News Article: Kings Should Trade Their First Round Pick

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This. According to DL, the Kings have an offer on the table, which has not been counter-offered yet. So they are still in negotiations.

Some of you keep saying Sekera isn't worth the $5.5 / $6 million. Sekera is worth what the market will pay him, and that's it. Some of you guys are acting like its your money, LOL. GTFO, and pay the man his money. We are going to need all the help we can get on the blue line, in lieu of the Voynov situation, and if that resolves itself favorably, then we are golden on blue. :)

The lack of a counter shouldn't be heavily impacted by the cap. While it isn't finalized, we know it'll likely fall between $69 mill and $71 mill, so he should have a pretty good idea what he'll be asking for. That's assuming he's making a cap-based offer to the Kings, which seems silly considering his demands should be based on the open market that is now just over three weeks away.

As far was what Sekera is worth, let me clarify, Sekera is not worth $5.5 million to the Kings in relation to their current cap situation and his overall value to the team.

Ron*

The lack of a counter shouldn't be heavily impacted by the cap. While it isn't finalized, we know it'll likely fall between $69 mill and $71 mill, so he should have a pretty good idea what he'll be asking for. That's assuming he's making a cap-based offer to the Kings, which seems silly considering his demands should be based on the open market that is now just over three weeks away.

As far was what Sekera is worth, let me clarify, Sekera is not worth $5.5 million to the Kings in relation to their current cap situation and his overall value to the team.

Agree to disagree.

You are good people. Smart, and with an avatar I can't get enough of.

Still agree to disagree. Betcha Dean gives him that $5.5 MM.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zacha going too high in the TSN polls. Can't imagine him dropping to us. I agree with whoever else said NJ is tagging him.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Agree to disagree.

You are good people. Smart, and with an avatar I can't get enough of.

Still agree to disagree. Betcha Dean gives him that $5.5 MM.

Replying to this solely to give Ron one more avatar peak.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Zacha going too high in the TSN polls. Can't imagine him dropping to us. I agree with whoever else said NJ is tagging him.

While I agree, we know that someone in that top 10 group is going to fall out. Happens every year and this top 10 seems so tight that it seems almost a guarantee someone will fall to 13. I doubt it's Zacha but I also doubt it's Hanifin and Button has him at 12(?). I doubt Barzal will fall either but I've seen lists wehere he's 16th.

Like one scout told me once, someone could be #2 on everyone's list but he could fall to 20th because all the teams have someone different at #1. That's going to be the case here, we'll get someone that's a top five on one teams list and likely top 8 on several lists just because the 12 teams ahead of us have several different players in their lists and the way the numbers fall, someone good will fall to us.

I'm usually all for trading up in a draft but this year I hope we don't. The price to do so will be insane this year I think given the hype and where we are we still should get a really good prospect.

I do hope DL finds a way to get another 2nd rounder though.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
To trade into the top 10, I'd say our 1st plus another 1st in the 20-25 range, or the value there of.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm assuming then that the general consensus would be that it's not worth it to only trade up a couple spots unless the difference means getting an guaranteed NHL impact player right away - which if I understand correctly, would be more or less the top 5.

I think that unless Futa/Yanetti/DL REALLY want someone, they aren't trading up. The kid is going to have to be special big time to pay to trade up. I think DL trades up only if someone starts to fall, like Strome or Hanifin or more likely Marner.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
I'm also thinking in terms of trading down a couple spots, if the guy we were targeting goes earlier than projected for example. Drop to 15-18ish, maybe snag a 2nd or something along those lines?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm also thinking in terms of trading down a couple spots, if the guy we were targeting goes earlier than projected for example. Drop to 15-18ish, maybe snag a 2nd or something along those lines?

Typically, trading down has shown poor results. Also, with this draft and the top 10-12 being so hyped, 13th is the prime spot to snag whoever falls.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
While I agree, we know that someone in that top 10 group is going to fall out. Happens every year and this top 10 seems so tight that it seems almost a guarantee someone will fall to 13. I doubt it's Zacha but I also doubt it's Hanifin and Button has him at 12(?). I doubt Barzal will fall either but I've seen lists wehere he's 16th.

Like one scout told me once, someone could be #2 on everyone's list but he could fall to 20th because all the teams have someone different at #1. That's going to be the case here, we'll get someone that's a top five on one teams list and likely top 8 on several lists just because the 12 teams ahead of us have several different players in their lists and the way the numbers fall, someone good will fall to us.

I'm usually all for trading up in a draft but this year I hope we don't. The price to do so will be insane this year I think given the hype and where we are we still should get a really good prospect.

I do hope DL finds a way to get another 2nd rounder though.

I have a gut feeling that Crouse will fall and that DL and co. will snap him up.

He seems very bland to me tho. I want someone a little more electric.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
Draft a forward with the potential to be a first line scorer, finally. The kings have a lot of 3rd and 4th line prospects in the system.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I have a gut feeling that Crouse will fall and that DL and co. will snap him up.

He seems very bland to me tho. I want someone a little more electric.
That would be epic over very awesome if he dropped to us. Arguing against him in the top 5 I'm in full agreement on. Arguing he isn't a top 10 though very tough.... Saying you'd be disappointed if we landed him with our pick? Crazy imo

People need to learn to look past #'s. Obviously the super high-skilled 5'x guy is more exciting. You don't pass on Crouse though if there.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
That would be epic over very awesome if he dropped to us. Arguing against him in the top 5 I'm in full agreement on. Arguing he isn't a top 10 though very tough.... Saying you'd be disappointed if we landed him with our pick? Crazy imo

People need to learn to look past #'s. Obviously the super high-skilled 5'x guy is more exciting. You don't pass on Crouse though if there.

If he falls to 13 and we pick him, I'm fine with it. That said, I still think at 13 he won't be the best player available. He'll be the safest pick by far for sure though.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

King
Mersch
Mistele
Auger

Crouse would be fine but LA has enough players similar in the pipe. Sound player and likely LA's pick if he drops. That's fine but I rather shoot for a possible 2cd/1st line type of scorer than a likely 3rd line banger.

I could be very wrong but I like Meier and Svechnikov more than Crouse. Even Konency maybe more than him. I'm no pro scout tho.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
King
Mersch
Mistele
Auger

Crouse would be fine but LA has enough players similar in the pipe. Sound player and likely LA's pick if he drops. That's fine but I rather shoot for a possible 2cd/1st line type of scorer than a likely 3rd line banger.

I could be very wrong but I like Meier and Svechnikov more than Crouse. Even Konency maybe more than him. I'm no pro scout tho.
What does a single name you listed have anything in common with Crouse outside of size? Do we not need a Chara in his prime because we have Forbort? lol

I'd instantly trade two copies of all four of those guys for Crouse without the slightest hesitation. I quite like Svechnikov myself and love Konency game. Personally barring someone dropping I see LA choosing between Meier/Svechnikov/Boeser (if off-board) and Konecny part the fact he is going to play for Red Berenson so kills that idea. People should really go watch if nothing else check the #s posted by Crouse once Bennett came back and he had someone or anyone at any decent level to play with. How would he not be BPA when ISS had him #3 all year, now still in their top 5, and numerous others have him ~5 with very few if any much lower. As I ask again does someone here know something professional scouts, analysts, etc don't know?

There isn't a single player on the Kings that truly compares to Crouse. Similar styles maybe sure, but no one is identical or brings everything like he does at the level he does. Honestly I wasn't big on Crouse and still agree he shouldn't be top 5. That said I truly hopes he blows up just because of all the hate he receives here on HF. It wouldn't shock me at all if he ended up like Getzlaf-Landeskog hybrid and same tier as Landeskog.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree that if Crouse fell all the way to us he'd be a no brainer pick. That's terrific value and I agree he's got a bum rap around here. I think him and Rantanen, though, are similar to players we have. That doesn't necessarily make them redundant or bad picks, it would just be funny if that's how it worked out--we finally have a draft pick we can use to take a high-end skilled forward and we end up with another prototypical Kings forward :laugh:

Edit: i"ve also been kind of shocked no one has compared him to Landeskog yet, that's the first I heard of it but I felt that way a little myself when hearing about his strengths. I'm likely missing something, because I haven't looked at him THAT much since I always assumed he'd be out of our reach.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
King
Mersch
Mistele
Auger

The only one of those four who has a semi-realistic chance of being a permanent top two line fixture is Mersch and obviously that's anything but a guarantee. You could package all four of those players together and never come close to being able to trade for Crouse. Crouse is listed as a potential top 6 player for a reason. Now I don't agree with those assessments but obviously some professional scouts think he could be an impact player at the NHL level.

Auger, King and Mistele aren't going to be impact NHLers. Mersch, I doubt it as well, though I do think he could be a decent offensive forward.

Just because we have a bunch of so-so prospects like Crouse -and I'd debate that Auger or Mistele or Mersch are comparable to Crouse- doesn't mean we ignore a potential stud prospect of that nature.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Yikes. Lots of Crouse love here.

If you say so I guess.

I think he is average or a little above. He just happens to have a huge frame so he gets a lot of love.

I wouldn't say bad pick if the Kings take him just not all that excited about him.

Mistele had a huge year and playoffs.

Mersch is doing it in the AHL.

Auger has size but probably not the scoring touch.

They all play a similar game.

Just saying given the choice between others projected around the Kings spot and Crouse it's not so easy for me. I think a game breaking scorer with a some more flash might make the team a little more rounded.

I don't think Crouse is the next Nash. Could be the next Primeau.

IF Crouse is the next Landeskog he should go as high as three. Guess it's all a wait and see game. Numbers are not everything. Neither is size.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you land Primeau with the 13th overall you're doing just fine...beats Jessiman :P

It takes more than a big frame to be ranked top-5 though. He's not just some big pluggy scrub. He'd be excellent value at 13. I'm just not excited about him because he's already a 2012-Kings-style forward and I'm looking forward to something a little more speedy and dynamic. That wouldn't make it a bad pick. It's moot because I doubt he falls this far anyway, but I think it's funny that he gets dropped for not being exciting enough rather than raised for having all the tools. I'd love to know what I'm missing from someone a little more in the know because it seems like many rankings have him high while a ton of message boarders have him lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad