Rumor: Kings Not done...Exploring the Market for Toffoli

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yes. Blow it up. I would love nothing more than the Kings to be a mediocre basement team for at least the next decade and a half.
Better than being a team that’s always a playoff contender but never an actual SC contender... good but never good enough to actually win it..

Reactions: deaderhead28

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What are Kings fans feelings on Myers+ for Muzzin? Myers is a soon to be UFA and they can flip him for additional assets. Jets add Muzzin to their top for ideal partner for Buff.

Morrissey - Trouba
Muzzin - Buff

Would be a solid top 4 for a playoff run.

Would have to be a biiiiiiig plus. Thinking we could get more for Muzzin, like a real good pick and a real good prospect.

Yes. Blow it up. I would love nothing more than the Kings to be a mediocre basement team for at least the next decade and a half.

Still won't erase the pain you feel for being a historical footnote if you're still this mad at them :laugh:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
They traded a player with 2 more seasons for a player with a similar cap hit who is gone after this season. That move screams setting up for the future. I get that you only understand building for a futrue by trading for picks and prospects but in the NHL its not as easy as it is on forums or video games.
No, this is incorrect. Blake is clearing cap space to spend on another veteran target this off-season. He flat out refused to concede that the Kings need more than a piece or two to get back into contention. The willingness to trade Anderson-Dolan and the Akil Thomas pick in exchange for six years of Pacioretty, then the subsequent signing of Kovalchuk for three years gives every indication that he still (mistakenly) believes that this team can compete for the Cup.

His plan is to clear enough cap to make a huge Panarin-shaped UFA splash this summer. It's not a plan for the future at all.

He may get Mr. Magoo like lucky by failing his way into a top three pick because of his poor management, but it is not by design. Unleashing a healthy Vilardi, Panarin and an instant top offensive threat first round pick is the only way that will work, but the holes up and down the roster, especially on defense, will prevent this team from contention. Sure would be more fun to watch though.

Reactions: Legionnaire

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
No, this is incorrect. Blake is clearing cap space to spend on another veteran target this off-season. He flat out refused to concede that the Kings need more than a piece or two to get back into contention. The willingness to trade Anderson-Dolan and the Akil Thomas pick in exchange for six years of Pacioretty, then the subsequent signing of Kovalchuk for three years gives every indication that he still (mistakenly) believes that this team can compete for the Cup.

His plan is to clear enough cap to make a huge Panarin-shaped UFA splash this summer. It's not a plan for the future at all.

He may get Mr. Magoo like lucky by failing his way into a top three pick because of his poor management, but it is not by design. Unleashing a healthy Vilardi, Panarin and an instant top offensive threat first round pick is the only way that will work, but the holes up and down the roster, especially on defense, will prevent this team from contention. Sure would be more fun to watch though.
So planning for the upcoming off season isn't planning for the future? Hmmm some part of that just doesnt sound right.

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
Would have to be a biiiiiiig plus. Thinking we could get more for Muzzin, like a real good pick and a real good prospect.

When the dust settles I would imagine that you get a B-Prospect and a 2nd for him. MAYBE a 1st from a team that is a bit more desperate. I mean, what's your definition of a "real good pick and real good prospect"?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Danton Heinen for Toffoli straight up.

Heinen is 23 year old pending RFA coming off ELC. Left shot, but plays either wing. Had 47 points last year from 3rd line. He is a heady three zone guy. Can play on PP2 and PK1. Has a quick shot, but not a powerful shot. Thinks pass before shot. One of those guys that puts up good Corsi numbers, but doesn't wow you with size or skill. Loui Eriksson is a good comparable.

Bruins make the deal because they need a shoot first right shot for 2nd line. LA gets a similar quality (although of different type) player that is younger and cheaper and under longer control.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

Heinen is 23 year old pending RFA coming off ELC. Left shot, but plays either wing. Had 47 points last year from 3rd line. He is a heady three zone guy. Can play on PP2 and PK1. Has a quick shot, but not a powerful shot. Thinks pass before shot. One of those guys that puts up good Corsi numbers, but doesn't wow you with size or skill. Loui Eriksson is a good comparable.

Bruins make the deal because they need a shoot first right shot for 2nd line. LA gets a similar quality (although of different type) player that is younger and cheaper and under longer control.

Add a 1st rounder and you have a deal.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So planning for the upcoming off season isn't planning for the future? Hmmm some part of that just doesnt sound right.
The "future "is what lies beyond the Cup aspirations of the current core group, so yes, looking to add to this core believing that the window is still open for a group who has won one playoff game in four years is NOT planning for the future.

Doughty received confirmation from Blake that they were not planning a rebuild as part of his negotiations. You don't sign Kovalchuk for the future. You don't get bent over by Ottawa of all teams in the Phaneuf deal for the future.

This line of thinking is why the Kings have such poor results over the past 4 years and are currently the worst team in the league. They have traded too many picks, developed zero cost-controlled impact players and spent all their cap space to retain and acquire heroes of time past.

It's a broken franchise with no plan for the future.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When the dust settles I would imagine that you get a B-Prospect and a 2nd for him. MAYBE a 1st from a team that is a bit more desperate. I mean, what's your definition of a "real good pick and real good prospect"?

Muzzin is a top pairing d-man, #3 at worst. We're getting more than a 2nd and a b-prospect for him. Those guys are in high demand, especially on a good salary. That's either a 1st and a b-ish prospect, or a 2nd and an A prospect (not a blue chipper), or a damn-near blue chip prospect straight up. Maybe when all is said and done it's slightly less than that, but a 2nd rounder and a b-prospect would be an absolute fleecing, said team giving up next to nothing for top caliber D help. I'd consider it an absolute failure of a trade if we don't' get the equivalent value of at least a late 1st + a body for Muzzin.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville

I think Bruins need to add a pick with Heinen's slow start so far this season, but I'd love if they were able to do Heinen + 2nd. Kings likely would want the 1st.

Reactions: SoulAssassin

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Habs should be all over this. A deal for Muzzin and Tiffoli would be a huge benefit to the team and fill big holes. But i'm dreaming cause the price LA will want is likely something the Habs won't offer. I would assume that the untouchables for the Habs are (prospect wise)

C Pheoling
C/RW Suzuki
LD Romanov
RD Brook
G Primeau

For a Muzzin Toffoli deal just Suzuki and probably Brook would be untouchables for me !

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm curious to hear what you want Kings fans for Muzzin and Toffoli from MTL and of it's to expensive, just for Muzzin ?

Could a deal like this be interesting for you guys ?

Ryan Poehling
Cale Fleury
David Schlemko/Jordie Benn (Cap Dump )
Charles Hudon
A pick

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
LA has zero depth to replace Toffoli (or even Muzzin) so any trade is going to have to involve roster players coming back. At worst, the Kings are looking for a quick retool...not a 3-5 year rebuild.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Why would the Kings move this youngish guy ? Whether its win now or tomorrow he fits.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
The "future "is what lies beyond the Cup aspirations of the current core group, so yes, looking to add to this core believing that the window is still open for a group who has won one playoff game in four years is NOT planning for the future.

Doughty received confirmation from Blake that they were not planning a rebuild as part of his negotiations. You don't sign Kovalchuk for the future. You don't get bent over by Ottawa of all teams in the Phaneuf deal for the future.

This line of thinking is why the Kings have such poor results over the past 4 years and are currently the worst team in the league. They have traded too many picks, developed zero cost-controlled impact players and spent all their cap space to retain and acquire heroes of time past.

It's a broken franchise with no plan for the future.
The future is a move that makes you better tomorrow. Trading for hags to free up cap space is a move for tomorrow.... or you know that thing called the future.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Cannibalize young, go all in on dying Kopitar, Carter, Kovalchuk, Doughty, Quick core.

Realize they are at a dead end by late 2019.

Start rebuild and re-emerge by 2025-26.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Do you even think before you post? How in the world can the $37.5M be for the 3 of those guys when one only makes over 11m. That sum includes Tavares. Get your math straight jesus christ.

Since there was a misfire in your response, I thought I'd post this here.

If you check your post that I quoted – "That's $37.5 million for 4 of them in a rising cap" – the $37.5 million was for 4 players, including the hypothetical Doughty. I added Tavares at $11 million for ... let me count on my fingers ... $48.5 million for 5 players. Did I misunderstand?

Finally, I have never ever professed to be the Son of God.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad