Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Thomas is an interesting case, he'll probably need another season in Juniors, or more accurately he's not quite ready for the NHL, but not eligible for the AHL until 20-21 as he doesn't turn 20 until January 2nd.

A trade would make a lot of sense this off-season or into camp, as Niagara will be losing much of the top of their roster at the end of this season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Must be mentally tough for JAD to be back in the WHL.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how brutal a travel schedule that the junior guys have to endure. Spokane had a six hour bus ride to play at Vancouver on Friday night, then likely took a six hour overnight bus ride (and probably had to pass through customs too) to get to Kennewick for a Saturday night game.

I saw Spokane play at Portland back in December and the previous night they had played at Everett. It was immediately evident that Spokane didn't have the jump that the fresher Portland club had.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Sometimes it's easy to forget how brutal a travel schedule that the junior guys have to endure. Spokane had a six hour bus ride to play at Vancouver on Friday night, then likely took a six hour overnight bus ride (and probably had to pass through customs too) to get to Kennewick for a Saturday night game.

I saw Spokane play at Portland back in December and the previous night they had played at Everett. It was immediately evident that Spokane didn't have the jump that the fresher Portland club had.

Thanks for the info...are you a scout? Have always admired your insights and depth of QUALITY info.
Hands are tricky and may never be 100% the way they once were. Hope his healed and not affecting him.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/18 results:

Niagara won 5-2, Thomas had an Assist(52) and +2.
Mississauga won 9-4, Ingham stopped 39/43.
Guelph won 5-4 in OT, Durzi was scoreless and +1, Phillips was scoreless and even.
Owen Sound lost 2-1, Dudas had an Assist(27) and was even.

Thomas must have had an Assist taken away in a previous game.

2/19 games:

Sarnia @ SSM (Villalta)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thanks for the info...are you a scout? Have always admired your insights and depth of QUALITY info.
Hands are tricky and may never be 100% the way they once were. Hope his healed and not affecting him.

I wish! I have friends who have moved to Portland/Seattle, so I'm pretty shameless about inviting myself over at least once a year and dragging them to games.

I remember reading some scouting anecdotes at some point about how a scout can't plant himself in one spot and only see prospects when they come to town. Visiting players can play like garbage from the fatigue of traveling, so it might paint an unfair picture. That story was also a reminder of the unsexy side of the life of a scout. I can't imagine it's fun to be driving through the Canadian winter weather to catch games.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/21 results:

Niagara won 10-2, Thomas had a Goal(30), 2 Assists(54) and +2.
SSM won 4-2, Villalta stopped all 15 shots playing the last 40 minutes.

2/22 games:

SSM (Villalta) @ Kitchener
Erie @ Guelph (Phillips, Durzi)
Mississauga (Ingham) @ Oshawa
Kelowna @ Spokane (JAD)

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/22 results:

Guelph won 4-1, Durzi was scoreless and +2, Phillips had an Assist(15) and +1.
SSM lost 4-3, Villalta stopped 32/36.
Mississauga lost 5-3, Ingham stopped 24/28.
Spokane lost 4-3 in a SO, Anderson-Dolan was scoreless and even.

2/23 games:

Guelph (Durzi, Phillips) @ Flint
Peterborough @ Niagara (Thomas)
Erie @ Owen Sound (Dudas)
Tri-City @ Spokane (JAD)

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Regarding Prokhorkin:

As I understand it he signed a 3 year deal with SKA in 2016 so he's a free agent now. Kings still control his NHL rights?

If the Kings were able to sign him would it be an ELC? If so they wouldn't be able to pay him very much relative to what he could get in the KHL?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Regarding Prokhorkin:

As I understand it he signed a 3 year deal with SKA in 2016 so he's a free agent now. Kings still control his NHL rights?

If the Kings were able to sign him would it be an ELC? If so they wouldn't be able to pay him very much relative to what he could get in the KHL?

I always sit here googling these type of questions until I get fed up and download the CBA

(c) Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was
drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in
Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to
the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or
older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

So yeah, he has to sign a 1 year ELC or wait another 3 years.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Regarding Prokhorkin:

Correct on your question, although I think the Kings still own Porky's rights.

Porky's last contract he used the threat of going to the NHL to get his demands met from his KHL team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it again. He can make more money in the KHL, since he has to sign an ELC in the NHL.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Although if his KHL season's over now, maybe he could sign the 1 year ELC for this season, play a game, and then be RFA without ELC restrictions July 1?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Correct on your question, although I think the Kings still own Porky's rights.

Porky's last contract he used the threat of going to the NHL to get his demands met from his KHL team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it again. He can make more money in the KHL, since he has to sign an ELC in the NHL.

I think I said that on the prospect board, too. Porkins has used the Kings for leverage at literally every chance he's gotten. I wouldn't even be surprised to see him come over THIS year only to the KHL with a fatter contract by the start of next year (if that's legal).

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/23 results:

Guelph won 8-1, Durzi had a Goal(9), 2 Assists(26) and was +7(!). Phillips had an Assist(16) and was +1.
Niagara won 5-0, Thomas was scoreless and +2.
Owen Sound lost 5-4 in OT, Dudas had a Goal(23) and was +1.
Spokane won 2-1, Anderson-Dolan was scoreless and -1.

2/24 games:

Mississauga (Ingham) @ Kitchener
Niagara (Thomas) @ Owen Sound (Dudas)
SSM (Villalta) @ Sarnia

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just to be a Debbie Downer, Guelph played Flint who's been the laughingstock of the OHL since they relocated there.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/24 results:

Mississauga lost 5-2, Ingham stopped 27/32.
Niagara won 9-0, Thomas had a Goal(31), an Assist(55) and was even.
SSM won 5-4, Villalta stopped 32/36.

2/26 games:

Guelph (Phillips, Durzi) @ London
Spokane (JAD) @ Prince George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad