Prospect Info: Kings Select LW Valentin Zykov 37th Overall

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
GREAT pick. Worth the price to get a player we desperately needed in the system.

NOW GET SLEPYSHEV!

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Great pick, really wanted the Kings to get him. He's a tank with goal-scoring ability.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Listed in some places as a RW. Button compares him to Michael Ryder but with a bulldog attitude. English is great. Should fit in no problem.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I have his CSS final numbers report.

Its all 4's and 5's. Dean did a few short interviews but he said that they though he would be gone by the 20th pick and just kept workig the phones until they got a deal that would get them close enough to get their player.

He was listed by several people at 19th.

I know that Erne was a high priority player on our charts so I have to believe that Zykov was right there with him.

Much better than the 50th pick.

Happy with the pick.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Unbelievable pick. Plays both wings. Ranked No. 7 in North America in Central Scouting final ranking. Kings got a steal on this one.

CHL Rookie of the Year
QMJHL Rookie of the year
QMJHL Leading goal and point scorer for a rookie

ranked ahead of the likes of McCoshen, Horvat, Max Domi, Frederik Guathier, Kerby Rychel, Theodore... etc. etc.

Ron*

Do you guys think Zykov starts for the big club next season?

Which line?

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
2013DraftPick1_zps17e4fa78.png

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Which line?

Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves here? He barely turned 18 and 36 players were picked before him. No, I don't think he starts for the big club next season. Which line, really? And yes, you can rub it into my face if he does start on the LA Kings at 18 years old.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Which line?

He's 18 not even a chance.

He will be sent back to Jr's. The Kings are right up against the player roster cap at 47.

The Kings are done bringing up Kids early and ruining them.

Probably won't even be signed, cause the Kings can put him on ice for at least two more years before they have to offer him a contract.

Remember guys, Tanner Pearson was an overage player.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Which line?

I don't think so but should/could be in Manchester next year. And if he is blowing away the league kind of like TT did there. Then he gets his shot to move up. For 18 he is a big boy at just over 200 lbs.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think so but should be in Manchester next year. And if he is blowing away the league kind of like TT did there. Then he gets his shot to move up. For 18 he is a big boy at just over 200 lbs.

Pretty sure you have to be 20 to play in the AHL.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Unbelievable pick. Plays both wings. Ranked No. 7 in North America in Central Scouting final ranking. Kings got a steal on this one.

CHL Rookie of the Year
QMJHL Rookie of the year
QMJHL Leading goal and point scorer for a rookie

ranked ahead of the likes of McCoshen, Horvat, Max Domi, Frederik Guathier, Kerby Rychel, Theodore... etc. etc.

Truly. I liked his interview that Tony posted. He looks focused and determined and when asked about what he needs to improve he said (about 3 times) "I want to improve everything". Well guess what? He is coming to a team that will let you come to camp all Summer and train with some of the best trainers in the world. And he will improve everything. Gotta love it. 40 goals in reg season and another 10 in the playoffs. 50 goals, in his first season here...all at the age of 17!
(just turned 18 in May)

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
He is a couple of years away and at least one full summer with our training staff away from the NHL. He could make it to the AHL in 14 but he should spend another jr yr before he goes to the AHL year.

I have him as a character kid. Funny, locker room is good. Gets pissed when mistakes are made.

I have a one liner from him. When asked during interviews "where do you hope you end up playing?"

VK "Somewhere in North American".

What TEAM would you want to play for if you had your choice.

VK "I don't have a choice, do I (laughs) I want to play for ANY team in the NHL and will play hard wherever I go. They are all maybe my favorite team".

He said a bunch of things publicly and when I can find links to the interviews I will post them.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't forget Kitsyn is here now, as well. Kitsyn will probably be top 6 LW in Manchester. Then Mersch will finish his SR year in NCAA and be here the following year.

We are now looking very strong at LW for the future. Then there's Prokhorkin as well.

Ron*

Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves here? He barely turned 18 and 36 players were picked before him. No, I don't think he starts for the big club next season. Which line, really? And yes, you can rub it into my face if he does start on the LA Kings at 18 years old.

It was simply a question, not a statement. I wanted to get other posters' views on the guy.

You may need to work a little bit on your writing skills in terms of etiquette.`

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad