News Article: Kings make second round of cuts from training camp

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
This likely means more cuts than just Van Der Gulik too. Seems that sometimes whose on waivers comes out quicker than the actual cuts. I'd imagine we'll here a few more names by the end of today or early tomorrow.

They did cut 4 players on Sunday

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732162

You're right, even more could come today or maybe after the game at San Jose on Tue. The roster is down to 32, with one of the players being Bodnarchuk, who is injured (unfortunate he is not getting some time, great year in Manchester last year).

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In addition to Van Der Gulik, LoVerde, Shore and Dowd all sent down as well.

Bubble players still in camp are Weal, Andreoff, Cracknell, McNabb, Schultz and Berube.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Weally strange.....

Not really, Weal has had an excellent camp. He deserves to stay up and make final cuts.

I still don't think Weal or Andy make the team though, they will be waived.

Weal is not going to play wing, or be a bottom six center(with Stoll/Richards/Lewis here).. Andy has had a lackluster camp, and is still up, that's surprising.

Cracknell and McNabb are the only guys going to stick I believe.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Figured there'd be more cuts than just Van Der Hosen.

Dowd going down makes sense but by all accounts he really proved himself well in camp from what I have read. Good to hear, hopefully he continues it down in Manchester.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Dowd and Shore played really well, those two are looking good for the future.

Both guys are perfect molds for Bottom six Centers, with offensive upside.

Dowd/Shore have size, decent hands, High Hockey IQ. Shore is very good in the circle, Dowd needs work there.

Both play 200ft at all times. Looking good.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Shore is very good in the circle, Dowd needs work there.

That may be their reputation, but Shore needs some work against stronger players. In his three full games, his FO% was 33, 39 and 25% respectively.

Dowd was 43 and 45% respectively.

Small sample size, but an indication where they may be actually at this point and time.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Cheering for Weal to make the roster. Not really necessary to have Nolan AND Cracknell riding the pine. Same type of player. Weal can be plugged in the top nine if need be.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Weal>>Cracknell>>Andreoff so far this training camp.

For once we agree on something. Weal really has looked pretty damn good in the games I've seen him in.

They had to give up Vey since there was no room for him, but between Weal, Shore and Dowd, Lombardi and Sutter are going to have to make some tough decisions in trying to find where these guys can play before they lose them.

But that is a luxury of riches this team never had before. A sign of a team drafting quite well in the first round when other teams covet your drafted talent.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
But that is a luxury of riches this team never had before. A sign of a team drafting quite well in the first round when other teams covet your drafted talent.

It used to be we'd hope 3 or 4 rookies could break in a year to replace the dead weight on the roster. Now there's little fat to trim and it's a feeling that still takes some getting used to.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I'd say more 2nd round than 1st. We've hit some out of the park and looked less than great on others. We seem to be nearly golden in round two though, which bodes well for the 2014 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad