Prospect Info: Kings Select LW Valentin Zykov 37th Overall

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Sharks drafted his QMJHL teammate 12 picks after Zykov, Gabryel Boudreau. They are both listed at LW, but they did play on the same line at times. Going to be interesting to compare the two over the years.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Who's he?

Runs a segment called hockeys prospects on XM Radio every week. He works for one of the magazines like McKeens or something. Usually really knowledgable and a good listen. next time I hear him I will pay closer attention.....liked the Zykov pick, also mentioned the Fucale pick, the Hagg pick and two or three others he thought got picked later then normal..one was a Pittsburg pick.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Runs a segment called hockeys prospects on XM Radio every week. He works for one of the magazines like McKeens or something. Usually really knowledgable and a good listen. next time I hear him I will pay closer attention.....liked the Zykov pick, also mentioned the Fucale pick, the Hagg pick and two or three others he thought got picked later then normal..one was a Pittsburg pick.

It's Russ Cohen and he works for HockeyProspect doing HockeyProspect radio. :)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
From Rosen, Yanetti on Zykov: "In talking to him, success in hockey for him means winning in the NHL...He didn't say playing in the NHL. Success to him means winning in the NHL."

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I hope both he and Maxim make it to LA at the same time.

They'd make a terrific comedy duo...it'd be a lot like the Indians' announcers in Major League, with Zykov being Uecker and Kitsyn as the colorman.

Reporter: How has your time in Los Angeles been so far?

VZ: Well I'm happy to be drafted and get to play NHL...very happy, um, and I work on my game, coaches...help me and...very happy to play hockey in North America. ...um, you have anything to add Max?

MK: No.

KingKopitar11*

If Kitsyn stands out at camp would there be a chance he makes it?

Captain Mittens*

To Whoever Adam Jacobs is: Adam, you did a great job on this! Please keep writing Kings articles for Yahoo! :)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Sharks drafted his QMJHL teammate 12 picks after Zykov, Gabryel Boudreau. They are both listed at LW, but they did play on the same line at times. Going to be interesting to compare the two over the years.

In the 1998 draft the Sharks and Kings also drafted two forwards from the same team. Hopefully this one works out better for the Kings than the last one did.

I really like this kids video, I hope he can be another Toffoli for the Kings. A goal-scoring lw is exactly what we needed in our system (just like with the big club).

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
It's Russ Cohen and he works for HockeyProspect doing HockeyProspect radio. :)

Awesome thanks, these 70 hour weeks have fried my brain if i keep this up i will qualify to become Flyers brass Anyways I like his segments, seems knowlegable. I love the pick, cant wait to see him evolve

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I heard both Mark and Mike had to push Dean around and "urge" him to make the deal with Edmonton to get the pick.

I think this is the difference now DL trusts these guys , in another thread they talk about Al Murray wanting to pick Lucic and DL wanting Joey (I THINK )Ryan and we picked ryan , these guys fight for their picks more or just more trust

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
In the post draft interviews they said that they never dreamed that Zykov would drop so far and that Dean was mulling over two defensemen to take in the late second round and was looking into moving up a couple of spots to ensure he got one of them, but when Zykov started dropping, and the scouts were starting to pound their fists on the table telling Dean to move up, he looked at the Fucale situation and started talking to MacT and made an agreement that if Fucale was taken before Edmonton's pick then they would make the trade. Dean and Hex trust their staff.

Hextall:

On the process of trading up to draft Valentin Zykov:
“Whenever you offer up three picks, you really want a guy, and our guys really wanted him. They’re banging on the table, and that’s exactly when sometimes quality is better than quantity, and as much as we liked the picks that we gave up, our guys really were banging on the table, and you’ve got to listen to your guys. That’s why you have them.”

Futa:

On whether using picks to trade up and select a highly-sought after player in Valentin Zykov in the second round of a draft in which they did not possess a first round pick represented a pretty good example of what the team wanted to accomplish:
Yeah. Again, everybody’s list is different. But he’s clearly a guy we had in a position where the alarms started going off. We actually had two defensemen that we really coveted that we were talking about taking late in the second round that we thought we might have to make a marginal jump up to, and Dean was working the phones for us to try and move up to address those defensemen, and then we kept looking at Zykov still being there. He’s a kid that he does a little bit of everything. He’s got the same agent as Slava. This kid is a bright, enthusiastic young guy. He dropped more F-bombs on the floor today than we could ever think of doing. So he’s got a lot of personality. Again, you hate to use it – there’s a Russian factor that scares you about kids using the KHL. This kid plays in a small market in Baie-Comeau. He scored 40 goals. He was the Canadian Hockey League rookie of the year. There’s still a lot of work, but that’s what we like about him, that from a physical standpoint, there’s still some growth. I mean, he’s 210 pounds. We know how much Darryl and our identity is heavy presence, heavy body. You’ve got a heavy presence, heavy body that’s not matured, not developed at the same tone that we need it at yet, and he’s got incredible tools. He doesn’t shy away from anything, and he’s got a North American personality, which has a great mix to it. So, absolutely. We threw it at Dean and said, ‘Let’s start packing some on here. Something we’ve really learned to do as a staff well, I think, is to climb up and down the latter, and to hit it – we actually just missed another guy that we were trying to package some picks with our second pick there, as well. But that’s what makes the draft fun, and this is a special kid.

Last edited:

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I was bored, so I looked up all 29 of the other reactions around the league to the pick and there was near zero negative comments surprisingly, but this thread was by far the funniest reaction (from page 1-6):

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1458127

I just checked the Montreal board, and by far they had the funniest reactions. Though now it's over they're so pumped about their 3 selections before Zykov went. Wonder if we'll see Fucale vs. Zykov discussions like Kopitar - Price.

germanative

May 27, 2004
I've seen Zykov a lot of time this year in Baie-Comeau. Great pick for the Kings. The only reasons why he falls to 37th is his nationality and he play in Baie-Comeau. Expect him to dominating the Q next year, with a strong team like Baie-Comeau (4 players drafted this year). The last time I've seen an dominating euro like him in the Q, it was Voracek.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I've seen Zykov a lot of time this year in Baie-Comeau. Great pick for the Kings. The only reasons why he falls to 37th is his nationality and he play in Baie-Comeau. Expect him to dominating the Q next year, with a strong team like Baie-Comeau (4 players drafted this year). The last time I've seen an dominating euro like him in the Q, it was Voracek.

Lombardi liked Voracek too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad