News Article: Kings Should Trade Their First Round Pick

FPotvin39

Pad Stacker
Jan 18, 2007
So Cal
The Los Angeles Kings are in a sticky situation. For the first time since 2009, the Kings found themselves on the outside looking in on the playoff picture at the end of the regular season. The Kings are moving into the offseason with plenty of work to do with player contracts and little money to use. On top of that, the Kings have literally been handcuffed due to law trouble with players like Slava Voynov and Jarret Stoll. Needless to say, there’s a lot to get done.

At the moment, one bright spot on the Kings’ calendar has to be the 2015 NHL Draft. By not qualifying for the postseason this year, the Kings were able to keep their first-round pick in 2015. This year’s draft is supposed to be very deep in talent, so with the 13th pick in the draft, the Kings have a very good chance at grabbing some top-of-the-line talent.

Richards is mixed throughout the Kings’ problems in several different ways. Richards’ production has dropped off drastically, which contributes to the Kings’ on-ice product being down, and his $5.75 million cap hit is locking up a pretty chunk of change without the productivity that warrants that amount of cash.

Richards’ current production has dropped his trade value to an all-time low, and with a cap hit that large, general managers across the league probably won’t even pick up the phone when Dean Lombardi gives them a ring. But, what if Richards was packaged with a first-round pick in this year’s draft?

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-kings-should-trade-their-first-round-pick/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron*

tumblr_lrlinuX7VB1qg6v9wo1_400.gif

FPotvin39

Pad Stacker
Jan 18, 2007
So Cal
I think the Kings need to add. IMHO.

I agree, I think the Kings need to add as well. I was just curious as what everyone thought about the possibility of trading our first rounder. So far, It seems fairly unanimous that everyone thinks we should retain it.

Last edited:

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
We have great depth in our system, I agree. So why move our best 1st in a few years and likely for the next two as well when we have several other options IF we indeed are going to add to a deal involving moving MR.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Not 100% against it because you never know when a golden deal comes to your desk, but for now I'd rather they keep the pick.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I keep hearing that this is a deep draft and we could pick up a future top 6 player. While we have some strong prospects in our system, we're thin at possible top 6ers.

While we need to shed MR's cap hit, I don't think we can keep getting rid of our first round picks.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
If we use our high first now we won't have to worry as much when all of our core players start declining. Better than going all out now and really suck in the future. I am assuming we still have what it takes to win the cup for the next couple of years.

Unless we can get a really good 3rd line centre who is also young, but I highly doubt it; we can give up other assets for that. Giving it up for Richards is just too much.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Yeah, they need to restock the prospect cupboard a bit instead. We'll have no future if we keep trading picks away...

scryan

May 1, 2013
Mike Richards, Killing it in 2016.

Either way, this season SUCKED... LOTS of real problems and we were a couple points behind when we wont those cups. Think if no one broke themselves or significant others this season... It could have been decent.

Fix some stuff up and keep building, don't trade away picks...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Kings need a blue chip, elite prospect.

This. The Kings can have all the Derek Forbort's and Adrian Kempe's they want, you need the Kopitar's to win and this pick marks the best draft pick they have had since 2009. They haven't drafted higher than 29th since 2010. The Kings need to take a swing here, not trade away the pick to offset Mike Richards. A buyout is more preferable than that, assuming its an option.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think I'd rather buy out Richards and have this player (hopefully) ready to be a contributor by the time Richards worst buyout years come into play. If the Kings do buy him out, they are going to have a few lean years down the road barring a significant cap increase in that time.

Couldn't agree more Buddy. By the time the worst cap hit from the Richards buy out arrives the kid drafted with this pick should be on an ELC and playing with the Kings.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
No first round pick next year.
I am still hoping the Vegas team takes him in expansion.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
All depends on the return. For JVR, sure. For someone in the last year of their contract, GTFO!

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I thought we were getting Darnell Nurse straight up for Richards?

All kidding aside, kingsfan said it best, we can't keep trading high picks, especially with us already not having a first next season. Just buy-out Richards and deal with years 4 and 5, the other years really don't matter that much.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Are we forgetting the Kings of the 70s, 80s, 90s who barely kept any of their 1st round picks and squandered them away?

Great idea. While they're at it, also get rid of Kempe and Zykov and Miller and all other prospects for quick fixes.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If Richards is bought out, he will eat a larger chunk of the cap in a few years.

If the Kings keep the pick, they have a higher chance at drafting a player ready to contribute at the NHL level for low cost in a couple years.

It's almost like the opposite of the article.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad