Friedman: Kings may be interested in Steve Mason

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Mason is the better goalie between the two

Not sure why they keep looking to Neuvirth to platoon when he's a career backup and just played out of his mind last year.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It's always been clear that Mason is the stud of the team.

Maybe last year people just remember Neuvirth doing better in the playoffs, but Mason has been a consistent pillar for us these past 3-4 years.

It's a no-brainer who you keep between the two.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Mason is the better goalie between the two

Not sure why they keep looking to Neuvirth to platoon when he's a career backup and just played out of his mind last year.

They are not looking to platoon. Mason was our#1 goalie last year....and is this year. Neuvirth has always been a good backup that can step in for stretches at a time when needed. He is off to a rough start, but am confident he will turn things around. He always does.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Both flyer goalies are garbage....but Mason is better than LA currently has.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I'm gunna go ahead and assume their underselling Quicks injury if their shopping for goalies like this

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

I'm getting pretty tired of this know-nothing crap. Mason has a better cumulative SV% than Quick if you go back 1, 2, 3 or 4 seasons and he's had a far worse defence every single year.

If Mason is garbage, what the hell is Quick?

Kings may be interested, but we hang up the phone.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
well if Mason is garbage then...

Quick's SV% over the last 4 years is: .918, .918, .915 & .902
Mason's SV% over the last 4 years is: .918, .928, .917 & .916

and I think we can all agree that Quick has played behind the better overall team and certainly in front of a better defensive group as well

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
well if Mason is garbage then...

Quick's SV% over the last 4 years is: .918, .918, .915 & .902
Mason's SV% over the last 4 years is: .918, .928, .917 & .916

and I think we can all agree that Quick has played behind the better overall team and certainly in front of a better defensive group as well

Masson's save% is inflated because he gets shelled with a higher number of shots from playing behind a bad defense. We've seen this with other goalies, like Miller in Buff.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Masson's save% is inflated because he gets shelled with a higher number of shots from playing behind a bad defense. We've seen this with other goalies, like Miller in Buff.

Varly in COL as well

I still don't see the Kings looking anywhere as Budaj is playing well and Zatkoff will return next week.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Quick's sv% is inflated because LA plays a defensive game that doesn't allow for high% scoring chances.

See how much fun this is?

Edit: Before everyone goes analytics crazy - the point was to illustrate there's always a 'reason' or 'excuse' for something. You could just as easily say that his sv% is lower because he sees more shots, and thus lets in more goals that he would if he were to see less shots.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Mason's faced roughly an average of 3 more shots per game vs. Quick over that 4 year time frame
not a huge difference & not enough that would balloon his stats vs. Quick
& no way to quantify this, but one would assume, given that LA has been and is a better defensive team than the Flyers, that Mason has likely faced more high quality chances/shots against vs. a superior defense team in LA...

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

That's not even nearly right. We have a few more shots per game and surely a considerably higher quality of shot. He's got a harder job in Philly and does much, much better.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Even if that's true (which it has been proven to not be true)...isn't that just saying what SV% is? I think you're just further reinforcing that Mason does better work.

If all the shots he was facing were outside shots behind a curtain of a defense, then maybe you have an argument but trying to knock the guy for doing his job (stopping shots) is an odd argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad