KINGS Rd 1 #11 overall GABRIEL VILARDI

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He's too young to play in the NHL next year. Please don't rush him, Blake.

I don't think he'll rush him. Kid's not even 18 yet. Keep him in Juniors next year and the AHL the year after. He needs to put some muscle on. He's got all the tools to be a skilled top center, so let him grow the right way.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think he has a good shot to make LA in 18-19.

He's not a small guy. The league is getting younger. Still not advocating he be rushed.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This is a highlight package from 2 seasons ago. Seems like a monster playing against boys. What I do like is a lot of different looks. Shots, dekes, passing. Good variety, hope he can translate to the nhl.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
A lof of good stuff over on the prospects board about him, including comparisons to Frolov:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1874883

Nice. His junior coach stressed he's a natural center, just played wing for the season. Also on that thread, a post from a former coach:

Puck Handling not the best ? I coached him for 3 full seasons his puck skills are great. His work ethic is off the charts as well. He had 29 goals in 49 games battling injuries. His shot is fine.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
I love this pick. I know Blake is no longer in playing shape but this kid's almost as big at 17.

Is DiPretro any good?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Nice pick, just what the doctor ordered. These kids get bigger each year, 6.3 200, I wouldn't kick sand in his face.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Excellent puck protection, likes to pass to teammates. So in a few years time will we be yelling "Shoot, Lardi, shoot!"

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Excellent puck protection, likes to pass to teammates. So in a few years time will we be yelling "Shoot, Lardi, shoot!"

You can guarantee that somewhere on the farm Sutters sporting a hard on, thinking about this kid skating around the boards holding on to the puck. One more lap vily boy

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Damn. Had a torn MCL before season, followed by an appendectomy in mid-November and then still led his team in scoring and goes on to win the Memorial Cup.

good read here and shows all 4 assists in round robin game in Memorial Cup:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/15/15692092/2017-nhl-draft-profile-gabriel-vilardi-scouting-report

reminds me of Jason Allison, when Allison was at his best. The fact that his hockey sense is good, plays 200 feet, and Rychel says he's the strongest in Junior Hockey from the faceoff circles in, I think he may only need 1 more year in Jr.

ISS Hockey - Feb. 6th: "Always been blessed w/size but his skill level & maturity has grown in leaps & bounds."

Bob McKenzie said he was the best player for Canada at the WJC camp and he got his knee injured by Rasmussen.

if he continues that path, there's no reason he won't be ready by 18-19 season...IF he's ready. Could always give him the first 10 games or whatever that mark is and see. It really seems his only weakness is skating and he's working on it with some trainer all Summer. It will improve.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Damn. Had a torn MCL before season, followed by an appendectomy in mid-November and then still led his team in scoring and goes on to win the Memorial Cup.

good read here and shows all 4 assists in round robin game in Memorial Cup:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/15/15692092/2017-nhl-draft-profile-gabriel-vilardi-scouting-report

reminds me of Jason Allison, when Allison was at his best. The fact that his hockey sense is good, plays 200 feet, and Rychel says he's the strongest in Junior Hockey from the faceoff circles in, I think he may only need 1 more year in Jr.

ISS Hockey - Feb. 6th: "Always been blessed w/size but his skill level & maturity has grown in leaps & bounds."

Bob McKenzie said he was the best player for Canada at the WJC camp and he got his knee injured by Rasmussen.

if he continues that path, there's no reason he won't be ready by 18-19 season...IF he's ready. Could always give him the first 10 games or whatever that mark is and see.

Would rather see him against men in the AHL(first) not NHL.

Don't do what NJ did with Pavel Zacha, and ruin the kid.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Will he make the team this upcoming season? If so, where does he slot in?

Thanks!!!

Not likely this year at all. He may have a legit shot in 18-19 though.

"Yannetti, on Vilardi’s skating being critiqued:I know what the knock is. The hockey cognoscenti’s perceived knock on him is his skating. I don’t find his skating to be subpar. I guess if you want to be critical and conservative, you could say his skating is slightly below average. I don’t know – those two Erie games in the Memorial Cup were as high-speed of a game as you could play, and he led both games. He was the dominant force in both games. Again, I don’t like in the players – Tyler Toffoli and Vilardi – but in terms of their skating, there was a very similar knock. Although their skating styles are different, they were both aesthetically non-pleasing to the eye. But in terms of the efficacy of their skating, they both got to where they needed to go, and they both got their faster than it looked like they got there. I view Gabriel’s skating as I don’t think his ceiling to improve is as high as Tyler’sceiling to improve his skating, but I certainly see when Gabriel’s ready to play in the NHL, I don’t see his skating as being anything worse than a normalized NHL skater."

Quote from LA Kings Insider.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know, but I think they will target a goalie if it's someone they covet. Need someone in the pipeline that's not picked off a garbage heap.

It was mentioned here:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-nhl-draft-20170622-story.html

Blake also cited their need for goaltending depth behind Jonathan Quick after the trade of Peter Budaj and subsequent failed experiment with rental Ben Bishop.

Blake also can address his primary needs through free agency and trades, but it’s imperative the Kings build up their system. Since 2012, only two players drafted by the Kings have played for them in the NHL — Jonny Brodzinski and Adrian Kempe.

that has to change...

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was wondering why he fell at first in the other thread but he's sold me. Doing what he did while being one of the youngest in the draft and getting over a knee injury and an appendectomy...that's huge size at his age too and he knows how to use it, and has a large set of skills. Really the biggest knock on him is ugly, awkward skating, not even that he's slow, just average, which is probably where the Toffoli thing comes from.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I think he has a good shot to make LA in 18-19.

He's not a small guy. The league is getting younger. Still not advocating he be rushed.

Agree, he's on the younger side in this draft (believe he is one of the youngest), go back to Windsor this year (maybe they trade him to a contender at some point), go get 40+ goals and 90-100 points in ~55 games (assuming he plays in the WJC).

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
GettyImages-800218750.jpg

http://lakingsinsider.com/2017/06/23/mark-yannetti-scouting-gabriel-vilardi-skill-set/
Yannetti, on what stands out about Vilardi�s dominance deep in the offensive zone:
His versatility offensively. He�s 6-foot-3. He�s not close to filled out yet, and he still has the ability to create depth and to create a line of protection � he�s got a physicality to him not due to hitting, not due to physical play, but because his line of protection, people have to take a long way away. He can make plays at length, plus, he can make plays in tight. He�s got the hands of a smaller guy. He�s an elite, skilled player, and his cerebral ability, his Hockey IQ � and id say more his creativity than his hockey IQ � is what really separates him. So he�s got the ability to create individual offense and to create complementary offense. It�s a win-win.

Yannetti, on whether it�s too early to project whether he�ll stay at center or move to wing:
Again, I said he�s versatile in the way he can create offense and he�s versatile in the position he can create offense from. Time will certainly tell. It�s nice � I view him equally as a center as a wing. Obviously I like the position of center better. It�s just a harder position to fill, and when a guy has shown he can fill it, it�s certainly your first choice, but as I said, time bears that. In terms of everything, there�s a development path we�ll create. In terms of the position he ultimately plays, that�ll just determine itself.

Yannetti, on Vilardi�s skating being critiqued:
I know what the knock is. The hockey cognoscenti�s perceived knock on him is his skating. I don�t find his skating to be subpar. I guess if you want to be critical and conservative, you could say his skating is slightly below average. I don�t know � those two Erie games in the Memorial Cup were as high-speed of a game as you could play, and he led both games. He was the dominant force in both games. Again, I don�t like in the players � Tyler Toffoli and Vilardi � but in terms of their skating, there was a very similar knock. Although their skating styles are different, they were both aesthetically non-pleasing to the eye. But in terms of the efficacy of their skating, they both got to where they needed to go, and they both got their faster than it looked like they got there. I view Gabriel�s skating as I don�t think his ceiling to improve is as high as Tyler�sceiling to improve his skating, but I certainly see when Gabriel�s ready to play in the NHL, I don�t see his skating as being anything worse than a normalized NHL skater.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I was wondering why he fell at first in the other thread but he's sold me. Doing what he did while being one of the youngest in the draft and getting over a knee injury and an appendectomy...that's huge size at his age too and he knows how to use it, and has a large set of skills. Really the biggest knock on him is ugly, awkward skating, not even that he's slow, just average, which is probably where the Toffoli thing comes from.

True, getting through 2 injuries / surgery. A big deal...
The skating - that's why he reminds me of Jason Allison. The skating, but power and protection, smart and can make plays in tight...good on boards, behind net and
puck protection. And led his team to Memorial Cup. Would project to about 88 points if he played all games.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
from Mayor's Manor:

“We were looking to upgrade our skill, and we did,†noted Kings Assistant General Mike Futa. “He’s a big kid with an incredible skill package and he’s a winner.â€

Despite missing time due to two separate injuries – knee and appendicitis – he still managed to lead his team in scoring.
Vilardi also was named a Memorial Cup All-Star for his performance in the tournament. And he is a huge fan of New York Islanders center John Tavares.
At the NHL Scouting Combine, just prior to the NHL Draft, Vilardi skipped the lower body fitness testing due to some soreness in his right hip and back. This was said to be due to some tiredness coming off the long playoff run. However, he did participate in the upper body and stationary bike tests. In the end, Vilardi posted the second-best fatigue index (33.8) among all prospects tested.

This might be part of the reason he fell to 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad