Friedman: Kings may be interested in Steve Mason

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
Elliotte Friedman just dropped Mason's name as a possibility to LA & Brian Lawton said Mase for Charlie Coyle was discussed a yr ago. What?

Last edited by a moderator:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It makes some sense if you think about it, but Mason is a pretty solid starting goalie and I don't think Neuvirth is better than him. I guess it would just surprise me for the Flyers to go with Neuvirth over Mason.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
It makes some sense if you think about it, but Mason is a pretty solid starting goalie and I don't think Neuvirth is better than him. I guess it would just surprise me for the Flyers to go with Neuvirth over Mason.

Yeah not sure why Philly would do this, unless they absolutely love Stolarz and want to bring him up.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012

Mason might want 6mill plus a year he needs a new contract

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Anyone really think they're trading Mason after their last game?

Edit: Other then that I don't see the Kings spending assets for someone they don't plan on resigning.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Anyone really think they're trading Mason after their last game?

I just don't see what the Kings could offer to the Flyers when they player that their getting back is only a band aid until late December/January.

They would be better off just trading future considerations for Pavelec at this point if they want to get some type of veteran. Or you know, just go full tank with Zatkoff/Budaj.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
How would they afford Mason after Quick returns? Would they hope another destination opens up by then and flip him before the deadline? Seems a little odd to me, unless Philly retains, but then they would likely ask for more in return.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I just don't see what the Kings could offer to the Flyers when they player that their getting back is only a band aid until late December/January.

They would be better off just trading future considerations for Pavelec at this point if they want to get some type of veteran. Or you know, just go full tank with Zatkoff/Budaj.

This is what I'm on board for. Go full Leafs/Oilers/Buffalo!

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I see no reason for Philly to trade either goaltender at this point unless Lombardi wants to pay out his nose for a rental that he might not be able to afford against the cap, in the case of Mason.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Mason is a great goalie, however if anyone thinks Mason is going to post Vezina numbers because of the "drastic" difference in defense are fooling themselves. Flyers give up a lot of shots and are prone to WTF mistakes, however they're actually a team that forces the opposition to perimeter shots, and visible shots. They also play a style where they give up a lot of shots but they also take a lot of shots. With the way LA's defense has played so far this season, Mason isn't going to fare much better. Sure in a full season I expect Mason's GAA to improve a lot, and save percentage to improve slightly, however people will realize LA isn't some god tier defensive team, and realize Philly isn't some peasant tier defensive team.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Besides the money, if Minny was going to cough up Coyle, who would LA be giving up? We don't have the assets to give...

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Mason is a great goalie, however if anyone thinks Mason is going to post Vezina numbers because of the "drastic" difference in defense are fooling themselves. Flyers give up a lot of shots and are prone to WTF mistakes, however they're actually a team that forces the opposition to perimeter shots, and visible shots. They also play a style where they give up a lot of shots but they also take a lot of shots. With the way LA's defense has played so far this season, Mason isn't going to fare much better. Sure in a full season I expect Mason's GAA to improve a lot, and save percentage to improve slightly, however people will realize LA isn't some god tier defensive team, and realize Philly isn't some peasant tier defensive team.

This is what most people are missing. Getting a better backup isn't the only problem LA has right now. Spending assets to slightly improve things and not fix anything doesn't make sense.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Need a better title than "Mason to Kings"! Sounds like a trade!

Also, would now be a good time to mention this was Eklund's rumour first? :laugh:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Elliotte Friedman just dropped Mason's name as a possibility to LA & Brian Lawton said Mase for Charlie Coyle was discussed a yr ago. What?

Can't believe that there was much discussion from the Wild side on that, other than No.

Evergreen

Besides the money, if Minny was going to cough up Coyle, who would LA be giving up? We don't have the assets to give...

Hypothetically, I think Pearson would be a good comparable to Coyle. But trading Pearson wouldn't make much sense for the Kings, especially after losing Lucic.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I added a question mark to the title as to eliminate any confusion about if he was saying a trade took place

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Kings aren't giving up what the flyers will ask for a few month rental.
There has to be a cheaper stop gap.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Friedman also mentioned Berra as a much more likely option. I'd rather pay the smaller price and give him a shot. He was real good in Colorado last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad