KINGS Rd 1 #11 overall GABRIEL VILARDI

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
@dennisTFP
More on Kings Vilardi from frequent scout: "May be able to make NHL next year with their scoring woes. Tyler Toffoli comparable." (2/2)

Interesting...

That would be a mistake. Let him go back to junior and continue to develop his game and dominate at that level for atleast another season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
@dennisTFP
More on Kings Vilardi from frequent scout: "May be able to make NHL next year with their scoring woes. Tyler Toffoli comparable." (2/2)

Interesting...

I get the Toffoli comp due to his great shot, high IQ and skating issues.

He's already as big as Tyler, however.

Lot of Jason Allison in him around the net. From the highlights, I love the little 7-10 foot passes he makes.

Would also like to say it feels pretty good right now to have not moved the pick to Vegas for a cap dump. Not that it was even an option, but a player with this potential is needed much more than cap space for a weak UFA next season.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I get the Toffoli comp due to his great shot, high IQ and skating issues.

He's already as big as Tyler, however.

Lot of Jason Allison in him around the net. From the highlights, I love the little 7-10 foot passes he makes.

Would also like to say it feels pretty good right now to have not moved the pick to Vegas for a cap dump. Not that it was even an option, but a player with this potential is needed much more than cap space for a weak UFA next season.

Word around the Kings is they are happy with Dustin Brown's play from last season (also his leadership). May have never even shopped him.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Nice to get a big young center into the pipeline. Hoping the Kings can improve his skating at camp this summer, and the kid goes back to Windsor and shows lots of progress.

Maybe a potential Kopitar replacement down the line. No one expected him to fall to #11. Probably the best player available, and at a position the Kings need help.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Wow... I was pushing for Pettersson forever. Never thought Vilardi would dropped. In an off chance I thought Glass, Mittelstadt, or Pettersson. Never Vilardi. Had him at Pettersson in my top five. So happy right now. Amazing and should thank NYR for making it possible

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Kopitar , look at his stats as a 16 and 17 year old he performs in playoffs too. I'm loving this pick !!! Steal of the draft for sure wow .

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The Mayor John Hoven‏ @mayorNHL
Just caught up w/ Warren Rychel re: Gabe Vilardi - "Hockey rat, never comes off the ice, strongest CHL player from offensive circles down"

WOW! And he's 17. Think how many 18-20 year olds in the OHL and
this kid's the strongest, offensive circles down? (per Rychel)

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Nice to get a big young center into the pipeline. Hoping the Kings can improve his skating at camp this summer, and the kid goes back to Windsor and shows lots of progress.

Maybe a potential Kopitar replacement down the line. No one expected him to fall to #11. Probably the best player available, and at a position the Kings need help.

I think he has a power skating coach lined up already. Better at 17 then 24 (McNabb).

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
from Mayor's Manor:

“We were looking to upgrade our skill, and we did,” noted Kings Assistant General Mike Futa. “He’s a big kid with an incredible skill package and he’s a winner.”

Despite missing time due to two separate injuries – knee and appendicitis – he still managed to lead his team in scoring.
Vilardi also was named a Memorial Cup All-Star for his performance in the tournament. And he is a huge fan of New York Islanders center John Tavares.
At the NHL Scouting Combine, just prior to the NHL Draft, Vilardi skipped the lower body fitness testing due to some soreness in his right hip and back. This was said to be due to some tiredness coming off the long playoff run. However, he did participate in the upper body and stationary bike tests. In the end, Vilardi posted the second-best fatigue index (33.8) among all prospects tested.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
All the picks taken in the top 10 had their names on their jerseys the Kings did not expect Vilardi being there at 11 because they didn't even prep for him lol. Awesome

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
His skating is a bit ugly at times, but he gets where he needs to go. Reminds me of Luc in his ability to find soft spots, seems like a bull along the boards. At his age, he will easily be able to get his skating up to NHL standards.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah I highly doubt Vilardi's gonna be in the NHL any time soon. I want this kid in the big club when he's 20, 21 at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad