KINGS Rd 1 #11 overall GABRIEL VILARDI

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
BIRTHYEAR 1999-08-16 BIRTHPLACE Kingston, ON, CAN
AGE 17 NATION Canada
POSITION C SHOOTS R
HEIGHT 6'2" WEIGHT 192 lbs

Does not turn 18 until August 16. One of the youngest players in the draft.

2016-17 Windsor Spitfires OHL 49 29 32 61 12 13 | Playoffs 7 2 4 6 4 1

7 points (all assists) in 4 Memorial Cup Games. 2016-17 Windsor Spitfires M-Cup 4 0 7 7 0 2

The Mayor John Hoven‏ @mayorNHL
Just caught up w/ Warren Rychel re: Gabe Vilardi - "Hockey rat, never comes off the ice, strongest CHL player from offensive circles down"
Rychel is part owner of the Windsor Spitfires.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Gabriel-Vilardi

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286867

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2017/...file-gabriel-vilardi-dallas-stars-first-round

A dangerous two-way center who stays poised, calm, and composed in all situations. Individual puck skills are at an elite level and he is able to play a finesse role. Makes excellent decisions with the puck and showcases a well-rounded understanding of both the offensive and defensive game. Uses his size to his advantage and keeps the opposition guessing because he is able to do so many different things, including: taking it himself to the net and powering through, making a seeing-eye pass, or holding off to piggyback a possession play. He already plays a mature yet dynamic game, and that indicates success for a long time at higher levels. All-in-all, a dexterous 200-foot player who is a consistent threat every time he is on the ice. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017)

Gabriel Vilardi's Player Profile

Mike Morreale - Mar. 20th: ""The enhanced stats tell us [Vilardi] is the engine on this team because whoever plays with him, their Corsi numbers go straight up and are increased," [Windsor coach Rocky] Thompson said. "Without him, they drop significantly. We've had a ton of injuries this year so it's been a revolving door with our lines but the one common theme has been Vilardi's ability to make the players with him even better.""

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet - Mar. 8th: "Probably Windsor’s most consistent player this season. Plays wing, but is a natural centre and has played a few games at that position. Almost a full year younger than Nolan Patrick."

ISS Hockey - Mar. 6th: "Starting to heat up with 14 points in 10 games during February -- just in time for the playoffs."

ISS Hockey - Feb. 6th: "Always been blessed w/size but his skill level & maturity has grown in leaps & bounds."

Mike Morreale NHL.com - Jan. 20th: "A puck-possessing workaholic with skilled hands and outstanding awareness. A right-shot forward, Vilardi (6-3, 201) has excellent hockey sense and puck-handling ability, is very composed with the puck and able to influence the game in all three zones."

Future Considerations: "A dynamic and often brilliant offensive attacker…has skilled hands and outstanding awareness…looks to set up his linemates with timely passes, but can also finish off the play when the opportunity is there…has nice size and uses it to protect the puck…has a quick jump and agility on his feet, but is not really a speed demon screaming up the ice…plays aggressively both when his team does and does not have the puck; often hunting it down and stripping it from his opponent."

Dennis Schellenberg Hockey Prospectus - Nov. 9th: "Vilardi has both great playmaking skills as well as the ability to finish off plays using his hard and accurate wrist shot. Due to his size, he is hard to separate from the puck and uses his long reach to protect the puck successfully. "

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/la-k...-the-no-11-pick-at-2017-nhl-draft/c-290089728

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You guys just got the best prospect in the draft at 11.

This is going to be a Kopitar-like steal.

Congrats guys.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Can't believe he fell all this way. Really excited to have him. He sounds like a Kings-type player, too!

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
SEVERELY AWESOME!!!

Had 7 assists in 4 Memorial Cup games.
2016-17 Windsor Spitfires M-Cup 4 0 7 7 0 2

2016-17 Windsor Spitfires OHL 49 29 32 61 12 13 | Playoffs 7 2 4 6 4 1

Not sure why he played only 49 games, but a full season projection would be about 42 goals 28 assists, 90 pts.
ALMOST A FULL YEAR YOUNGER THAN PATRICK. 6'3" 201 LBS.
Does not turn 18 until August 16.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I was 100% sure Vilardi would go in the top 5 maybe even go 3rd. I could not be any happier with this pick.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The fact that he's was able to accomplish what he did while being so young is very impressive. Should have a huge season in the O this year.

There's really not a whole like to dislike about him.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Easily the steal of the draft. I think I can say the vast majority of Coyote fans wanted him at 7 if we had the puck, but we didn't expect him to be there. You guys got him at 11. I mean, **** you guys, and congrats.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I don't know nearly as much about prospects as most of you guys but this seems like a great pick. One thing is for sure, the kid looked REALLY happy to be taken by the Kings!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't know nearly as much about prospects as most of you guys but this seems like a great pick. One thing is for sure, the kid looked REALLY happy to be taken by the Kings!

No kidding, I'm not sure if it was relief or excitement but we are certainly happy to have him!

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'm ecstatic with this pick. No matter how his career goes, I'm just glad we took what was far and away (IMO) the best player available.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
@dennisTFP
More on Kings Vilardi from frequent scout: "May be able to make NHL next year with their scoring woes. Tyler Toffoli comparable." (2/2)

Interesting...

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Will he make the team this upcoming season? If so, where does he slot in?

Thanks!!!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Will he make the team this upcoming season? If so, where does he slot in?

Thanks!!!

Doubt it,

He does not posses NHL skating, it's why he dropped to 11th.

He will most likely go back to JR hockey, round out his game.

Don't do what NJ did with Pavel Zacha, and ruin a young guy.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Reading the prospect thread on him, I cant believe he fell to us. So many felt he was top 5 for sure if not even better. Superb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad