actually has watched him play outside of WJC/youtube agree. Nothing wrong with that though I've held blind hate against players myself before too.

Just so you know because this isn't the first time I've seen you write this but Konecny plays for the Ottawa 67s of the OHL and Connor will be going to Michigan next year. So Connor wouldn't be the guy Dean picks with the Michigan hate ;)

Don't know if others caught that :laugh:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think less and less about the draft being a crap shoot with every draft the current management team does

For perspective look at the kings draft's between 1997-2004 compared to 2007-present

I am excluding 2005 because even though DT drafted those players, DL developed them

I have been very critical of Taylor in the past, but you are not being fair by taking the two best picks in his entire run as Kings GM and not giving him credit.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This current management has made 1st round picks a crapshoot.

The Kings have drafted very well outside of the first round with this scouting team, but you are right about this. Their first round results are average at best.

Lewis and Bernier, not bad, but nothing to write home about. I had high hopes for Bernier but he may just be another Fiset.

Hickey, went way off the board here, has developed into a third pairing defender but not exactly who you want with a pick that high. Left much better players on the board.

Doughty and Teubert. The best pick and worst pick right here. Doughty is a superstar and Teubert was one of the worst picks of that decade.

Schenn was way overrated I thought from the start, people always mentioned his WJC stats but conveniently forget most of the damage was done against teams like France and he disappeared against Team USA and some other more powerful teams. Has developed into an average 2nd line player with huge holes in his game.

Derek Forbort will be an NHL'er, but just never really got better at UND. Projects as a 4-6 type d-man, nut a miss, but not a great pick either.

Tanner Pearson, I think he will slot in to the 2nd best player taken in round 1 by this management team. He has all the tools to be a first line winger in the NHL.

Now if you want to talk later rounds and UFA's then give this management and scouting team huge props. Simmonds, Toffoli, Muzzin, Martinez, Jones, Clifford

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The Kings drafting is precisely why this team won't fall off the face of the earth like most on here predict. 15 players on last year's team were homegrown. Keep supplementing in cheap, young, and above all hungry, talent.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Outside of the 1st round, the 2nd and 4th rounds have been the best for the Kings. In terms of players at the NHL level today. Still some additional prospects waiting in the wings from those and other rounds as well.

As long as that pipeline stays solid, whether it's a spot on the Kings, or having prospects that other teams want, it can't hurt the organization. If they can find a Fasching or McKeown before, you have to figure they can do it again, since they found a Simmonds and Martinez before Fasching and McKeown.

The tough part in staying a contender, is finding another Doughty or Kopitar.

Ron*

The Kings have drafted very well outside of the first round with this scouting team, but you are right about this. Their first round results are average at best.

Lewis and Bernier, not bad, but nothing to write home about. I had high hopes for Bernier but he may just be another Fiset.

Hickey, went way off the board here, has developed into a third pairing defender but not exactly who you want with a pick that high. Left much better players on the board.

Doughty and Teubert. The best pick and worst pick right here. Doughty is a superstar and Teubert was one of the worst picks of that decade.

Schenn was way overrated I thought from the start, people always mentioned his WJC stats but conveniently forget most of the damage was done against teams like France and he disappeared against Team USA and some other more powerful teams. Has developed into an average 2nd line player with huge holes in his game.

Derek Forbort will be an NHL'er, but just never really got better at UND. Projects as a 4-6 type d-man, nut a miss, but not a great pick either.

Tanner Pearson, I think he will slot in to the 2nd best player taken in round 1 by this management team. He has all the tools to be a first line winger in the NHL.

Now if you want to talk later rounds and UFA's then give this management and scouting team huge props. Simmonds, Toffoli, Muzzin, Martinez, Jones, Clifford

Doughty was a can't miss at number 2 overall, so that would make their 1st round even worse. Pearson was a steal at 30th overall.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Doughty was a can't miss at number 2 overall, so that would make their 1st round even worse. Pearson was a steal at 30th overall.

Pearson was selected in his third year of draft eligibility. That means he watched 449 picks go before him.

Captain Mittens*

I have been very critical of Taylor in the past, but you are not being fair by taking the two best picks in his entire run as Kings GM and not giving him credit.

There is to tell if they would have ruined them or not.
Kopitar could very well be half the player he is and Quick ,especially considering how the developed goalies, could easily been the next Adam Hauser.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
There is to tell if they would have ruined them or not.
Kopitar could very well be half the player he is and Quick ,especially considering how the developed goalies, could easily been the next Adam Hauser.

It amazes me how little people on HF take into account development into whether or not a draft pick pans out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad